Kanana, why did you ANGERME?

Manga, Anime, Gaming, Sports, TV, Film

Moderators: Sohee, Moh

Re: Kanana, why did you ANGERME?

Postby bisuketto » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:18 am

Is it just me or did Meimi say angerumu instead of anjurumu in the last Hello Station episode? How am I supposed to get the pronunciation right when they don't even know what they are called lol
bisuketto
Acolyte

Favorite Idol: Chinami,KanaTomo,Koha,Duu

Postby esm » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:59 am

By the way, I really love the name ANGERME. I actually like that it looks like "anger me" because it sounds kind of cute/angry like Hangry & Angry or like stuff from Tommy heavenly6 or something. Like a dare for someone to anger you.

Also, I love the sound of "anjurumu". Something about the sound of a heavy syllable followed by several lighter syllables that I can't describe, but it's really fun to say (the Japanese way, obviously). The other day I was just thinking about how K-Pop sounds more badass with certain styles (like Korean rap >>>>>>> Japanese rap) solely on the fact that Korean has more of a balance between light and heavy syllables. Japanese only has the syllables ending in -ん, and while long vowels are technically heavy, they don't sound heavy like syllables closed by consonants.
esm

Favorite Idol: Reina, Eripon, Nakky

Postby TotallyUncool » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:37 am

That's interesting -- I've noticed that Korean sounds like it has more bite to it at times, and I think that's what I've been hearing.
If madness made us strong, we would all be invincible.
TotallyUncool
#Member

Location: Gaslighting myself, but then again, I would do that, wouldn't I?
Favorite Idol: Siao Fongfong '66

Re: The Pointless H!P Musings/Rants Thread

Postby Jessi » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:07 pm

Starra wrote:All these people complaining about weird unit names... welcome to the fandom, yes, pull up a chair and enjoy your stay.

H!P unit names have been fucking odd since the beginning. Yeah, Morning Musume。and its subgroups kinda make sense (Minimoni。and Pucchimoni are both a form of "little morning", and Tanpopo means dandelion), as well as the _____ Musume。 ones. But like, what the fuck is a ciscomoon? Melons don't have anniversaries. v-u-den is a combination of three words that have nothing to do with each other and a bunch of the one-shot units are combinations of the members' names/alternative readings (Gomattou, Nochiura Natsumi, etc).

I'm not saying y'all have to like every unit name but like... when you have a group whose name means "music cats" (Gatas Brilhantes H.P. doesn't make sense for a footsal team, okay), and another whose name means "beauty, bravery & legend", what the hell are you expecting? :fear:

Actually I like the name Kobushi Factory and still hate Angerme. So I don't think the weird H!P name thing is a universal and accepted truth. Unless your comparing it to western groups in which that would just be a given for all Japanese groups.

Current H!P names I like:

Morning Musume
BerryzKobo
C-ute
Country Girls

Names I don't like:
Angerme
Juice=Juice (but mostly because I don't think it fits the girls image, but I also argued this with someone before and it's much do to my associations with Juice and children)

Also I loved the name S/mileage!!! It makes accepting Angerme so much harder. It's like having candy taken away and replaced with breath mints.
youtube.com/luciditi
Jessi

Favorite Idol: 佐藤 優樹

Re: The Pointless H!P Musings/Rants Thread

Postby Jessi » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:15 am

Starra wrote:All these people complaining about weird unit names... welcome to the fandom, yes, pull up a chair and enjoy your stay.

H!P unit names have been fucking odd since the beginning. Yeah, Morning Musume。and its subgroups kinda make sense (Minimoni。and Pucchimoni are both a form of "little morning", and Tanpopo means dandelion), as well as the _____ Musume。 ones. But like, what the fuck is a ciscomoon? Melons don't have anniversaries. v-u-den is a combination of three words that have nothing to do with each other and a bunch of the one-shot units are combinations of the members' names/alternative readings (Gomattou, Nochiura Natsumi, etc).

I'm not saying y'all have to like every unit name but like... when you have a group whose name means "music cats" (Gatas Brilhantes H.P. doesn't make sense for a footsal team, okay), and another whose name means "beauty, bravery & legend", what the hell are you expecting? :fear:

Actually I like 99% of H!P names and don't think the weird H!P name thing is a universal and accepted truth. Unless your comparing it to the names western groups in which that would just be a given for all Japanese groups.

Spoiler: show
Edited
youtube.com/luciditi
Jessi

Favorite Idol: 佐藤 優樹

Postby BerryzCelebration » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:33 am

The only H!P name I don't like is Country Girls, and that's because if you don't search up the name as カントリー・ガールズ, you'd have to go digging through a lot of stuff to find them.
BerryzCelebration

Favorite Idol: Mikitty/Chinami

Postby erilaz » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:22 pm

^ Searchability is a very positive aspect of weird names. I have a hell of a time searching for ZONE CDs on eBay.
"Sometimes it seems as though the whole point of the Japanese writing system is to keep non-Japanese people from understanding what the hell is going on." — Dave Barry
erilaz
Lazarus

Favorite Idol: 矢口真里

Postby TotallyUncool » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:36 pm

ZONE always drove me crazy with searches -- I think there's a German metal band with the same name, among others. :blink:
If madness made us strong, we would all be invincible.
TotallyUncool
#Member

Location: Gaslighting myself, but then again, I would do that, wouldn't I?
Favorite Idol: Siao Fongfong '66

Postby Moh » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:51 pm

I usually type in "[group name] jpop/japan" in internet searches. :lol:
Moh
Prophet

Favorite Idol: 鈴木愛理・段原瑠々・島倉りか・北原もも

Postby erilaz » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:33 pm

^ That's what I resorted to (either that or specific titles), but there was always that lingering suspicion that there might be some eBay listings that I was missing.
"Sometimes it seems as though the whole point of the Japanese writing system is to keep non-Japanese people from understanding what the hell is going on." — Dave Barry
erilaz
Lazarus

Favorite Idol: 矢口真里

Previous

Return to TALK: General Talk