Last movie you watched

Manga, Anime, Gaming, Sports, TV, Film

Moderators: Sohee, Moh

Re: Last movie you watched

Postby erilaz » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:45 pm

^ Wow, it really seems to polarize the audience. Nearly all the Netflix user reviews are either five stars or one. XD

My most recent movie: Soul Kitchen (2009), a comedy by Turkish-German director Fatih Akın. Greek-German Zinos Kazantsakis owns a diner in Hamburg with loyal customers who like his crappy food. Zinos has to deal with his girlfriend moving to Shanghai, and things get shaken up at the diner after he reconnects with a classmate from elementary school, hires a temperamental chef who was fired from a fancy restaurant, and finds his brother out of jail on limited parole, looking for a job (or at least a signed statement certifying that he has a job). I enjoyed it.
"Sometimes it seems as though the whole point of the Japanese writing system is to keep non-Japanese people from understanding what the hell is going on." — Dave Barry
erilaz
Lazarus

Favorite Idol: 矢口真里

Postby Zunu » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:09 am

I saw that. Yeah, it was surprisingly not unenjoyable, and Smith has a good cartoon voice.
tending to put ~ on song titles since 2002
Zunu
Pantaloon

Favorite Idol: 能登有沙

Postby erilaz » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:37 pm

The Mouse That Roared (1959), based on the satirical novel by Leonard Wibberley and starring Peter Sellers, Peter Sellers, and Peter Sellers. The tiny, bankrupt Duchy of Grand Fenwick declares war on the U.S.A., sending an invasion force of 22 men to New York City, so that they can quickly lose the war and reap the benefits of postwar American aid. But you know what happens to the best laid plans o' mice and men....

I'd forgotten that William Hartnell and Leo McKern were in this movie, before they became the First Doctor and Number 2 respectively.
"Sometimes it seems as though the whole point of the Japanese writing system is to keep non-Japanese people from understanding what the hell is going on." — Dave Barry
erilaz
Lazarus

Postby esm » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:59 am

Since it's been discussed here... I watched Neo Yokio. I don't really know how I feel about it. I watched it all just because it's only 6 episodes long. The last episode was pretty good, but I didn't really like the first five.
esm

Favorite Idol: Reina, Eripon, Nakky

Postby erilaz » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:31 am

The Foreigner (2017) — After his daughter (Katie "Cho Chang" Leung) is killed in a terrorist bombing, the owner of a Chinese restaurant in London seeks vengeance. And since he's played by Jackie Chan, you know his very particular set of skills will go far beyond making Kung Pao Chicken....
erilaz
Lazarus

Postby Amped » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:40 pm

Blade Runner 2049 - the dark and deep sequel to the 1982 film. I liked it. There quite a bit Japanese signage and language used in the movie. Its like Japan took over dark Los Angeles in 2049.
Amped
High Priest

Favorite Idol: 工どう由愛

Postby erilaz » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:13 pm

I saw two films at the Pacific Film Archive today:

Horse Feathers (1932) — Classic Marx Brothers zaniness. Quincy Adams Wagstaff (Groucho), the new president of Huxley University, mistakenly recruits goofballs Baravelli (Chico) and Pinky (Harpo) for his school's football team on the eve of the big game against Darwin University.

"Whatever it is, I'm against it!"

Window to America (美國之窗) (1952)

A New York City businessman meets a window washer hoping to commit suicide and decides to market his grief to the highest bidder in this acidic satire on American capitalism, one made even more memorable by the fact that the entire “American” cast are Chinese actors in whiteface. The greedy Mr. Butler (Shi Hui) convinces the suicidal “Charley” that he might as well endorse some cigarettes as he jumps out of his office window, and maybe wear a particular suit too. A true cinematic oddity, this Korean War–era propaganda piece is a satire that Frank Tashlin could envy.

https://bampfa.org/event/window-america
erilaz
Lazarus

Postby erilaz » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:57 pm

Celedam wrote:Actress Yuu Aoi likes ANGERME…

I just saw her in Tokyo Ghoul (東京喰種 トーキョーグール) this evening at a special screening in Berkeley. Unfortunately, even though she had an important role, she didn't have much screen time.
erilaz
Lazarus

Postby erilaz » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:58 pm

Miike Takashi's 100th(!) film, Blade of the Immortal (無限の住人) — A young girl, out for revenge against the men who killed her father and abducted her mother, seeks the aid of a samurai who cannot be killed, played by SMAP's Kimura Takuya. The cast also includes Toda Erika (who kicks ass) and Kuriyama Chiaki (with blonde hair, but with very little to do in her tiny cameo). As he did in 13 Assassins, Miike fills his jidai-geki with plenty of ultra-violence and a high body count. Fun stuff!

erilaz
Lazarus

Postby Moh » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:55 pm

I saw a few movies while I was in MS during the hurricane evacuation. I didn't post about them, though!
Movie tickets were cheap in Gulfport, btw. :blink:

Independence Day: Those special effects sure were something 20 years ago. :fear: Plot was better than the sequel, though.
The Dark Tower: I haven't read the book(s). Truthfully, I went to see this cause I like Idris Elba. It ended up being a decent movie!
Guardians of the Galaxy: Volume 2: Uhhhh I stopped caring about superhero movies a long time ago. I never saw the first one. The best parts were the soundtrack and baby Groot.
John Wick: I need to see this uninterrupted because I really enjoyed what I saw. :lol:

And today I saw Zootopia! It was fun. Why wasn't Try Everything a massive hit like Let It Go? :roll:
Moh
Prophet

Favorite Idol: 鈴木愛理・段原瑠々・島倉りか・北原もも

PreviousNext

Return to TALK: General Talk