7th Station ~TV, movies, games~

Morning Musume。'14, Berryz Kobo, ℃-ute, S/mileage, Juice=Juice, Hello!Project, TNX, and more

Moderator: Moh

Re: 7th Station ~TV, movies, games~

Postby Nayoko-Kihara » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:26 pm

I'm getting tired of period shows that toss in modern music to be trendy.
Nayoko-Kihara
Devoted Devotee

Postby erilaz » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:24 pm

^ In general I agree with you, but I enjoyed the gimmick in A Knight's Tale (2001).
"Sometimes it seems as though the whole point of the Japanese writing system is to keep non-Japanese people from understanding what the hell is going on." — Dave Barry
erilaz
Lazarus

Favorite Idol: 矢口真里

Postby Nayoko-Kihara » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:31 pm

It's nice sometimes, but it's cropping up too often for me lately (of course this is likely just coincidental because of what and when I'm choosing to watch). I'm trying to hold out interest in "Will" on TNT, but it's particular mixture of modern and old is right on the edge of being annoying.
Nayoko-Kihara
Devoted Devotee

Postby Zunu » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:32 pm

The flip side of that are futuristic shows where the main characters have an interest in classic rock or disco. That worked in Guardians of the Galaxy because that AM era mixtape is all the music Peter knows, but it's jarring to me when the characters are from the 23rd century or whatever and just so happen to be big Beastie Boys fans.
tending to put ~ on song titles since 2002
Zunu
Pantaloon

Favorite Idol: 能登有沙

Postby Celedam » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:32 am

Zunu wrote:The flip side of that are futuristic shows where the main characters have an interest in classic rock or disco. That worked in Guardians of the Galaxy because that AM era mixtape is all the music Peter knows

Hmm…

Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby esm » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:23 am

Zunu wrote:GoT

Spoiler: show
The pathos of Jaime is that everything he does, including this latest escapade, is driven by one thing, his love for his sister over all else. And for that reason, one thing is certain -- it's not possible for him to have a happy ending to his story. He's accursed no matter what he does. The best he can hope for is a noble ending, perhaps choosing to save Tyrion over Cersei and live or die with a broken heart. And the same for Cersei, the best she can probably hope for is to be slain by her brother. I mean in theory GRRM and/or Weiss/Benioff could just ignore the entire history of tragic drama and allow Jaime and Cersei to skip off into the sunset, but that's not really in keeping with what we have seen in this world. Deaths may seem arbitrary but they usually do have a moral or at least dramatically solid underpinning. Robb done in by arrogance. Catlyn paid the price for her irrational (and turns out completely misplaced) hatred of Jon Snow. Ygritte because Jon broke his vows. Stannis because he killed his daughter. Myrcella cursed by her parentage. Sand snakes, sweet poetic justice.

I agree with this, though my point isn't that they wouldn't kill Jaime -- just not in that scene that way, at the very end of an episode like that, without getting another scene with Cersei or Tyrion, etc. I think there are lots of discussions about this online, and others have said it better than I probably can.
esm

Favorite Idol: Reina, Eripon, Nakky

Postby CaptainBerryzGiraffe » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:34 pm

esm wrote:
Zunu wrote:GoT

I agree with this, though my point isn't that they wouldn't kill Jaime -- just not in that scene that way, at the very end of an episode like that, without getting another scene with Cersei or Tyrion, etc. I think there are lots of discussions about this online, and others have said it better than I probably can.

Jon Snow died at the very end of an episode just like that...
No Berryz, No Life.
Please people, I'm a "he" not a "she".
CaptainBerryzGiraffe
Devotee

Location: A giant crocodile-shaped island next to a huge apple
Favorite Idol: Cappy, Daaishi, Duu, Maho

Postby esm » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:03 pm

^

That's difference because --skipping the fact that he came back to life--

1. That was how the 5th book ended, so in a way the show was just following the book.

2. He wasn't just quickly killed off in a battle, where the chance of dying could be pretty high anyway (depending on the circumstances of the battle). The murder was planned, and it fit in with what had been going on. From the very beginning until now in the show, he has always been in the position where he can't just save everyone and make everyone happy at the same time. It made sense that some of his own people would have attempted to kill him.

Also, I forgot to say Arya was badass as hell in that training scene with Brienne. She had the most perfect facial expressions.
esm

Postby Celedam » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:31 am

GoT

Okay, this got me...

http://grahamewill.tumblr.com/post/163890300897

Like esm said...

esm wrote:Last week when I was watching the episode with someone who had only seen like three episodes of the series, I was like... yeah, I can't explain to you the background to any of these scenes.
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby esm » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:14 am

"Wait, she's the queen? I thought the other one's the queen." -- also takes a bit to explain, especially when the King in the North was also just mentioned
esm

PreviousNext

Return to Hello! Project