Recent purchases

Manga, Anime, Gaming, Sports, TV, Film

Moderators: Sohee, Moh

Re: Recent purchases

Postby TotallyUncool » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:47 pm

I was completely surprised when i got it home and checked it out -- even though (I realized later) I had looked up Ritsuko a few months ago and seen a picture of the cover.
I think Ritsuko did the cover art, by the way (she has co-credit for art direction) - it looks like the original was outlined in ink, then drawn in with crayon. It's looks very doujin, in an extremely cool way.
If madness made us strong, we would all be invincible.
TotallyUncool
#Member

Location: Gaslighting myself, but then again, I would do that, wouldn't I?
Favorite Idol: Siao Fongfong '66

Postby erilaz » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:06 pm

^ So you just bought it because it looked interesting, huh? I probably would've, too. XD
"Sometimes it seems as though the whole point of the Japanese writing system is to keep non-Japanese people from understanding what the hell is going on." — Dave Barry
erilaz
Lazarus

Favorite Idol: 矢口真里

Postby TotallyUncool » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:15 pm

That was basically it -- I thought, "Hey, as long as they're having a $1.00 sale, I should grab everything that looks interesting enough to spend $1.00 on!" XD
And I think there was something in the back of my mind saying that I should buy it - maybe an unconscious recollection of having seen the cover before.
If madness made us strong, we would all be invincible.
TotallyUncool
#Member

Location: Gaslighting myself, but then again, I would do that, wouldn't I?
Favorite Idol: Siao Fongfong '66

Postby koregaboku » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:18 pm

Moh wrote:koregaboku: Wow, those are some nice lookin' knifes. :lol: If they ever get dull, I hope you have a good sharpener.

Sur la Table has biannual free sharpening events (first knife free, second knife $5).
Hopefully I treat my knives well enough that I don't have to sharpen them too often. But if I do I figure I'll learn on one of those metal sticks to tide me over until the biannual sharpening events.
koregaboku
Psychic

Favorite Idol: Airiiiiii <3

Postby Moh » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:40 am

Moh wrote:Ordered this phone, it'll be nice to have one with a screen big enough so I won't have as many typos in my texts.
http://i41.tinypic.com/2lxat05.jpg

This finally arrived in town today, but I was out, so I'll end up having to pick it up tomorrow.
Which is okay, cause I planned on making a deposit. The bank and the post office are in the same plaza. :lol:
Moh
Prophet

Favorite Idol: 鈴木愛理・段原瑠々・島倉りか・北原もも

Postby boinsie » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:13 am

koregaboku wrote:
Moh wrote:koregaboku: Wow, those are some nice lookin' knifes. :lol: If they ever get dull, I hope you have a good sharpener.

Sur la Table has biannual free sharpening events (first knife free, second knife $5).
Hopefully I treat my knives well enough that I don't have to sharpen them too often. But if I do I figure I'll learn on one of those metal sticks to tide me over until the biannual sharpening events.

A honing steel.

Also free knife sharpening day, what. If you think of it, can you let me know when these days occur? :heart: I'd love to get my main chef knife sharpened, but I keep talking myself out of the $2/inch charge at the kitchen supply store several blocks from my house charges.
boinsie
Guru

Postby erilaz » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:53 pm

Today the mail brought a wonderful antique that I found on eBay last week: the Linguaphone English Course, recorded in 1929! This is the edition for speakers of Spanish, and the condition is far from pristine, but the set is nearly complete: seventeen 78 rpm records (all unbroken), a course book with the texts of the records, an English-Spanish vocabulary, and an instruction book in Spanish (this unfortunately is missing a number of pages), all in a carrying case (which is falling apart). Now I can learn to speak English!

Okay, my REAL reasons for buying this are Lesson 20 "At the Tobacconist's" and Lesson 30 "Wireless":

Spoiler: show

They're the earliest audio recordings of an Oxford professor named J.R.R. Tolkien.

And no, he doesn't say, "I will not buy this record, it is scratched." Nor does he say, "My hovercraft is full of eels."

EDIT: Replaced the photo of the individual records with a larger one and revised my description of the set.
Last edited by erilaz on Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Sometimes it seems as though the whole point of the Japanese writing system is to keep non-Japanese people from understanding what the hell is going on." — Dave Barry
erilaz
Lazarus

Postby Mirai » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:58 pm

Wow, that is so cool!!
Mirai
Minion

Favorite Idol: Ai Takahashi

Postby erilaz » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:58 pm

I just got L'Aventuros d'Alis in Marvoland by Lewis Carroll, newly translated into Neo by Ralph Midgley.
erilaz
Lazarus

Postby Denki » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:55 pm

I bought a french press.

Going be drinking brewed coffee for a while~
Denki

Favorite Idol: えりぽん

PreviousNext

Return to TALK: General Talk