Last movie you watched

Manga, Anime, Gaming, Sports, TV, Film

Moderators: Sohee, Moh

Re: Last movie you watched

Postby Moh » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:48 am

The Equalizer 2: Not much to say. He kicked a lot of ass (again) and it was awesome. :lol: Aaaand I hope they make a third one.
A Quiet Place: I go into scary movies with the lowest of expectations cause I don't find a lot of them to be scary at all. This one actually freaked me out, and I think the lack of dialogue helped. Those creatures sure were ugly!
Moh
Prophet

Favorite Idol: 鈴木愛理・段原瑠々・島倉りか・北原もも

Postby erilaz » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:26 pm

Flying home from Atlanta on Monday, I saw Being George Clooney (2016), a very interesting documentary about the under-appreciated and largely unknown voice actors who provide the voices for Hollywood stars in dubbed foreign releases.
"Sometimes it seems as though the whole point of the Japanese writing system is to keep non-Japanese people from understanding what the hell is going on." — Dave Barry
erilaz
Lazarus

Favorite Idol: 矢口真里

Postby erilaz » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:45 pm

Yesterday I went to "Winona Forever: A Winona Ryder Mystery Marathon" at the Alamo Drafthouse New Mission in San Francisco. It began with a pre-show of clips of some of Winona's appearances on TV and in music videos, as well as a couple of vintage trailers. The four feature films, which were not announced ahead of time, were all screened from 35mm prints:

Mermaids (1990)
Welcome Home, Roxy Carmichael (1990)
Heathers (1988)
Reality Bites (1994)

Apart from Heathers, I don't think I'd seen any of these movies on the big screen since their original theatrical releases. The print of Heathers was the Academy print, the only print they were able to find, which was rather beat up. I was disappointed that unlike the print that was screened at the PFA six years ago, this wasn't a print from the original theatrical release with the original music — which I can't find referenced anywhere.

There were also thematic drink specials and free "Winona Rydehair" zines (featuring drawings of Winona with hairdos and quotes from various movies and TV appearances). For people who stayed through the whole seven-hour event, there was a limited supply of free BIG FUN mugs, first come, first served (I got one).
"Sometimes it seems as though the whole point of the Japanese writing system is to keep non-Japanese people from understanding what the hell is going on." — Dave Barry
erilaz
Lazarus

Postby erilaz » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:19 am

Sorry to Bother You (2018) — Cassius Green (Lakeith Stanfield), living in his uncle's garage and four months behind on his rent, gets a job as a telemarketer. This new job propels him to unimagined heights of financial success—but at what cost?
erilaz
Lazarus

Postby erilaz » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:21 pm

Highway to Hell (1991) — Charlie (Chad Lowe, Rob's brother) and Rachel (pre-Buffy Kristy Swanson) are driving to Vegas to elope, when a demonic cop abducts Rachel and takes her to Hell City. It's a '90s horror-comedy version of Orpheus and Eurydice with some amusing gags, such as the Good Intentions Paving Company. :mikihead: With Ben Stiller as Attila the Hun (!) and Gilbert Gottfried as Hitler (!!!).
erilaz
Lazarus

Postby Zunu » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:33 pm

Crazy Rich Asians (2018) Didn't read the book but the movie was lots of fun and also functioned as a huge colorful ad for Singapore tourism. Awkwafina, please more of her. If I had any complaint it was that the leading guy was just too perfect. A crown prince of industry, honest, humble, about as good-looking as it's possible for a guy to be without being a girl. I guess even that's not really a complaint, but it made the film seem really old-fashioned in a sense, like a musical from the 1950's. On the plus side, the movie had a wonderful example of Chekhov's Gun, ie " If you say in the first chapter that there is a rifle hanging on the wall, in the second or third chapter it absolutely must go off." (The object in question is not a gun but same principle.)
tending to put ~ on song titles since 2002
Zunu
Pantaloon

Favorite Idol: 能登有沙

Postby erilaz » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:44 pm

I enjoyed it, too. It took me a bit to figure out what you considered Chekhov's Gun, but I think I got it.

I found this article about the symbolism in the movie's mahjong game. Very informative, especially for someone like me, who is utterly clueless about the game. (For those who haven't seen the movie yet, it's kinda spoilery.)

https://www.vox.com/first-person/2018/8 ... ie-mahjong

Speaking of Asian games in movies, when I saw Heathers recently, I noticed that there was a go board in Veronica's bedroom. I don't recall ever noticing it before, even though I've seen the film 25 times.
erilaz
Lazarus

Postby erilaz » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:41 pm

Peppermint (2018) — Riley North (Jennifer Garner) is out for revenge after her husband and daughter are murdered and the criminals are let off scot-free. I was a fan of Alias, so for me it was great to see Garner back in kick-ass mode.
erilaz
Lazarus

Postby erilaz » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:32 am

Fahrenheit 11/9 (2018)
Assassination Nation (2018)

Welcome to the United States of America.
erilaz
Lazarus

Postby rikkikow » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:54 pm

The Shape of Water

From Rex Reed review:
“Alas, the more I try to find some kind of justifiable meaning and relevance, the more I find The Shape of Water a loopy, lunkheaded load of drivel. Not as stupid and pointless as that other critically overrated piece of junk Get Out, but determined to go down trying. I call this one Maudie Meets the Creature from the Black Lagoon.”

I have to agree with Rex Reed. For an Academy Award winner, I was very disappointed. I give it a one star out of five. I hated most of the movie. It was torture for me. XD

PS: He's the only critic that I agree with. Most seem to think it's the greatest. CRAZY. :hehe:

edit: maybe it's one of those movies that is better the second time around (I'll give it a try). No I won't. I didn't like it. :)
Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.
Panda-san! Panda-san Power! Panda -san!
rikkikow

PreviousNext

Return to TALK: General Talk