The Book Thread! What are you reading?

Manga, Anime, Gaming, Sports, TV, Film

Moderators: Sohee, Moh

Re: The Book Thread! What are you reading?

Postby esm » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:08 am

Bakajo Nono wrote:Currently reading The Once and Future King, I love this book, but I have never finished it. I either get too caught up with other things and forget about it or misplace it and find another book to read xD BUT NOW I'M DETERMINED TO JUST FINISH IT. I have a mountain of books by my bedside that I want to get through and I know that once my next quarter stars my workload will increase like tenfold and I won't have any time ever.

Next on my to-read booklist:
- A Long Long Time Ago & Essentially True - Brigid Pasulka
- Death in Venice - Thomas Mann
- The Remains of the Day - Kazuo Ishiguro
- Never Let Me Go - Kazuo Ishiguro
- Kafka on the Shore - Haruki Murakami

I watched the movie, and it's seriously one of my favorite movies ever now. I need to read the book someday.

Murakami's Kafka on the Shore is also good, although I like Norwegian Wood most (even though it's more "normal" than his other works).

boinsie wrote:There's hardly anything better than the movie.

Seriously.
esm

Favorite Idol: Reina, Eripon, Nakky

Postby Moh » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:45 am

Moh wrote:Currently trying to make my way through Stephen King's Bag of Bones.

I lost my place and don't feel like starting over. I can't even remember what's going on in it. Oh, well!
Moh
Prophet

Favorite Idol: 鈴木愛理・段原瑠々・島倉りか・北原もも

Postby Zunu » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:25 pm

esm wrote:
Next on my to-read booklist:
- A Long Long Time Ago & Essentially True - Brigid Pasulka
- Death in Venice - Thomas Mann
- The Remains of the Day - Kazuo Ishiguro
- Never Let Me Go - Kazuo Ishiguro
- Kafka on the Shore - Haruki Murakami

I watched the movie, and it's seriously one of my favorite movies ever now. I need to read the book someday.[/quote]

Read Death in Venice (a really long time ago, don't quiz me on it), Never Let me Go, and The Remains of the Day. I just love Ishiguro's restrained, misdirected, hyper-British writing style, and the way his protagonists tend to be essentially clueless about their own predicament and even their own state of mind. (The Unconsoled btw is even moreso in that vein, and is a masterpiece of WTF) I enjoyed the two films of his works as well.

Moh wrote:I lost my place and don't feel like starting over. I can't even remember what's going on in it. Oh, well!

A lot of the sprawling fantasy epics I used to enjoy when I was in HS and had more reading time have been ruined for me because of that. Dude, I can't wait three years for your seventh book to come out and now I have to read the previous six to remember who Azargoth XIV is.
tending to put ~ on song titles since 2002
Zunu
Pantaloon

Favorite Idol: 能登有沙

Postby TotallyUncool » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:05 pm

I mostly read history now, and I still have that problem -- 'Wait a minute? Which dynasty was in control of the Grand High Obsnurkian Empire? Or had the Huns already come along and destroyed everything? Or was I reading about how the peasants in Lower East Abkhazia were losing their traditional right to draw water from communal cisterns and becoming serfs? And was that the first time, the second time, or the third time that happened?" :blink:
If madness made us strong, we would all be invincible.
TotallyUncool
#Member

Location: Gaslighting myself, but then again, I would do that, wouldn't I?
Favorite Idol: Siao Fongfong '66

Postby erilaz » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:48 pm

Esperanto: A Language for the Global Village by Sylvan Zaft. It's not a textbook, but rather explains what Esperanto is and why it's a good idea. The book is quite balanced, as well, addressing features of Esperanto that are often seen as flawed or difficult. Since I'm already well versed in the mechanics of the language, its history, and arguments for and against it, the parts of the book that were most interesting to me were the personal anecdotes and the stories of individual Esperantists.
"Sometimes it seems as though the whole point of the Japanese writing system is to keep non-Japanese people from understanding what the hell is going on." — Dave Barry
erilaz
Lazarus

Favorite Idol: 矢口真里

Postby Moh » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:40 am

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald.

This time I'm going to finish it!
Moh
Prophet

Postby Moh » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:49 am

After finishing Gatsby, I moved onto Your Heart Belongs to Me by Dean Koontz. And now I'm on After Dark by Haruki Murakami. :geek:
Moh
Prophet

Postby erilaz » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:43 pm

Indo-European Philology: Historical and Comparative by W. B. Lockwood. Just brushing up on stuff I should know.
"Sometimes it seems as though the whole point of the Japanese writing system is to keep non-Japanese people from understanding what the hell is going on." — Dave Barry
erilaz
Lazarus

Postby Moh » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:21 am

The Winter of Our Discontent by John Steinbeck.

Last of my rental books. :sad: Murakami's After Dark was excellent, btw. I wish they had more of his stuff here.
Moh
Prophet

Postby erilaz » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:44 pm

Just finished Runes and Their Origin: Denmark and Elsewhere by Erik Moltke (1985), to be followed by An Introduction to English Runes by R. I. Page (1973). If I'm going to use the name erilaz, I need to stay well versed in rune-lore.
erilaz
Lazarus

PreviousNext

Return to TALK: General Talk