7th Station ~TV, movies, games~

Morning Musume。'14, Berryz Kobo, ℃-ute, S/mileage, Juice=Juice, Hello!Project, TNX, and more

Moderator: Moh

Re: 7th Station ~TV, movies, games~

Postby erilaz » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:16 pm

erilaz wrote:Tokyo Idols is playing at the San Francisco Documentary Film Festival next month. I’ve bought my ticket for the Sunday screening.

http://prod3.agileticketing.net/websale ... d919a3c410

I just got home from seeing this. Obviously it didn't tell me anything I didn't already know about the Japanese idol phenomenon, but I thought it did a decent job of presenting the subject to an audience that (for the most part) probably knew little or nothing about it. I thought it was a pretty balanced depiction without any blatantly negative agenda, though some reviews that I read seemed to think otherwise. With no narrator and a limited number of onscreen captions to give some background and identify the people in the film, it let the idols, their fans, and sometimes the idols' parents do most of the talking. They also had a handful of media and academic talking heads (including Hyadain) giving their views. One male sociologist and one female journalist provided most of the negative comments about the idol industry and especially the fans. Will most American viewers come away from the film thinking that middle-aged, male, idol otaku are perverted, pathetic losers, despite the film's even-handed treatment? Well, yeah. But what else would you expect?

As for the dramatis personae, none of the H!P girls appear in the documentary, though we do get a few shots of an Up Up Girls (仮) handshake event. Most of the film focuses on solo idol Hiiragi Rio and her 43-year-old super-fan Koji, but we also get bits on Yuka from P.IDL, Amu from Harajuku Monogatari, Yuzu from Amore Carina, and Ōshima Ryōka from AKB48 (not so much her as her wota).

Here's an intelligent article about the film, including an informative interview with director Miyake Kyōko:
http://moveablefest.com/moveable_fest/2 ... idols.html
"Sometimes it seems as though the whole point of the Japanese writing system is to keep non-Japanese people from understanding what the hell is going on." — Dave Barry
erilaz
Lazarus

Favorite Idol: 矢口真里

Postby erilaz » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:55 am

Celedam wrote:A reminder that Kimi no Na wa. (Your Name.), one of the most successful and best reviewed anime films ever, is getting a limited theatrical release in the U.S. and Canada this Friday…

It's been playing at the California Theatre in downtown Berkeley for two months now. Remarkable. They stopped showing the dub four weeks ago, but the subtitled version will still be showing for another week at least.
"Sometimes it seems as though the whole point of the Japanese writing system is to keep non-Japanese people from understanding what the hell is going on." — Dave Barry
erilaz
Lazarus

Postby resop2 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:19 pm

Nayoko-Kihara wrote:^ If they were seriously going to do it I think a "Princess Jellyfish" art style would suffice (but something like "Kimi ni Todoke" would be interesting next to the harsh personalities in the show - as much as those would carry over anyway).

If they transliterate names, Morgandorffer would be rendered as Asanomura (朝の村).
resop2
Skeptic

Postby erilaz » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:41 am

^ Sorry to be pedantic, but that would be a translation, not a transliteration. A transliteration is merely a conversion from one writing system to another, not from one language to another. In the strictest sense, it's a letter-for-letter conversion from one alphabet to another. For example, my username erilaz (or erilaR) is a transliteration into Latin letters of a Proto-Norse word that was originally written in early Germanic runes.

Since I'm already in pedant mode, two more points:
1. The character's name is spelt Morgendorffer, not Morgandorffer.
2. As a rule, the hiragana の isn't used to link two elements in a surname, even in those relatively rare cases where "no" is pronounced, such as "Inoue" (井上). Asamura is far more likely than Asanomura, and does in fact exist as a Japanese surname.
erilaz
Lazarus

Re: Random Thread ~Duck Tales~

Postby Amped » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:43 am

Duck Tales theme song 2017
Amped
High Priest

Favorite Idol: 工どう由愛

Postby Zunu » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:50 am

Attack on Titan: O~HHH!
tending to put ~ on song titles since 2002
Zunu
Pantaloon

Favorite Idol: 能登有沙

Postby Celedam » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:28 am

^ Yup.
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby CaptainBerryzGiraffe » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:22 am

I should probably read the manga... but oh the show is just so good and i don't wanna have to read through all that again, knowing there's also slightly differing story elements... can't wait for season 3 in (supposed) 2018
No Berryz, No Life.
Please people, I'm a "he" not a "she".
CaptainBerryzGiraffe
Devotee

Location: A giant crocodile-shaped island next to a huge apple
Favorite Idol: Cappy, Daaishi, Duu, Maho

Postby Celedam » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:31 am

"The enemy is real. It's always been real."

SQUEEEEE! :w00t:
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby Celedam » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:18 am

Celedam wrote:I still don't like how Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. shoehorned the Inhumans into the MCU

Celedam wrote:Marvel proper has maneuvered the Inhumans to replace the X-Men in both the comics and the MCU

And here we are…

It looks like it could be really bad, maybe because it's a little too faithful to the comics and therefore too cheesy for live action. About the only thing it doesn't have is Black Bolt's mask and wings…

But Iwan Rheon gives me hope. They're certainly featuring the hell out of him in the promotion. 'Cuz everyone loves to hate Ramsay Bolton.
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

PreviousNext

Return to Hello! Project