Last movie you watched

Manga, Anime, Gaming, Sports, TV, Film

Moderators: Sohee, Moh

Doug Jones + anything = WIN

Postby Zunu » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:17 pm

It's perfectly ok that you didn't care for the movie but as far as Rex Red goes, your comment forced me to read his "review." Yikes! See, Rex, if you think "when Eliza strips naked and crawls into the bathtub to surrender her virginity to the creature, [the movie] really loses its hinges," as a contrarian reviewer you owe it to your reader to explain why that particular scene is what makes the movie unravel for you. You can't just imply that interspecies intimacy invalidates the story, I mean, Beauty and the Beast, the Little Mermaid, etc., del Toro is clearly inviting us to take the fairy tale paradigm to its logical conclusion. I agree the movie is a bit overrated, but at least I had a clear idea of what del Toro was getting at, unlike Reed's review, which came off to me as, ironically as a "loopy, lunkheaded load of drivel." hehe. Also see: https://www.themarysue.com/rex-reed-actual-worst/
tending to put ~ on song titles since 2002
Zunu
Pantaloon

Favorite Idol: 能登有沙

Re: Last movie you watched

Postby TotallyUncool » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:03 am

I was surprised to find out that Rex Reed is still around (which, I suppose, goes to show how much attention I pay to film critics - i.e., none at all). For some reason, I imagined that his shelf-life had expired back when wide paisley neckties and bell-bottoms were going out of fashion (The Mary Sue says he's 79, but that can't be right - I think they must have dropped the first digit). XD
If madness made us strong, we would all be invincible.
TotallyUncool
#Member

Location: Gaslighting myself, but then again, I would do that, wouldn't I?
Favorite Idol: Siao Fongfong '66

Postby Nayoko-Kihara » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:39 pm

Watched "Hereditary" with my mom today and came away disappointed. I keep telling myself not to let the hype get to me, and yet when it comes to horror movies I keep falling for it.

The atmosphere was creepy but it never felt like it solidly progressed beyond that. It wasn't scary, but it felt like it was trying hard to be. The tongue click was annoying, and I literally dozed off for a couple of minutes a little over half through. We both got excited about Ann Dowd, I got a laugh at my mom pointing out naked things, and I spent 10 minutes trying to remember Toni Collette's name. We were both in agreement that those two and a half hours would've been better spent elsewhere.
Nayoko-Kihara
Devoted Devotee

Postby rikkikow » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:34 am

Molly’s Game (2017)
Was nominated for best movie adapted screenplay. Rex Reed no where to be found. Not even in his top ten.
Based on a true story. Embellished somewhat of course, it’s a movie after all. But …
Wholely Kow! I thought Tobey Maguire was a good guy being Spider Man and all.

edited above :blush:
Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.
Panda-san! Panda-san Power! Panda -san!
rikkikow

Postby erilaz » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:47 pm

Turbo Kid (2015) — A kid on a BMX bike scavenges to survive in the toxic wasteland of the future (1997) in this enormously enjoyable, post-apocalyptic splatterfest.

Gnome-stick!
"Sometimes it seems as though the whole point of the Japanese writing system is to keep non-Japanese people from understanding what the hell is going on." — Dave Barry
erilaz
Lazarus

Favorite Idol: 矢口真里

Postby erilaz » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:15 pm

Ralph Breaks the Internet (2018) — It was a lot of fun. I especially enjoyed the scenes with the Disney Princesses. Except for Snow White, Cinderella, and Aurora, they had the original voice actresses for all of them.

If you're planning to see it, stay until the very end of the credits.
"Sometimes it seems as though the whole point of the Japanese writing system is to keep non-Japanese people from understanding what the hell is going on." — Dave Barry
erilaz
Lazarus

Postby Zunu » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:18 pm

I am planning to see it so thanks!
tending to put ~ on song titles since 2002
Zunu
Pantaloon

Favorite Idol: 能登有沙

Postby Amped » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:04 am

I saw Ralph Breaks the Internet on Friday. It was pretty funny.

Go see "Shoplifters", in U.S. independent theaters now. Stars Matsuoka Mayu.
Amped
High Priest

Postby erilaz » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:45 pm

^ I almost went to see it in San Francisco this past weekend, but I'm hoping it will play somewhere closer to home. I finally saw Kore-eda's previous film, The Third Murder (三度目の殺人), when it played at the Pacific Film Archive on the 17th.

EDIT (11/29): I'm glad I waited! Shoplifters opens tomorrow at a theater only two blocks from where I live. YAY!
erilaz
Lazarus

Postby erilaz » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:26 am

I went to see Shoplifters (万引き家族) today. It's the sort of film that Kore-eda does particularly well: families with unusual problems, kids in bad situations. It won the Palme d'Or at Cannes and has been submitted as Japan's entry for the foreign language category at the Oscars. I'd be happy to see it win (though admittedly I haven't seen any of the other contenders).

Last night I saw Tehlirian on Trial: Armenia's Avenger (2015) on Kanopy. This documentary tells the story of Soghomon Tehlirian, the Armenian who assassinated Talaat Pasha, one of the architects of the Armenian Genocide. Despite the amount that I've seen and read about the Armenian Genocide, Tehlirian's story was previously unknown to me, and I was surprised to learn that he's buried in Fresno (in the same cemetery as William Saroyan), about 70 km from where I grew up.
erilaz
Lazarus

PreviousNext

Return to TALK: General Talk