Recent purchases

Manga, Anime, Gaming, Sports, TV, Film

Moderators: Sohee, Moh

Re: Recent purchases

Postby erilaz » Sun Oct 29, 2023 3:01 pm

Vintage Paper Fair time again, folks! CardCow was absent again, but I did better than at the last show: 22 postcards for a total of $40. Here are a few highlights:

I don't know if I'm allowed to post my favorite of today's postcard purchases here, though. It's a relatively recent postcard (I'd guess 1980s, possibly later) of a vintage photograph, entitled "Life Class, Chicago Art Institute, 1905." It shows a group of about three dozen men, mostly young, nearly all wearing suits. It looks like fairly typical college class photo from the time, I suppose, apart from the woman posing in their midst, completely nude. You can see a censored version of the photo here.
"Sometimes it seems as though the whole point of the Japanese writing system is to keep non-Japanese people from understanding what the hell is going on." — Dave Barry
erilaz
Lazarus

Favorite Idol: 矢口真里

Postby Zunu » Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:36 am

Meh,
scoffs at piddly Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch.

You wouldn't happen to know the name of the woman in the 4th image, or any context? Are those planets around her neck? :lol:
tending to put ~ on song titles since 2002
Zunu
Pantaloon

Favorite Idol: 能登有沙

Postby erilaz » Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:36 am

I'd like to find a postcard from there.

Zunu wrote:You wouldn't happen to know the name of the woman in the 4th image, or any context? Are those planets around her neck? :lol:

I don't know the model's name, but I do believe those are supposed to be planets or some sort of celestial objects. The photo is by Uwe Kuessner and entitled "Space Age theme for graduation parade at the June Dolly-Watkins' Department and Modelling school, Sydney, 1969", from the State Library of New South Wales. The postcard was published by AvantCard Australia in 2002.
"Sometimes it seems as though the whole point of the Japanese writing system is to keep non-Japanese people from understanding what the hell is going on." — Dave Barry
erilaz
Lazarus

Postby erilaz » Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:56 am

I ordered the UK's new Spice Girls stamps (to be issued Thursday) from the Royal Mail website.

Mel B mentioned the stamps during her appearance on The Tonight Show last night.

erilaz
Lazarus

Postby Zunu » Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:43 pm

:o
tending to put ~ on song titles since 2002
Zunu
Pantaloon

Favorite Idol: 能登有沙

Postby erilaz » Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:53 pm

Today I went to the Vintage Paper Fair again, and I spent a total of $40.50 on 37 items.

CardCow was finally back with his 25 cent boxes, where I found some great bargains, including six postcards written in Esperanto from 1908 to 1913 and this wonderful pocket-sized Tokyo subway map and timetable from 1981 (5 x 3.75 inches, why not a metric size?). The timetable shows times and fares between major stations, so we can see, for example, that a ride from Shibuya to Asakusa on the Ginza Line took 35 minutes and cost ¥140.

Speaking of Asakusa, I had to buy this $4 postcard showing the ruins of Asakusa Nakamise after the Great Kantō Earthquake and Fire of 1923.

And what trip to the Vintage Paper Fair would be complete without some beautiful women in the mix? Here's my favorite from today's purchases, a $4 postcard mailed in Germany in 1917.

erilaz
Lazarus

Previous

Return to TALK: General Talk