Recent purchases

Manga, Anime, Gaming, Sports, TV, Film

Moderators: Sohee, Moh

Re: Recent purchases

Postby erilaz » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:47 pm

I used to have this uncanny sixth sense that would tell me to go to Kinokuniya in San Francisco when they had great stuff at heavily discounted clearance sale prices, but since Kinokuniya has pretty much killed off their music section, I haven't really been able to use it. Apparently my psychic powers still work, though, because Himawari-kai had their monthly used Japanese book sale, which I go to occasionally, but today I had an especially strong compulsion to go. Best Himawari-kai book sale score EVER: I found five large-format paperbacks/mooks on movies and music, all of which still had Kinokuniya price tags on them, ranging from $24 to $43, and I got them for $1 EACH. :yahoo:

1. All Tōhō Kaijū Daizukan — An illustrated guide to Toho's movie monsters, mainly Gojira and his various co-stars, but also such things as the alien creatures in Pink Lady no Katsudō Daishashin!
2. Nachisu Eiga Dengeki Tokuhon: Nazi Movies A Go-Go — Speaking of monsters, this is an extensive study of Nazis in cinema, with lots of photos.
3. Disc Collection: GIRL POP — Western female pop stars from the 1950s into the new millennium, from Patti Page to Lady Gaga, with reviews of 500 records.
4. GS I Love You — Articles and interviews covering "Group Sounds": Japan's Beatle-based rock bands of the late 1960s.
5. Hotwax presents Kayōkyoku Bangaichi: Queen of Japanese Pops Vol. 1 — Although its focus is "Bitch, Sexy & Fury" (as it states on the obi) rather than cute idols, it was still far and away today's best score, chock-full of color photos of hot Japanese babes from the 1960s and 1970s, and the bonus CD is still sealed! (I don't get why Kaji Meiko wasn't included, even though some of her movie co-stars were.)
"Sometimes it seems as though the whole point of the Japanese writing system is to keep non-Japanese people from understanding what the hell is going on." — Dave Barry
erilaz
Lazarus

Favorite Idol: 矢口真里

Postby erilaz » Sun May 27, 2018 3:50 pm

Rather expensive for a five-ounce box of candy, but I had to try it. Quite yummy, but like the wasabi ice cream I had in Asakusa, I would have preferred more of a wasabi kick.
"Sometimes it seems as though the whole point of the Japanese writing system is to keep non-Japanese people from understanding what the hell is going on." — Dave Barry
erilaz
Lazarus

Postby esm » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:32 am

^ Oooh! That looks interesting.
esm

Favorite Idol: Reina, Eripon, Nakky

Postby boinsie » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:25 am

I had some several years back. As erilaz mentioned, they have a very mild flavor. I'm not a wasabi fan, and I finished them all.
boinsie
Guru

Postby Moh » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:17 am

I can't believe my brother hasn't bought any of those yet. :lol:
Moh
Prophet

Favorite Idol: 鈴木愛理・段原瑠々・島倉りか・北原もも

Postby erilaz » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:47 pm

Saturday I went to the Vintage Paper Fair in San Francisco, where I rummaged through old (and not-so-old) picture postcards for 4½ hours. I ended up spending $26 on 23 postcards. Here's a cute one I bought for 25 cents.

erilaz
Lazarus

Postby Moh » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:10 am

Moh
Prophet

Postby Moh » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:49 pm

Moh
Prophet

Postby erilaz » Sun May 12, 2019 1:36 pm

The Friends of the Berkeley Public Library's annual book sale is this weekend, so I spent three bucks on six 50¢ items today:

A Fish Dinner in Memison, by E. R. Eddison (1st Ballantine paperback printing, 1968);
Expressionismus und Dadaismus, edited by Otto F. Best (1986);
The Hawaiian Language and Hawaiian-English Dictionary, by Henry P. Judd (n.d.);
Thai Language, by Phya Anuman Rajadhon (3rd ed., 1956);
Wicked Japanese for the Business Traveler, by Howard Tomb (1991);
True Blood: The Complete First Season (yes, five DVDs for only 50 cents!)
erilaz
Lazarus

Postby Moh » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:55 pm

Moh
Prophet

PreviousNext

Return to TALK: General Talk