The Book Thread! What are you reading?

Manga, Anime, Gaming, Sports, TV, Film

Moderators: Sohee, Moh

Re: The Book Thread! What are you reading?

Postby erilaz » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:27 am

I just read The Avengers #5: The Afrit Affair, a tie-in novel based on the wonderful 1960s British TV series, not the Marvel superheroes. I was amused by the fact that the book's villain was a proponent of an artificial international language called Omnilingua: "The first and only truly democratic and unbiased world language. It is made up of elements of over two hundred little-known dialects, spoken by over half the world's population." ("And thus equally incomprehensible to all," quips Steed.)
"Sometimes it seems as though the whole point of the Japanese writing system is to keep non-Japanese people from understanding what the hell is going on." — Dave Barry
erilaz
Lazarus

Favorite Idol: 矢口真里

Postby DSQueenie » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:21 pm

^
I've never seen The Avengers but I heard it's one of the few BBC shows that's print is still in great condition unlike it's contemporary Doctor Who. Would you say it's worth a watch?

I'm reading "The Revenge of History: The Battle For The 21st Century" which is not just a response to the book "The End of History and the Last Man" but is a collection of essays about the 21st century's major events so far and about how it's major world powers have rose and fell. It's pretty interesting and I like political books that pick a side and fight for it rather than stand in the middle. That way you can read both sides really make your own mind up. After reading "12 Years a Slave" I'm gonna read TEoHatL to see the other side.
I used to have a Tumblr about Idols...
DSQueenie
Acolyte

Postby erilaz » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:42 am

DSQueenie wrote:^
I've never seen The Avengers but I heard it's one of the few BBC shows that's print is still in great condition unlike it's contemporary Doctor Who. Would you say it's worth a watch?

It's actually not a BBC show; it was produced by ABC Television and broadcast on ITV (Channel 3). I love the show, its mix of espionage and sci-fi, and its witty humour. You should at the very least see the two series starring Diana Rigg as Emma Peel (Series 4 & 5, 1965–67). Those are the classic episodes.

Don't waste your time with the 1998 film version starring Ralph Fiennes and Uma Thurman, though. That was a train wreck.
"Sometimes it seems as though the whole point of the Japanese writing system is to keep non-Japanese people from understanding what the hell is going on." — Dave Barry
erilaz
Lazarus

Postby TotallyUncool » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:29 am

I agree -- the Emma Peel episodes are definitely the ones worth watching!
If madness made us strong, we would all be invincible.
TotallyUncool
#Member

Location: Gaslighting myself, but then again, I would do that, wouldn't I?
Favorite Idol: Siao Fongfong '66

Postby DSQueenie » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:58 am

Iol I always get BBC and ITV shows mixed up - especially when they are older. xD Thank for the recommendation I'll definitely give those episodes a watch after I finish my current series.
DSQueenie
Acolyte

Postby Mirai » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:34 am

^just remember that Downton Abbey airs on ITV ;)

I'm currently making my through A Game of Thrones :D
Mirai
Minion

Favorite Idol: Ai Takahashi

Postby koregaboku » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:50 am

I read the Percy Jackson series :hehe:

Wasn't that bad. Lol.
koregaboku
Psychic

Favorite Idol: Airiiiiii <3

Postby erilaz » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:52 pm

I just finished The Ocean at the End of the Lane, another wonderful, magical novel by Neil Gaiman.

My friend Grace got thanked in the acknowledgments. Yay!
erilaz
Lazarus

Postby erilaz » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:26 am

Just finished: Language: Its Nature, Development and Origin (1922) by Otto Jespersen. Somewhat antiquated in places, but still interesting. I especially enjoyed Jespersen's occasional references to Ido, which he strongly supported as an international auxiliary language at the time.

Just started: The Lexicographer's Dilemma: The Evolution of "Proper" English, from Shakespeare to South Park (2009) by Jack Lynch
erilaz
Lazarus

Postby DSQueenie » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:34 pm

Just finished the Darcy: A Gentleman series. It's a published P&P fiction that is well written in a technical sense, if unnecessary. It's pretty bad story wise but not unreadable.
Last edited by DSQueenie on Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
DSQueenie
Acolyte

PreviousNext

Return to TALK: General Talk