The Book Thread! What are you reading?

Manga, Anime, Gaming, Sports, TV, Film

Moderators: Sohee, Moh

Re: The Book Thread! What are you reading?

Postby erilaz » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:18 pm

Just finished reading Geschichte der ausgestorbenen alten friesischen oder sächsischen Sprache, a facsimile reprint of Tileman Dothias Wiarda's history of the Old Frisian language, originally published in 1784. I love reading books printed in Fraktur. XD
"Sometimes it seems as though the whole point of the Japanese writing system is to keep non-Japanese people from understanding what the hell is going on." — Dave Barry
erilaz
Lazarus

Favorite Idol: 矢口真里

Postby erilaz » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:55 pm

I just finished reading The Runes and Other Magical Alphabets by Michael A. Howard.

Wow. Just, wow.

From the title and the publisher (The Aquarian Press), I knew that it would be good for some laughs, but I was totally unprepared for the enormity of the factual errors in this book.

I'm reminded of Helmut Arntz's capsule review of The Runes, Whence Came They by George Stephens: "Völlig unberührt von aller Wissenschaft" (completely untouched by all science). Stephens's work at its worst is a model of sober, meticulous scholarship compared to this train wreck.
"Sometimes it seems as though the whole point of the Japanese writing system is to keep non-Japanese people from understanding what the hell is going on." — Dave Barry
erilaz
Lazarus

Postby Celedam » Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:17 am

I finally got around to listening John Cleese's reading of The Screwtape Letters. I definitely need to give it a second, closer reading.
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby Amped » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:31 am

Moh wrote:And now I'm on After Dark by Haruki Murakami. :geek:

i got the audio book for that one :geek:
Amped
High Priest

Favorite Idol: 工どう由愛

Postby erilaz » Wed May 30, 2012 12:53 pm

This morning I started reading Amos David Zubrow's 1978 Stanford University M.A. thesis, Concerning the Interpretation of ProtoNorse erilaR in Runic Inscriptions. It's a subject near and dear to my heart. XD
erilaz
Lazarus

Postby erilaz » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:28 pm

Roots and Branches: Selected Papers on Tolkien by Tom Shippey.

I've never heard a more engaging speaker than Professor Shippey, and his book, The Road to Middle-earth, is regarded by many (myself included) to be the single best monograph on Tolkien's work ever. The papers in Roots and Branches definitely encapsulate what Shippey is all about, and I can certainly hear his voice when I read them.

I love his sense of humor, too. Here's an example (from p. 45):
Tolkien might not have gone so far as the author of Gunnlaugs saga Ormstunga (The Saga of Gunnlaug Wormtongue), who declared (in Icelandic) "Ein var þá tunga á Englandi sem í Noregi ok í Danmörku. En þá skiptust tungur í Englandi, er Vilhjalmr bastarðr vann England" ['there was then one tongue in England as in Norway and in Denmark. But then the tongues in England shifted when William the Conqueror — note that 'Conqueror' is not quite an exact translation of the Icelandic — won England']....
erilaz
Lazarus

Postby Bakajo Nono » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:05 pm

I finally finished Battle Royale. @_@ What a ride. Dat ending.

I don't care to read The Hunger Games now xD
Bakajo Nono
Acolyte

Favorite Idol: Eri Kamei

Postby erilaz » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:29 pm

The Japanese and the Lost Tribes of Israel by Joseph Eidelberg.

Here's a taste of Eidelberg's mishegoss: http://www.moshiach.com/tribes/japan4.html

XD
erilaz
Lazarus

Postby Moh » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:35 am

The last thing I read was Darkly Dreaming Dexter. :lol: Too bad they don't carry the rest of the books here, I really liked that one.
I also tried to read The Hunger Games, but the first person writing just made it unbearable for me. I'll watch the movie instead.
Moh
Prophet

Favorite Idol: 鈴木愛理・段原瑠々・島倉りか・北原もも

Postby erilaz » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:38 pm

I just finished reading Andromeda Klein by Frank Portman (a.k.a. Dr. Frank of the Mr. T Experience, a Berkeley punk band).

Cover blurb:
Andromeda Klein has a few problems.

Her hair is kind of horrible.

Her partner-in-occultism, Daisy, is dead.

Her secret, estranged, much older and forbidden boyfriend-in-theory, has gone AWOL.

And her mother has learned how to text.

In short, things couldn't get much worse. Until they do. Daisy seems to be attempting to make contact from beyond, books are starting to disappear from the library, and then, strangely and suddenly, Andromeda's tarot readings are beginning to predict events with bizarrely literal accuracy.

Omens are everywhere. Dreams; swords; fires; hidden cards; lost, broken, and dead cell phones . . . and what is Daisy trying to tell her?

In the ensuing struggle of neutral versus evil, it's Andromeda Klein against the world, modern society, demonic forces, and the "friends" of the library.

It's a very enjoyable book, a "young adult" novel for young adults with brains. I appreciated the fact that Dr. Frank did a lot of research about actual occult traditions, rather than just making up a lot of "fakus Latinus" Harry Potterish mumbo-jumbo. I like fantastic literature with a good historical anchor, so I'll get more pleasure from a reference to a work like Meric Casaubon's A True and Faithful Relation... (familiar to me but not to the general populace, I would imagine) than a reference to some fictional work by Gilderoy Lockhart, however humorous the title. It's the same kind of feeling as getting an inside joke -- and Portman also has a few of those that made me laugh out loud. Finally, if I can have those sorts of "I see what you did there" moments and also gain some knowledge along the way (such as the fact that Aleister Crowley's name rhymes with holy rather than foully), then so much the better!
erilaz
Lazarus

PreviousNext

Return to TALK: General Talk