School Rants Thread!

Manga, Anime, Gaming, Sports, TV, Film

Moderators: Sohee, Moh

Re: School Rants Thread!

Postby esm » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:23 am

Done with classes and just submitted all seven grad school applications. I'm waiting for this semester's grade to come out before I mail in transcripts for one school, which has a Mar 1st deadline.

Apart from that, I can now focus my attention on making other backup plans for my life and whatnot.
esm

Favorite Idol: Reina, Eripon, Nakky

Postby Mixi » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:35 am

I graduated with a B.A. in Linguistics and French studies last year and decided to pursue my studies in TFSL. As I wanted a teacher's license allowing me to teach at the elementary/high school/adult levels (what one needs to keep a stable job in our schooling system), I had the choice between a 2-year M.Ed in Second Language Teaching with a "specialization" in TFSL (basically a bunch of general theoretical education courses, one single French grammar course and one internship in a high school) or a 4-year B.Ed with five internships at three different levels and three different "types" of French teaching, and many, many courses preparing you to teach French through other subjects at the primary level like math, science and history. I chose the second option as it seemed like better preparation for the kind of career I want; I'm currently in my second semester and it's really nice so far.

I don't really regret it but it's just that I don't feel super stimulated intellectually: it's a B.Ed. and I already have a B.A. in a related field. I'm learning the practical side of linguistics, and education is fascinating but I guess I somewhat miss phonology and historical linguistics. Even though I'm not planning to have an academic career in linguistics per say, I need that stuff in my life. :lol: My classmates are 19-year-olds fresh out of Cégep (high school let's say) and I feel a lot more knowledgeable and "serious" than they are. I'm thinking that maybe if I had picked the M.Ed. instead it would have been more challenging. It's never too late to do an M.A. in Applied Linguistics I guess. I won't quit the B.Ed. though, I need that license and I'm getting it in 2016. I'm sure the internships will make it challenging. Can't wait to start at the end of the month!
Mixi
Minion

Favorite Idol: 和田彩花

Postby erilaz » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:04 am

Mixi wrote:I'm learning the practical side of linguistics, and education is fascinating but I guess I somewhat miss phonology and historical linguistics. Even though I'm not planning to have an academic career in linguistics per say, I need that stuff in my life. :lol:

I know exactly what you mean. My Tolkien work gives me the opportunity to use those things, and if I didn't have that, I'm sure I'd need some other outlet.

By the way, the phrase is "per se," Latin for "by itself".
"Sometimes it seems as though the whole point of the Japanese writing system is to keep non-Japanese people from understanding what the hell is going on." — Dave Barry
erilaz
Lazarus

Favorite Idol: 矢口真里

Postby Mixi » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:32 am

^ Getting so many retroactions lately. :lol:

I have developed an interest in language planning and policy in the past few years. My last paper as an undergraduate linguistics student was about language policy and linguistic integration of immigrants in Sweden. I'm seriously thinking about pursing M.A. studies in that field. Three years of finger-painting numbers with kids and field experience might change things a little, but I just know I don't want my university student career to end in 2016.
Mixi
Minion

Favorite Idol: 和田彩花

Postby esm » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:43 am

Yeah, I need to be in school. It feels weird outside the academic community. I just don't enjoy sitting in an office and working for a business, even though it's fairly relaxing most of the time (at least where I am right now) and I don't have to worry about any of it once I leave for the day. At work, I'm quiet. In the classroom and with other nerdy students (including grad students), I can't shut up.
esm

Postby Moh » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:18 am

I'll be starting a course to become a pharmacy technician after the 1st of the year. I'm actually excited. :lol:
Moh
Prophet

Favorite Idol: 鈴木愛理・段原瑠々・島倉りか・北原もも

Postby Denki » Thu May 22, 2014 8:59 am

Recently, I have been discouraged to transfer to a Uni. Mostly because the pressure my parents (especially my dad) has towards me. I don't think I can take it.

Being discouraged, I did extremely horrible this semester. I should talk to a counselor during the summer. I feel like starting all over again and get a AA instead. I just don't want to major in business - I tried taking courses with related to it and I hate it. It's not me.
Denki

Favorite Idol: えりぽん

Postby Moh » Fri May 23, 2014 4:35 am

I got halfway through my PharmTech course before realizing that I don't really wanna do it. :lol: I guess it's just not for me.
I had a talk with my dad, and he said it was fine if I just let it run out. No point in spending any more money on something I don't like.
Moh
Prophet

Postby esm » Sat May 24, 2014 6:47 am

^ Yeah, I think it's better to do what you like, especially if you're not too far into what you're doing already.

Time to apply to schools again this fall. I feel like I'm always applying to grad school. :lol:
esm

Postby Moh » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:39 pm

Been checking out a cosmetology course. It actually seems interesting. :lol: I'm hoping to check out the school next week.
If I can figure out how much it's gonna be, there's a lot of grants I can apply for. I also need to learn to drive so I can get there, lol.
Moh
Prophet

PreviousNext

Return to TALK: General Talk