School Rants Thread!

Manga, Anime, Gaming, Sports, TV, Film

Moderators: Sohee, Moh

School Rants Thread!

Postby Bakajo Nono » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:17 pm

Can we have a nice stress-relieving thread where we can just vent about school, homework, group projects, e t c . ?

If not, I'm sorry I'll delete it (if I can). I just don't want to clog up the random thread xD
Bakajo Nono
Acolyte

Favorite Idol: Eri Kamei

Re: School Rants Thread!

Postby Moh » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:53 am

My only problema with school is that I'll have nothing to do after I graduate next year. :lol: So used to going back to it in the fall.
Moh
Prophet

Favorite Idol: 鈴木愛理・段原瑠々・島倉りか・北原もも

Postby esm » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:33 am

omg yesssssssssssssss this thread<3 XD
esm

Favorite Idol: Reina, Eripon, Nakky

Postby TotallyUncool » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

I actually managed to sign up for a Japanese 3 class -- there was one seat still available in one class that was on days when I'm working at home (so I can take a couple of hours in the middle of the day to run over to MtSAC and go to class), so I grabbed it! XD
If madness made us strong, we would all be invincible.
TotallyUncool
#Member

Location: Gaslighting myself, but then again, I would do that, wouldn't I?
Favorite Idol: Siao Fongfong '66

Postby Bakajo Nono » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:09 pm

I need a major. Like seriously.

Part of me is just trying to let go and forget about it right now. I've been thinking about it so much lately, and not getting anywhere, so maybe if I just relax, kinda roll with the punches a little, a major will slap me across the face soon enough and I'll be good to go xD
Bakajo Nono
Acolyte

Postby TotallyUncool » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:54 pm

Does your school require you to declare a major now or pretty soon, or can you wait a while on it? If you know your general areas of interest, and you've got some time, maybe you can take classes in those areas, and see where they lead you.

I know there are good arguments for picking a major early on, but I've also known people who went through several majors because they didn't or couldn't take the time to find out what they really wanted.
TotallyUncool
#Member

Postby Bakajo Nono » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:26 pm

The school says to pick a major by the end of sophomore year. I'll be junior standing by the end of this quarter, but it'll still be my second-year technically, so I'm not sure what they want...

The thing is, after this quarter I'll have all of my gen ed requirements filled so I'll need to start getting into my major. Which doesn't exist...
Bakajo Nono
Acolyte

Postby Bakajo Nono » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:51 am

Not really much of a school rant... BUT YEAH A SCHOOL RANT. I really want to see Darren Criss succeed Daniel Radcliffe on Broadway, but my school starts THE DAY he starts. Curse you, college!
Bakajo Nono
Acolyte

Postby esm » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:50 am

Do the classes you've taken count for any major (I mean, several classes counting towards one major)? Cuz if it were me, I'd just finish off that one major, if it's something I'm pretty interested in, and then use the spaces available in my schedule for a minor or to explore other interests.

If you plan on going to grad school, it's not necessarily advantageous to focus on just one field (unless you're sure that's what you want to study, and I guess it also depends on the field). Well, I'm not in grad school yet, but when I browse through programs, there are many (depending on the school/department) that don't even care what you majored in as long as you can demonstrate genuine interest in the subject. Like maybe you took 1-2 classes, read a ton on your own, and/or did some independent study/research on it.

Sometimes I also browse through CVs and profiles of professors at my school to see what they studied in college and grad school, especially in interdisciplinary fields, where I want to see if it's feasible to jump from subject 1 to subject 2 through post-secondary education. Like I saw how a professor did a Biology BS (with a philosophy minor), then got two masters in philosophy and biology, then did his PhD in history & philosophy of science, so I'd be like, hmm maybe I could try something like that. I also look at the years they graduate to see how old they were, about how long they took in the grad program, etc. But then a lot of these professors went to schools like MIT and Harvard for undergrad so I can't compare myself to them. :fear:

School rant: Stressed about senior project + grad school shit, but what's new? >.>
esm

Favorite Idol: Reina, Eripon, Nakky

Postby TotallyUncool » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:06 am

I'm sure that the quality of undergraduate education where you are is high enough so that you could do that or the equivalent without any problem. I don't think there's any question about that.

As far as comparing yourself, don't look at the schools they went to -- look at your own ability, your own intelligence, your own thought-processes, and compare that with what they actually say and write. In other words, "Could I think like that, or do the equivalent, based on my own way of looking at things, if I have enough experience and background in the field?"

I think you'll find that you compare very well.
TotallyUncool
#Member

Next

Return to TALK: General Talk