Random Thread ~The Duck Saga Pt. 17~

Morning Musume。'14, Berryz Kobo, ℃-ute, S/mileage, Juice=Juice, Hello!Project, TNX, and more

Moderator: Moh

Re: Random Thread ~The Duck Saga Pt. 17~

Postby erilaz » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:48 pm

There were some legal problems between Kathy Valentine and the others in recent years, and the last time I saw them (in 2013) Abby Travis was filling in on bass. But Kathy's back in the group now, and we're supposed to have the full classic lineup during this summer's tour.

TU, did you ever get to see them in their early punk days?
"Experience in the acquisition of European languages can help you to learn Japanese about as much as it could help you to acquire the language spoken by the inhabitants of Mars." — Lafcadio Hearn
erilaz

Favorite Idol: 矢口真里

Postby TotallyUncool » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:17 pm

I saw them at least once that I remember, at a downstairs ballroom at the Hollywood Roosevelt. It was when they'd just started, and their sound was still pretty much raw punk - they were on a bill with the Mau Maus and the Germs. The main thing I remember about that gig was that the hotel management shut off the power during the Germs' set, and Darby tried to start a riot, but none of us were up to it, so the whole thing fizzled out with him breaking a mirror in the ballroom, but not much else. XD

Not too long after that, I moved back to Santa Maria, and my contact with the l. A. punks and post-punk scene becam very intermittent, so I missed a lot of gigs that were probably quite interesting.

Spoiler: show
I actually knew Charlotte from the pre-punk era (when she was in Manuel and the Gardeners), and after she and Joe Ramirez formed the Eyes, I got them their first gig at the Masque. I haven't seen her to talk to in decades - after the Go-Go's hit, she pretty much dropped contact with a lot of her old friends (and I can't really blame her, for a lot of reasons), but of the people I knew and hung out with during that era, she was always one of my favorites.
If madness made us strong, we would all be invincible.
TotallyUncool
#Member

Location: Gaslighting myself, but then again, I would do that, wouldn't I?
Favorite Idol: Siao Fongfong '66

Postby SaebaRyo » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:06 am

It's mid April and I still can't put away my toque, gloves and scarf. Wake to to see my neighbourhood is a sheet of white.
SaebaRyo

Postby Celedam » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:33 am

Ditto — freezing rain here, and my parents up north are still getting buried in snow.
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby erilaz » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:27 am

TotallyUncool wrote:I saw them at least once that I remember, at a downstairs ballroom at the Hollywood Roosevelt. It was when they'd just started, and their sound was still pretty much raw punk - they were on a bill with the Mau Maus and the Germs. (snip)

The raw demos and early live tracks on the first disc of Return to the Valley of the Go-Go's are so damn good; I wish more of that stuff were available.

I love hearing these stories of the L.A. art and music scene back in the day. Another friend of mine occasionally blows my mind with his reminiscences. He was friends with Susan Tyrell, shared an apartment with Leigh Taylor-Young, worked with John Doe at Brentano's, was in a play with John Drew Barrymore (and held Barrymore's little daughter Drew in his lap)....
"Experience in the acquisition of European languages can help you to learn Japanese about as much as it could help you to acquire the language spoken by the inhabitants of Mars." — Lafcadio Hearn
erilaz

Postby TotallyUncool » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:24 am

There were so many strange things that went on - on one hand, it was a lot like being an irresponsible art/party wanker back in Santa Maria, only in a bigger and noisier town (the back alleys of Hollywood), and on the other hand, just about everything (including the most wankish and irresponsible things) somehow became legendary. And of course, so much of it is just a blur now... XD
TotallyUncool
#Member

Postby Starra » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:02 pm

So it's been 3 years since my brother died. We, uh, finally buried his ashes today, as my mum hadn't been ready until now to do it (it's also kinda hard when you're living in another city).
♡中澤裕子・紺野あさ美・萩原舞・尾形春水・金澤朋子・田村芽実・梁川奈々美・加賀楓・上國料萌衣・清野桃々姫・山﨑愛生・鞘師里保・須藤茉麻♡
Starra
Prophet

Favorite Idol: Nakazawa Yuuko

Postby TotallyUncool » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:13 pm

That sounds like a hard thing to do. I hope that you and your mother are doing OK emotionally.
TotallyUncool
#Member

Postby rikkikow » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:32 am

My street was covered white for awhile this morning.
My yard a couple hours later:
Who are we?
rikkikow
Minion

Postby esm » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:40 am

Yeah it's snowing here. At least we didn't get a blizzard. My friends in Minneapolis are getting a snow day, and it takes a lot of snow for there to be a snow day there.
esm
Devotee

Favorite Idol: Reina, Eripon, Nakky

Postby erilaz » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:03 pm

rikkikow wrote:My street was covered white for awhile this morning.

No hail in my neighborhood, or if there was, it all melted before I left the house.
erilaz

Postby Celedam » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:05 pm

This morning, R. Lee Ermey (Full Metal Jacket).

This evening, Harry Anderson (Night Court).

And Barbara Bush is waiting on deck in hospice.

Yup, it’s been one of those days.
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby Shoujo Q » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:54 am

I haven't been on much. Combo of new work position. Gaming and my uncle dying (he's not dead yet, but he is dying). The slow painful kind of death where you watch someone who was fine a few months ago and then, just start to wither away. It's been hard on the family to watch him suffer. I really can't talk about it much on facebook with respect to my cousins who are all taking this very hard as well as my mother and her elder brother who are in shock at it. He's the youngest, so in there eyes should still be fine.

Anyway~ enough morbid talk.

Back to a few pages ago. I found this book about a stamp. Its been sitting in my office for years. One of the owners of the company had a box full of them and I took one because, they were just sitting there. It's about one of the most expensive stamps in the world and I have NO clue why he had a box full of the same book. I've yet to skim through it to see if he's in it or something.
But I don't want the book anymore so I was wondering if anyone here wanted it. :D
Shoujo Q

Favorite Idol: Suu-san

Postby TotallyUncool » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:42 am

I hope that things go as well as they can for your uncle and for you and your family. It is a very hard thing to go through.

The book sounds interesting, but I think it's go erilaz' name all over it.

For some reason the book reminded me that there was an article in Smithsonian magazine several years ago about molded white plastic chair (the kind that are all over the place), which may be one of the least collectible items on the planet.
TotallyUncool
#Member

Postby erilaz » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:06 pm

Shoujo Q wrote:Back to a few pages ago. I found this book about a stamp. Its been sitting in my office for years. One of the owners of the company had a box full of them and I took one because, they were just sitting there. It's about one of the most expensive stamps in the world and I have NO clue why he had a box full of the same book. I've yet to skim through it to see if he's in it or something.
But I don't want the book anymore so I was wondering if anyone here wanted it. :D

Which book about which stamp?
erilaz

Postby Celedam » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:56 pm

Celedam wrote:This morning, R. Lee Ermey (Full Metal Jacket).

This evening, Harry Anderson (Night Court).

And Barbara Bush is waiting on deck in hospice.

That's three…

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/17/us/barbara-bush-dead.html

…unless you don't count her as a celebrity — in which case, NPR's Carl Kasell (Morning Edition, Wait Wait Don't Tell Me) can be number three. He beat her by a few hours…

https://www.npr.org/templates/transcript/transcript.php?storyId=528656453
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby Shoujo Q » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:54 am

erilaz wrote:
Shoujo Q wrote:Back to a few pages ago. I found this book about a stamp. Its been sitting in my office for years. One of the owners of the company had a box full of them and I took one because, they were just sitting there. It's about one of the most expensive stamps in the world and I have NO clue why he had a box full of the same book. I've yet to skim through it to see if he's in it or something.

Which book about which stamp?

The Treskilling Yellow: The Most Valuable Thing in the World
By Lars Fimmerstad

Apparently the book must be out of print now because google tells me it's pretty expensive to buy now.
If you saw where I've been keeping it all these years, a true book lover would whip me silly. :lol:

I should have snagged more copies. :mikihead:
Shoujo Q

Favorite Idol: Suu-san

Postby TotallyUncool » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:05 am

Shoujo Q wrote:If you saw where I've been keeping it all these years, a true book lover would whip me silly. :lol:

Did it involve a piece of furniture that was missing a leg? XD
TotallyUncool
#Member

Postby erilaz » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:55 pm

Shoujo Q wrote:The Treskilling Yellow: The Most Valuable Thing in the World
By Lars Fimmerstad

Apparently the book must be out of print now because google tells me it's pretty expensive to buy now.

Specialized philatelic literature is often expensive and out of print. Of the two Esperanto stamp catalogs I have, the smaller one, a pocket-sized paperback from 1987, is available from sellers on Amazon and AbeBooks for $55. I can't find the one from the 1990s, the bigger, better one, for sale anywhere online.

I wouldn't mind taking the book off your hands, but if I were you, I'd try to sell that thing on Amazon and get a good chunk o' change!

Shoujo Q wrote:I should have snagged more copies. :mikihead:

Of course, the big question is how many people (if any) are actually paying those $100+ asking prices for this book. (Not me, I'm afraid. It would have to be more necessary and relevant to my specializations.)
erilaz

Postby rikkikow » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:38 pm

DUCKS
No sign of them yesterday but today I found them around the corner from my house in deep lawn again. I think that other house mowed their lawn. XD My lawn is longer too! Shouldn’t be too long I think for them to show up on my street again.
Who are we?
rikkikow
Minion

PreviousNext

Return to Hello! Project