Staying in Tokyo

Postby Chibs » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:46 am

I was wondering if anyone had any pearls of wisdom
ImageImage
Chibs

Favorite Idol: Eri Kamei

Re: Staying in Tokyo

Postby Zunu » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:14 am

If in-room wifi is important to you, make sure your hotel offers it.
tending to put ~ on song titles since 2002
Zunu
Pantaloon

Favorite Idol: 能登有沙

Re: Staying in Tokyo

Postby erilaz » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:38 pm

^ True. Lots of places (most places?) don't have it.

Before you choose a hotel, make sure it has convenient access to public transit and is not too far away from the places you want to go. A lot of the cheapest places to stay in the Tokyo area are in Narita: close to the airport, but FAR away from anything else. If you stay in Narita, you'll waste lots of time and money on trains.

It's very useful to know where you're going, especially if your time is limited. Detailed maps are key, since Japanese addresses employ a bizarre* system that is virtually useless without a map. I swear by the Tokyo City Atlas, which is my constant companion when I'm there. Before I go on my trip, I put little Post-It flags in the book, marking the various places I want to go.

* Bizarre to us Westerners, that is. It does have a certain logic to it, in its general-to-specific organization.

Anything specific you want to know? I've been to Tokyo five times (all short trips, one to two weeks each), so I will probably have some knowledge or opinions, or can at least point you in the right direction to get the information you seek.
"Sometimes it seems as though the whole point of the Japanese writing system is to keep non-Japanese people from understanding what the hell is going on." — Dave Barry
erilaz
Lazarus

Favorite Idol: 矢口真里

Return to TALK: General Talk