7th Station ~TV, movies, games~

Morning Musume。'14, Berryz Kobo, ℃-ute, S/mileage, Juice=Juice, Hello!Project, TNX, and more

Moderator: Moh

Re: 7th Station ~TV, movies, games~

Postby Celedam » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:30 am

Oh. That. I was thinking more of the dramatic weight of those characters' individual journeys and then reunion.

Couldn't you just say "War of the Roses" or "Mary and Elizabeth Tudor"? You're a graduate student, so your friends should be educated enough to understand those references, right?

;)
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby Nayoko-Kihara » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:22 pm

The current season of "Face Off" has been the most mediocre in a while, in regards not only to the contestants but also the challenges and the creations. It's still an enjoyable and friendly competition, but now I'm stuck anticipating the next season more than I am the winner of this season. :lol:
Nayoko-Kihara
Devoted Devotee

Postby Celedam » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:14 pm

Game of Thrones S07E05 (13 Aug 2017)

"He's right. We're all on the same side."

"How can we be?"

"We're all breathing."

Anyhow, a look back…

…and a look ahead…

Spoiler: show
And still more awkward reunions…

Gotta love the nod to the meme, tho. :hehe:
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby Nayoko-Kihara » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:48 pm

I watched the first episode of the 2017 "DuckTales" reboot. Not enough positives to put effort into keeping up with it.
1. Mrs. Beakley's new broad-shouldered body builder design and stern character are entirely unpleasant. Worst character transfer.
2. The sharp art style annoys me (this isn't a complaint specific to this show, I'm just not a huge fan of this style).
3. Huey, Dewey, and Louie generally sound like teenagers/young adults instead of kids. The VAs don't sound like they're really trying that hard. I would've liked it more had they cast actual kids or just went the route of female VAs.
4. New adventerous Webby is more entertaining than her former incarnation (less whiny). Her voice fits better than the triplets, but is still not quite there for me. Part of that is because Kate Micucci's voice is too easily recognized. Still though, not bad.
5. Scrooge, Donald, and Launchpad were fine.
Nayoko-Kihara
Devoted Devotee

Postby Celedam » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:56 pm

Nayoko-Kihara wrote:The sharp art style annoys me (this isn't a complaint specific to this show, I'm just not a huge fan of this style).

It appears to be a throwback to the "mid-century modern" style of magazine illustrations from the '50s and early '60s…

…which is more faithful to the Disney comics of that time — the comics in which most of those characters and stories were introduced (more info) — than the '80s after-school cartoons ever were.

In other words, this 2017 reboot is a second adaptation of the original material that also incorporates some elements from the first adaptation. It's not really fair to compare the two adaptations to each other.

That being said, however… yeah, I don't like it either. I understand what they're doing and why, but I'm a child of the '80s and I grew up with those after-school cartoons.

(i'm intrigued by the timing, though. our pop culture appears to be stuck in a 30-year loop, exploiting the same intellectual property over and over again, merely updating it a bit for current sensibilities.)

Nayoko-Kihara wrote:Huey, Dewey, and Louie generally sound like teenagers/young adults instead of kids. The VAs don't sound like they're really trying that hard. I would've liked it more had they cast actual kids or just went the route of female VAs.

I'm conflicted about this because the VO director is Sam Riegel of Critical Role fame. I want to like it for his sake — he and David Tennant are the only reasons why I'm interested at all in this — but again, yeah…
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby Nayoko-Kihara » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:50 pm

You aren't wrong, they probably shouldn't be directly compared. I knew I would end up doing it regardless of whatever effort I tried to put into doing otherwise, so I gave in and watched it with that mindset anyway. I'm hoping the rest of the reboots / remakes / continuations I'm waiting for will be a little more to my taste.

(Oddly, the DTales art style doesn't bother me as much in still images. Except for Beakley, her design is terrible consistently.)
Nayoko-Kihara
Devoted Devotee

Postby Celedam » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:06 am

Celedam wrote:
Celedam wrote:"You're on the same side."

"I'm not looking for super friends."

It's here.

Unfortunately, the reviews are... mixed.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/78380
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby Celedam » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:24 pm

Game of Thrones S07E06 (20 Aug 2017)

"You should get some rest."

Anyhow, a look back…

…and a look ahead…

But how about that javelin throw, eh?

I'm just wondering how long Jon's company was on that islet. I think it's silly to complain about travel times in a show like this — not just because it's fantasy but also because there are obvious time jumps between scenes — but in this case there definitely was a clock running.

So let's say a day for Gendry to run from the company back to Eastwatch, three days for a raven to fly from Eastwatch to Dragonstone, and then another two days for Daenerys to fly to the company's rescue. (I think those are reasonable estimates, based on calculations that can be provided upon request.) Do we believe the company was trapped there for six days?

The editing certainly implies there was a long wait, at least long enough for the lake to refreeze and for Thoros to die from exposure without anyone noticing, but we were never shown anyone camping or sleeping. It seems like everyone (except Thoros) stood watch the entire time.

This is what I don't like about this season. It's rushing to a conclusion and getting sloppy in the process. It's all very cinematic and crowd-pleasing, but that means it's also significantly dumber.
Last edited by Celedam on Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby CaptainBerryzGiraffe » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:24 pm

^
I totally agree on the last part, it's getting super sloppy and half the time feels rushed. They say there wasn't enough material to fit into 10 episodes,
but personally I see enough things they could easily have included, or lengthened, to not only make it more understandable, but also make it less sloppy and rushed-feeling.
No Berryz, No Life.
Please people, I'm a "he" not a "she".
CaptainBerryzGiraffe
Devotee

Location: A giant crocodile-shaped island next to a huge apple
Favorite Idol: Cappy, Daaishi, Duu, Maho

Postby resop2 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:37 am

resop2
Skeptic

PreviousNext

Return to Hello! Project