Last movie you watched

Manga, Anime, Gaming, Sports, TV, Film

Moderators: Sohee, Moh

Re: Last movie you watched

Postby erilaz » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:39 pm

^ I haven't had a chance to watch it yet, but I added it to My List after I saw Tilda Swinton promoting it on one of the late night talk shows. The director, Bong Joon Ho, has directed a couple of my favorite Korean films, Barking Dogs Never Bite and The Host.
"Sometimes it seems as though the whole point of the Japanese writing system is to keep non-Japanese people from understanding what the hell is going on." — Dave Barry
erilaz
Lazarus

Favorite Idol: 矢口真里

Postby erilaz » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:05 pm

The Old Dark House — An entertaining pre-Code horror-comedy from 1932, directed by James Whale (Frankenstein, The Invisible Man, The Bride of Frankenstein). During a violent rainstorm, travelers are stranded at a spooky old house in the Welsh mountains, inhabited by a strange family and their bearded, scarred, mute butler, played by the great Boris Karloff.
"Sometimes it seems as though the whole point of the Japanese writing system is to keep non-Japanese people from understanding what the hell is going on." — Dave Barry
erilaz
Lazarus

Postby Zunu » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:06 pm

I recently watched Alien: Covenant and Life (2017), not exactly back to back, but within a couple of weeks of each other. In my opinion, Life, which was basically a ripoff of the Alien "claustrophobic death ship" trope, was a much better Alien movie than Covenant. The characters were better rounded. Their motivations were clearer. Their unforced errors were more reasonable and more organically derived. The twist ending was a better twist. Covenant was just frustrating because the characters made all the stupid mistakes that the crew made in Prometheus. I understand that there was no way for them to learn from the mistakes of another crew in a different film but they didn't even learn from their own mistakes in the same goddamn film they were already in.
tending to put ~ on song titles since 2002
Zunu
Pantaloon

Favorite Idol: 能登有沙

Postby rikkikow » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:28 am

^ You would think movie characters had never seen a sci-fi movie before. Everybody knows that you never, ever, open the freaking air lock for anybody! :hehe:
Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.
Panda-san! Panda-san Power! Panda -san!
rikkikow

Postby Zunu » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:26 am

Also, "let's split up to cover more ground" is never a good idea in any movie ever.
tending to put ~ on song titles since 2002
Zunu
Pantaloon

Favorite Idol: 能登有沙

Postby Nayoko-Kihara » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:47 pm

We had a free HBO & Cinemax trial over the weekend, I've been slowly combing through the things that were recorded.

Hacksaw Ridge ★★★★★
I loved this, my dad loved this, my uncle probably loved it, I will be telling my mother and sister to watch it. I haven't cared much about Andrew Garfield up until now, but I might keep an eye out after watching this.

Good Will Hunting ★★★
I'd never seen this before today and it isn't one that family members have tried to make me watch or one I've seen tons of clips from online already, so I wasn't entirely sure of what to expect. It was enjoyable. I feel no need to watch it again, but I wouldn't object if someone else wanted to.

The Accountant ★★
This was okay. It didn't live up to what I wanted it to be, but I liked the main character. The premise would be very suited to a TV series, and I think a longer format would've helped with the pacing.

Ted 2
I liked it more than the first one? I expected stupid and I got stupid; it passed the time between grocery trips okay.

Keeping Up With the Jonses
Wanted to give it a chance because of Zach Galifianakis. That was a mistake.

Batman vs Superman
I love Batman. My family is a Batman family. This was ugly crap.

Beginner's Guide to Sex -★
This is one of the worst things I've ever watched.
Nayoko-Kihara
Devoted Devotee

Postby erilaz » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:52 pm

Tuesday evening I went to a free screening (with free popcorn!) of Jordan Peele's Get Out (2017) at my local public library. A young white woman takes her black boyfriend to meet her wealthy parents out in the country. The parents seem nice enough, but the boyfriend starts noticing some creepy, weird goings-on.... A very enjoyable horror film! (Or is it a thriller? Sometimes it's a comedy.)
erilaz
Lazarus

Postby Nayoko-Kihara » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:15 pm

^ I'm really looking forward to watching that (eventually). I hope I haven't gotten my hopes up too high - that's happened with the last two horror/thriller movies I was excited to see.
Nayoko-Kihara
Devoted Devotee

Postby Moh » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:26 am

I wanna see that movie, too. Maybe Redbox will still have it next week.
Moh
Prophet

Favorite Idol: 鈴木愛理・段原瑠々・島倉りか・北原もも

Postby erilaz » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:36 pm

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (2017) — It's chock-full of spectacular visuals (the reason I opted to see it on the big screen), but it just didn't have the appeal or the oomph of Besson's earlier sci-fi masterpiece, The Fifth Element. Valerian and Laureline are weaksauce compared to Korben Dallas and Leeloo.

Movie 43 (2013) — Big-name stars in a collection of seriously effed-up sketches, with a 4% score on Rotten Tomatoes. I enjoyed it more than I probably should have. If you're easily offended — by anything — you should avoid it at all costs. Even so, I still found it far less offensive than some of the stuff I've been seeing on the news recently....
erilaz
Lazarus

PreviousNext

Return to TALK: General Talk