Haircare/Skincare/Make-up Thread

Manga, Anime, Gaming, Sports, TV, Film

Moderators: Sohee, Moh

Haircare/Skincare/Make-up Thread

Postby boinsie » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:05 pm

So I had been using shampoo/conditioner every other day; on off-days I would just let water run through it in the shower.
That was working out fine enough, I suppose, but I had some recurring scalp dryness issues that I thought could be from all the chemicals and also the shampoo/conditioner I use is getting harder to find. Add to that the fact that my husband doesn't actually wash his hair at all anymore, and it looks perfectly fine and normal... I've now started experimenting with a new washing frequency.
At first I just tried to stop washing it until I couldn't stand it... and my hair got pretty greasy pretty fast.
But NOW I've realized that it might have had a lot to do with my still using conditioner. The shampoo was stripping my hair of oils/etc (at the same time as removing dirt), and the conditioner was adding back some of it, but that was starting me off with extra build-up. SO! I'm currently on day... 6? of no shampoo, and my hair's only just beginning to be kind-of unacceptable looking.
Image Image

I'll wash it in the morning.
But for now, look at my awesome front-hair once it's been taken out of its french braid!

Doubt I'd often wear it out this way, though... :hehe:
boinsie
Guru

Re: Haircare/Skincare/Make-up Thread

Postby esm » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:31 am

Hmm, I've been having scalp dryness issues too, although nowadays it's not as bad to the point that if I sit and keep patting my head I'll see tiny bits coming off. Honestly, the only time I notice is when I nap on trollboy's bed and his pillowcase is dark. I never notice it at home, so maybe it's from his head, not mine (I never cared enough to try to find out, but maybe I should).

I know my head gets dry and itchy if I don't use anti-dandruff shampoo every now and then though, especially after winter when the air has been so dry.

By the way, I wash my hair every day most of the time, like 6 out of 7 days in a week. I could do every other day if I'm really home all the time or happen to be home during the odd days. Otherwise, it's like how some people need to put on makeup when leaving the house (unless it's for some really minor reason), I need to wash and blow dry my hair.
esm

Favorite Idol: Reina, Eripon, Nakky

Postby Nichiyobi » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:28 am

I wash my hair almost every day too. I don't feel 'good' if I leave the house for work without washing my hair in the morning.
At the weekend I just wash it when I 'need' to.
I thought about it a lot too; Trying to stop to do it so often but I don't have any issues with dry hair, so I don't see a problem with my hair-wash-routine at all.

Though I have issues with dry skin. Especially at the chin and eyebrow area. I already tried different kind of cremes and whatnot. Though it got a bit better already, I'm still not satisfied with it ^^;
Nichiyobi
Senior Initiate

Postby Pavlova » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:27 am

I used to wash my hair only once a week through-out elementary and high school.. and college..

i've only been washing it pretty much every day since I entered university. Not sure why though. I just do.
Pavlova
Minion

Favorite Idol: Shimizu Saki

Postby forgetmenots » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:57 am

I'm pretty sure I have Psoriasis so when I go for long periods of not washing my hair, it usually ends up getting worse(something to do with the build up on the glands and sweating). It's seriously annoying, because the only thing that works for me is shampoos with coal tar, the regular "dandruff/psoriasis" shampoos don't help at all.

I also have to condition my hair pretty often because of the length and curly-ness of it. The only time I'm able to get a good brushing of my hair is when I've got conditioner in it, tangles come about about 200000000x easier. I don't know what I'd do without conditioner @_@
forgetmenots
Queen of All Banners

Favorite Idol: Maachan, Nonaka, Oda

Postby koregaboku » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:34 pm

Working at a coffee place is seriously fucking with my hands.

I don't usually use lotion/moisturizer so I bought a little tube of goldbond. What I really wanted was some Nivea (I adore the smell and the way it feels) but the CVS didn't have any. They're supposed to get their shipment in on Tuesday so I'll probably go back and buy some then.

:((((
koregaboku
Psychic

Favorite Idol: Airiiiiii <3

Postby Petit Melon » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:31 am

I've been trying to transition to no 'poo after my hair has gone crazy in an attempt to fix it.

My hair is still acting weird (the roots are quick to become greasy and the ends are really really dry) but I think I'm making progress in the overall health of my hair.

I went and spent ~100 at Ulta over the weekend too. Didn't get anything fancy, just eyeliner, primer, finishing powder, nail polish...but man they add up so quick!
Petit Melon
Senior Initiate

Favorite Idol: Tomoko

Postby Moh » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:49 pm

I've never posted in this thread, but maybe this'll be a start. :lol:

I went to Peebles a while back and got some Clinique stuff. I have crappy skin, my face can't decide if it wants to be dry or oily!
My cheeks are red, so I got some of that redness solutions makeup. Great stuff. Paired it with some CoverGirl powder and I couldn't even see the red anymore.
It doesn't really feel like anything is on my face, so I like that part of it, too.

Their makeup remover is nice, but it's probably best to pair it with another. I find I'm halfway through my bottle of it. XD

I got some Femme Couture stuff today, so I'll be trying it out soon.
Moh
Prophet

Favorite Idol: 鈴木愛理・段原瑠々・島倉りか・北原もも

Postby boinsie » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:17 pm

I was back to washing my hair every ~3 days or so, no conditioner... but my seborrhic dermatitis has been acting up quite a lot recently... I had been blaming it on the dry frozen climate we'd had for several weeks, but it's been raining more recently with no difference to my dry, itchy scalp so I decided to try a coal tar-based shampoo.
So so far I've washed my hair with it and left it on my head for ~3-7(?) minutes each time before rising... and have unfortunately seen no real results. Pair that with the fact that it smells something like a mechanic shop and the fast that I've read some stuff online saying that coal tar a known carcinogen has me thinking I'll probably discontinue its use if it doesn't start showing results in a few more days...
On the other hand, I've really been liking how my hair dries with it, so there's that... :hehe:
boinsie
Guru

Postby esm » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:47 am

Ugh, the dry, cold air of winter... my body was itching until I changed to using moisturizing body wash and an exfoliating scrub to scrub out the dead/dry stuff.
esm

Favorite Idol: Reina, Eripon, Nakky

Next

Return to TALK: General Talk