School Rants Thread!

Manga, Anime, Gaming, Sports, TV, Film

Moderators: Sohee, Moh

Re: School Rants Thread!

Postby Bakajo Nono » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:39 pm

I'm adding a Documentary Studies minor. It's decided.

(It's not really decided.)

But I want to. Or maybe I just want to study documentaries. Or maybe I just want to watch them xD
Bakajo Nono
Acolyte

Favorite Idol: Eri Kamei

Postby esm » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:12 pm

that's cool :)

Ughhhhhhhhh this homework is boring. Protists are not fun to read about. I'm bored of biology. :fear: XD
esm

Favorite Idol: Reina, Eripon, Nakky

Postby Bakajo Nono » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:25 pm

Welp, I'm fucked.

I have an oral presentation in about 10 hours and it's supposed to cover a lot more than my partner and I initially thought. My professor said to focus on chapter 7 & 8, but the day's readings also include 9, 10, and 11. We don't need to go as in depth, I'm assuming, but we probably still need to ~address~ it.

And because it's absurd hour of the morning and my partner is probably asleep, I'm just going to do it myself. This is going to suck! I already gave him the shorter, easy chapter because he's less comfortable with the material, but now it's going to be super awk if I'm talking for like 15 minutes and he's talking for 5.

Kill me nowejwdnkajdnaskjnd. I hate vague assignments. Oh fuck it, it's my fault, I should've realized. Sigh sigh cry sob weep.

Okay no, it shouldn't be too bad. He said the presentations should be 5 to 7 minutes (although everyone's gone on for like a half hour). That's nothing. I'll discuss the chapter I have prepared in-depth, and then quickly summarize the end of the book. It will be o k a y . Must read like the wind...
Bakajo Nono
Acolyte

Postby TotallyUncool » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:20 am

And actually, one of the most important things that you learn in college is how to quickly pick up the key points of a subject and improvise -- unfortunately, it's one of those things that people wind up learning the hard way, since they generally don't teach classes in it (they really should, too -- sort of a generalized "Five Seconds to Think on Your Feet" class)... :fear:
If madness made us strong, we would all be invincible.
TotallyUncool
#Member

Location: Gaslighting myself, but then again, I would do that, wouldn't I?
Favorite Idol: Siao Fongfong '66

Postby Bakajo Nono » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:43 am

I think I'm done. I have 20 minutes until my class, and I'm anxious and feel like there's more to it, but taking into consideration the focus and the time limit, I think I'm okay. It should be okay. I'm just like wringing my hands and praying to the Almighty. XD

It's been a pretty crappy day. I didn't get much sleep and my brain is like... fried. And work kind of sucked because I was in a pissy mood and kind of just wanted to be left alone so I was getting really irritated with the students for forgetting super basic linear modeling (BUT I DON'T THINK I SHOWED IT. I hope not. It's not their fault that I'm in a bad mood :( ). It's just that they learned that material at the beginning of the quarter and used it for weeks before moving on, and now they obv need it for their midterm (next week) and final project and if they can't retain that then how are they going to do all the other questions?? Okay I'm being a douche, sorry.

I just hope my presentation doesn't completely suck. I'm so worried...
Bakajo Nono
Acolyte

Postby TotallyUncool » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:50 am

You'll be OK -- knock 'em dead (or at least out XD )!
TotallyUncool
#Member

Postby Bakajo Nono » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:19 am

Thanks TU x3

I only summarized the three other chapters (mostly because of the time limit), but it was good. My professor was like "I was a little worried because I was looking at your papers, and you didn't discuss past 7 and 8, so I'm really glad you mentioned it during the presentation." And there was only one (and a half) awkward pauses in our discussion. And then he told me I did a good job after class :3 !!!

I was so flustered though. I felt my face getting hot xD but it's okay, because it happens to all of us. He's just really intimidating. XD Oral presentations are just a pain xD especially when they're group ones ;.;

P H E W. Now I don't have to worry about this until... this weekend haha. I have another oral presentation on Wednesday s i g h.

My class got cancelled tomorrow so I only have one session of work. Weird o_o
Bakajo Nono
Acolyte

Postby TotallyUncool » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:32 am

Yay!Image
TotallyUncool
#Member

Postby Bakajo Nono » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:03 am

Comments on my midterm progress report:
"outstanding student. Pleasure to have her in 2 classes"

I started laughing so hard in the middle of the coffee shop when I read this. Here is why:
1. Aw, that's so sweet. I'm quite close to this professor, so I know that he likes me, but it's still sweet of him to say so.
2. Again, I know this professor, so I know for a fact that he probably typed this in about two seconds. Hence the ridiculous chatspeaky way it's written xD It just cracks me up. When you speak to him in person, he's the most articulate person in the world. I almost want to cry because he has this ridiculous way of just spewing knowledge effortlessly from his mouth that is just so... fascinating to listen to, but extremely difficult to kind of internalize. There's just so much xD And that's partly why he has said a couple times in class things like, "I KNOW YOU ALL ARE NOT EXPERTS, SO IF YOU GRASP AT LEAST 10% OF THE MATERIAL THAT'S GOOD. But write well, write academically, and put in the effort. Don't give me bullshit. I hate sloppy writing. I will deduct points because it irritates me to read 30 papers of sloppy writing."
Bakajo Nono
Acolyte

Postby Mirai » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:33 pm

I have paper that's due Sunday at 9pm, and I thought that the maximum limit of pages was 10, doubled spaced. I always try to make it as close to the max as possible, but it turns out it's 10 pages single spaced. Yeah no. Now I currently only have four. :cry: Not to mention, I have to make a Power Point presentation as well, complete with voice over (it's an online class). :crazy:
Mirai
Minion

Favorite Idol: Ai Takahashi

PreviousNext

Return to TALK: General Talk