Last movie you watched

Manga, Anime, Gaming, Sports, TV, Film

Moderators: Sohee, Moh

Re: Last movie you watched

Postby Zunu » Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:09 pm

Living (2022)

Bill Nighy is quietly extraordinary in this film about an aging (or ageing, as it's known across the pond) civil service department head who realizes that he's led a mundane life and finds himself desperately wanting to change. There's little action to speak of, it's all quiet and mostly terse conversations, "a bit on the frosty side," yet the story moves along briskly, with sprinkles of humo(u)r, and by its conclusion is certain to make viewers reflect upon their own lives. The cinematography is excellent, mimicking the grain and saturation of films from 70 years ago. The screenplay is written by Japanese-British author Kazuo Ishiguro of the books/films "Remains of the Day" and "Never Let Me Go," as a thoroughly English adaptation of Akira Kurosawa's 1952 Ikiru (To Live). If you like Ishiguro's mannered, reserved, economical writing style, then this motion picture will appeal to you. I'm a big fan of Ishiguro's so I loved it.

tending to put ~ on song titles since 2002
Zunu
Pantaloon

Favorite Idol: 能登有沙

Postby erilaz » Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:13 pm

^ I didn't realize that had opened yet — even though it's playing at the theater where I saw the 2023 Oscar-nominated animated shorts this afternoon. XD I loved Kurosawa's Ikiru, and Bill Nighy is always great, so I definitely intend to see it.

Also today, I bought a used Blu-ray of Birdemic: Shock and Terror (2010) for $2.99 and just watched it. One of the most hilariously awful movies ever made, with jaw-droppingly inept CGI effects.
"Sometimes it seems as though the whole point of the Japanese writing system is to keep non-Japanese people from understanding what the hell is going on." — Dave Barry
erilaz
Lazarus

Favorite Idol: 矢口真里

Postby erilaz » Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:26 pm

Zunu wrote:The cinematography is excellent, mimicking the grain and saturation of films from 70 years ago.

Yes, they really captured that look, right down to the font choices for the opening credits. All the more reason to see it in an actual cinema (which I did today).
"Sometimes it seems as though the whole point of the Japanese writing system is to keep non-Japanese people from understanding what the hell is going on." — Dave Barry
erilaz
Lazarus

Postby Zunu » Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:59 am

Cinematography aside, I hope you enjoyed the story. I love the supreme confidence by which Ishiguro is able to map quintessential Japaneseness onto quintessential Britishness. It's a seamless bijection.
tending to put ~ on song titles since 2002
Zunu
Pantaloon

Favorite Idol: 能登有沙

Postby erilaz » Sun Mar 12, 2023 3:09 pm

Heavy Trip (Hevi reissu) (2018) — Impaled Rektum, an unknown band from a small town in rural Finland, goes on a quest to play their "symphonic, post-apocalyptic, reindeer-grinding, Christ-abusing, extreme war pagan Fennoscandic metal" at Northern Damnation, the biggest metal festival in Norway. :rock: Absolutely hilarious! I loved it! :thumbs-up:
erilaz
Lazarus

Postby erilaz » Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:48 am

J.R.R. Tolkien — The 1998 BBC documentary, directed by Julian Birkett. It's a very good introduction to Tolkien, with a fine mix of "talking heads" and archival footage, including interviews with Tolkien himself. I watched it for the first time in many years, since I finally got around to buying the DVD to upgrade from my old VHS dub. It's a joy to watch Tolkien as he writes in Tengwar ("I've made a mistake, haven't I?" — actually more than one), to see Denis Bridoux by Tolkien's grave, chanting the early version of "Namárië" (as Tolkien recorded it, before he reached the version published in The Lord of the Rings), and to see some familiar faces from the Tolkien Society discussing one of the Elvish poems from "A Secret Vice". Several of the people who appear in the documentary are either friends or acquaintances of mine, so it was fun seeing them again as they were a quarter-century ago.
erilaz
Lazarus

Postby erilaz » Sun Apr 09, 2023 12:53 pm

Smoking Causes Coughing (Fumer fait tousser) (2022) — A group of five superheroes called the Tobacco Force aren't at the top of their game, so their Chief (who looks a lot like Trevor from Peter Jackson's Meet the Feebles) sends them to a retreat, where they tell each other scary stories while an extraterrestrial villain plans to destroy the Earth.

John Waters raves: "A superhero movie for idiots! One of the best films of the year!” It's pretty deranged and a lot of fun, but I didn't enjoy it quite as much as the director's 2010 film, Rubber, in which a car tire becomes sentient and develops homicidal telekinetic powers.
erilaz
Lazarus

Postby Moh » Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:47 am

Today I actually went to the theatre and saw John Wick: Chapter 4. This movie kicked ass tbh. The choreography was awesome! :thumbs-up:

A few days ago I watched Kimi ni Todoke (君に届け). The manga hadn't been completed at the time of the movie's release, so they kinda fudged a few details. It was still very cute though! Miura Haruma was quite charming in it.
Moh
Prophet

Favorite Idol: 鈴木愛理・段原瑠々・島倉りか・北原もも

Postby erilaz » Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:08 am

Renfield (2023) — Robert Montague Renfield (Nicholas Hoult) is attending support group meetings at a local church, because he's stuck in a toxic, co-dependent relationship with his horrible boss. Renfield's boss is worse than your shitty boss, and even worse than mine, because he's none other than Count Dracula (Nicolas Cage being typically over-the-top Nicolas Cage). It's a fun spin on the Dracula mythos, loaded with humor, action, and extreme gore. :thumbs-up:
erilaz
Lazarus

Postby rikkikow » Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:49 pm

:devil:
Mona Lisa and the Blood Moon (2022)
“A young girl escapes from an asylum in New Orleans and makes some surprising allies.”

Closing credits tune
Spoiler: show
Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.
Panda-san! Panda-san Power! Panda -san!
rikkikow

PreviousNext

Return to TALK: General Talk