Kyoto Animation set on fire; multiple deaths and injuries

Manga, Anime, Gaming, Sports, TV, Film

Moderators: Sohee, Moh

Kyoto Animation set on fire; multiple deaths and injuries

Postby Shoujo Q » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:11 pm

BBC is reporting over 10 dead and dozens more injured.
This is heart breaking and I’m beyond upset about this. Kyoto Animation studio was one of my favorite studios. They always put so much care into their productions. I don’t think they can recover from such a loss. Of life, of work. It’s unspeakable that someone would do this and for what reason. I hope they can find out why. I’m just at a loss. It’s very upsetting.

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-asia-49027178
Shoujo Q
Devotee

Favorite Idol: Suu-san

Re: Kyoto Animation set on fire; multiple deaths and injuries

Postby Nayoko-Kihara » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:28 pm

This is really heartbreaking. It would've been bad enough had it just been the building, but the fact that people died makes it so much worse.
Nayoko-Kihara
Devoted Devotee

Postby Moh » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:16 am

33 people are now confirmed dead; 20 of them were women. Another 36 are injured; 10 are in serious condition.
A 41-year-old man is in custody. Company president, Hatta Hideaki, told reporters that they'd been receiving threats frequently, including emails saying "die".
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/as ... story.html
Moh
Prophet

Favorite Idol: 鈴木愛理・段原瑠々・島倉りか・北原もも

Postby Amped » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:29 am

The director seem to be safe. KyoAni is one of my favorite animation studio. I always look for their name when checking out anime.
#PrayForKyoani
Amped
High Priest

Postby Shoujo Q » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:05 am

I'm the same way Amped. Over the years H!P really took over as my main focus, but when it came to Anime, Kyoto Animation was always a company I followed the most. I loved their attention to detail and stories they created. K-On is still one of my favorite series.

Sentai Films set up a GoFundMe for those effected by this tragedy. They've already met their goal and it's still growing.

I think they made the news everywhere. My sister asked me about it because it was on the local news this morning and even the owner of my company, who I found out, is a big animation fan and enjoys KyoAni as well, was talking to me about it.

I still get teared up just thinking about it all.
Shoujo Q
Devotee

Postby Nayoko-Kihara » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:19 pm

I've never been one to pay attention to the studio working on something, but I checked over a list of shows they've worked on and found out I actually like quite a few of them or have had plans to watch them soon. I hope all the money raised helps to ease the burden of rebuilding (physically & emotionally), and I hope all the people in medical care are able to recover fully.
Nayoko-Kihara
Devoted Devotee

Postby Moh » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:05 am

I don't wanna sound like "that guy" but I think I'd be reluctant to donate to any GFM that isn't officially set-up by the company. I know they mean well, I'd just worry about where my money is actually going to. :/
Moh
Prophet

Postby Shoujo Q » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:58 am

I think Sentai Films plans on giving the money to the victims and families of the victims. They can't give it to the company themselves as I think there are some laws against taking donations like that? Not sure how it works in other countries. Sentai Films has worked in Kyoto Animation before so I don't see why they wouldn't want to help out. I think it's good THEY started it and not some off the cuff person. They aren't going to take the money and run. I know a few people who work for the company and I have never heard anything negative about them or their practices.

Other companies in Japan are also setting up fundraisers and I know Crunchyroll is planning on doing something too.

There is a way to support the company itself. By buying digital images from their website. It's not much, but it's something.

They lost everything they had stored in the building. All equipment and computers. They have other buildings, but it's unknown what they had stored on those particular computers.
It's going to be a long while till they can regroup as a company, and I hope they can. Seeing all the support and love coming off of social media for the company warms my heart. They've touched so many people and lives with their work and I'd hate to see this tear them down. But they are Japanese and I'm sure it will only make them stronger in the end.

The death toll is now at 34 and the only one I can confirm that is still missing is Yasuhiro Takemoto, a director for the company. It's hard to weed through all the news because a lot of it's just repeating. I'm trying to avoid twitter because there's a lot of speculating and the google translate just isn't working.
They wont release the names till they can confirm all the victims. But it doesn't look good. I'm still hoping, but he hasn't checked in like some of the other directors. :-(
Shoujo Q
Devotee

Postby Moh » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:06 am

KyoAni is now accepting direct donations:
Moh
Prophet

Postby Shoujo Q » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:51 am

Since families are being notified of their loved ones passings, names are being released by the families.

So far we have Yasuhiro Takemoto, a director who was assumed to have passed since he went missing shortly after the fire. He was 41 and part of many of Kyoto Animations works.

Another is Naomi Ishida, she did color design for the company. No age given.

And Nishiya Futoshi, 37 was a character designer and chief animation director. He’s most known for working on Free.

Also another person has passed away so it’s at 35 now.

They are also planning on turning the studio into a memorial park. Which seems like a fitting tribute.

It gets harder with every name that pops up. How young they were and what they have accomplished and what they haven’t yet accomplished and could have but we will never see it. It hurts.
Shoujo Q
Devotee

Return to TALK: General Talk