Recent purchases

Manga, Anime, Gaming, Sports, TV, Film

Moderators: Sohee, Moh

Re: Recent purchases

Postby erilaz » Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:33 pm

^ That's one thing I definitely do NOT miss about being a student. Textbooks were expensive enough back in my day, but nowadays the prices are utterly absurd.
"Sometimes it seems as though the whole point of the Japanese writing system is to keep non-Japanese people from understanding what the hell is going on." — Dave Barry
erilaz
Lazarus

Favorite Idol: 矢口真里

Postby esm » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:15 am

It's worse when you're pretty sure you're not going to need the books again, and most buy-back options don't give you anywhere close to a good deal. Hardcover science textbooks are the worst.

I haven't had to buy very many books for linguistics at all because in upper level classes we read mostly research papers. The books I did have to buy are good resources written by very prominent people in the field.

Of course, the printing cost does get high and I'd be drowning in papers if I print too much.
esm

Favorite Idol: Reina, Eripon, Nakky

Postby boinsie » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:30 am

Don't buy from the school bookstore unless you absolutely have to.
If it's a book you're not going to care about keeping (or if you don't particularly care about condition for your collection), buy it used from a reseller online (Amazon, eBay, etc). That way, when your class is over, you can sell it on that same platform for basically the same amount you bought it for. You won't lose out on nearly as much money that way.
It's obviously less possible when the book is an edition specifically made for your school, or one that comes with an online homework submission service or whatever other garbage, BUT, it's something to keep in mind when you can.
boinsie
Guru

Postby CaptainBerryzGiraffe » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:27 am

Oh, did I say buy? I rent my books, not buy, because it's hella cheaper. (yanno $20 less per book adds up...)
I had to buy some from the school book store just because it wasn't available on amazon or chegg and some were "new editions" etc etc, annoyances. Those two were the only two I got from the book store, and they were the most expensive, too. UGHHH
No Berryz, No Life.
Please people, I'm a "he" not a "she".
CaptainBerryzGiraffe
Devotee

Location: A giant crocodile-shaped island next to a huge apple
Favorite Idol: Cappy, Daaishi, Duu, Maho

Postby rikkikow » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:29 pm

What you might think of doing then is buying the book and after you are done with it rent it out yourself.
Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.
Panda-san! Panda-san Power! Panda -san!
rikkikow

Postby erilaz » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:19 pm

I kept nearly all of the books I bought for foreign language and linguistics courses as an undergrad and grad student. Sold back virtually everything else when the courses ended.

I was really lucky a few times, because the assigned textbooks were things I had picked up months/years earlier at local used book stores or the Friends of the Berkeley Public Library's big annual book sale. So instead of paying $40 or whatever for French for Reading Knowledge, I already had a copy that I had bought for 35 cents. :) You couldn't buy books online, much less download them, back in those days. The World Wide Web came into existence about a year after I started grad school, and I was done with all my coursework before Amazon and eBay even existed.
"Sometimes it seems as though the whole point of the Japanese writing system is to keep non-Japanese people from understanding what the hell is going on." — Dave Barry
erilaz
Lazarus

Favorite Idol: 矢口真里

Postby esm » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:57 am

I think nowadays they're really pushing rental books, at least from my experiences at the schools I've been to. When I was a freshman, there were only a few titles that were available for rental, and by my senior year almost everything was available for rental. When I did my masters, all the books were also available for rental, but at the end of the semester I decided to buy some of the books that I wanted to keep, which was basically just paying the difference between the rental price and the full price. At least it felt like a payment plan for the books, so it's not like I had to pay all that amount at once.

For buying online, I'd also check out half.com and abebooks.com
esm

Favorite Idol: Reina, Eripon, Nakky

Postby boinsie » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:28 am

I was thinking of getting a mustard-colored jacket last year around this time, but it didn't end up happening for a variety of reasons.
Fast-forward to today at the store..!!!

boinsie
Guru

Postby TotallyUncool » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:00 am

Looks good!
If madness made us strong, we would all be invincible.
TotallyUncool
#Member

Location: Gaslighting myself, but then again, I would do that, wouldn't I?
Favorite Idol: Siao Fongfong '66

Postby rikkikow » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:24 am

TotallyUncool wrote:Looks good!

Yes, she looks really good in the first photo. She even has a little "Aika" working there too. :hehe:
Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.
Panda-san! Panda-san Power! Panda -san!
rikkikow

PreviousNext

Return to TALK: General Talk