School Rants Thread!

Manga, Anime, Gaming, Sports, TV, Film

Moderators: Sohee, Moh

Re: School Rants Thread!

Postby Pavlova » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:01 am

Amped wrote:a 9% tuition hike for cal state colleges in California has passed and students are outraged and violence erupted

comparison
in 2001 - $1600
in 2012 - almost $6000

http://www.fox40.com/news/headlines/ktl ... 2999.story

a 75% fee hike is going on right now in my province too. we're doing demonstrations and stuff..

I'm afraid I might have to drop out if it does go through. we'll be up to around 6200 a year? i think. including university fees and stuff that is not decided by the government.
Pavlova
Minion

Favorite Idol: Shimizu Saki

Postby Bakajo Nono » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:43 am

My first day back was today! I am so tired. Got no sleep last night and my flight landed this morning an hour and a half before I had to go into work so I'm just like sjhflsjkfkasjhfklsdja.

I had coffee so the first class I assisted, I was super jittery, the second was okay, then my first class of my own, I felt overly alert, and then my second class I completely zoned out. It took all my effort to keep my eyes open. Everything was blurry xDD I talked to my professor about something afterwards though and he didn't seemed to have noticed so that's good~

I have homework due tomorrow, but sleep need I now.

First zumba class tomorrow, woop woop!
Bakajo Nono
Acolyte

Favorite Idol: Eri Kamei

Postby esm » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:13 pm

I have a little less than two weeks left of winter break. I've been going to campus for most of break though, except during the holidays. Earning extra money through participating in some psychology experiments (psychoacoustics labs), and I'll be at work next week.

Classes for my last semester in college:
- Neuroscience and Society
- American Indian Philosophies
- The Darwinian Revolution
- Cell Biology
- Animal Diversity Lab
- Swedish II
- Philosophy Senior Project
esm

Favorite Idol: Reina, Eripon, Nakky

Postby Bakajo Nono » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:50 am

So glad the school week's over. I love college and all that, but I'm sick and I just want to... get better xD
Bakajo Nono
Acolyte

Postby Bakajo Nono » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:07 pm

I just asked one of my professors from last quarter if she could write a letter of recommendation for me. I hope she says yes because that was painful and I don't want to ask another professor xD

I was considering asking another professor with whom I spoke outside of class about my future goals and who gave me advice on them, etc. etc. because the internship I'm applying for is really basically exactly what I want to do and he knows that but I know he's super duper busy and I don't think he would appreciate me asking him to write one despite knowing how super busy he is xD
Bakajo Nono
Acolyte

Postby esm » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:10 pm

^ You could ask anyway because professors write recommendations a lot, so I'm sure they have some sort of template for it on their computer or at least a good idea of how they'd write it.

At first, I felt so bad about asking a professor to write me a recommendation about 2 weeks before the due date (Dec 1, so right after Thanksgiving), and I also found out that week that she was going to be away on a conference for a week, plus she's generally super busy. She was super nice about it though. I also found out from a friend that someone asked her for a letter since the summer and she was like, "Talk to me when the semester starts" and then, "Talk to me two weeks before the due date," so now I'm thinking what I did was fine for her. xD
esm

Favorite Idol: Reina, Eripon, Nakky

Postby TotallyUncool » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:27 pm

My father (who taught at a community college) considered writing letters of recommendation for students to be an important responsibility -- even if they weren't good students, he would take the time to write something diplomatic, because he took his students need for good recommendations seriously.
If madness made us strong, we would all be invincible.
TotallyUncool
#Member

Location: Gaslighting myself, but then again, I would do that, wouldn't I?
Favorite Idol: Siao Fongfong '66

Postby Bakajo Nono » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:36 am

She said she'd be delighted to. *cheers!* And she asked for the 'materials', which confused me xD google search'd it, so I should send her like a couple paragraphs summarizing how awesome I am?

As in, lol, I probably shouldn't send her my transcript itself or my resume itself right?

Sorry, I've never really done this before D:
Bakajo Nono
Acolyte

Postby erilaz » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:25 am

^ The materials should include a stamped, addressed envelope, if the letter is not being sent electronically. You should also give the professor whatever information she might need to tailor the letter to you and to what it is that you're being recommended for.

Here are some guidelines: http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/mern ... ation.html
"Sometimes it seems as though the whole point of the Japanese writing system is to keep non-Japanese people from understanding what the hell is going on." — Dave Barry
erilaz
Lazarus

Favorite Idol: 矢口真里

Postby Bakajo Nono » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:11 am

My goodness, I'm just so stressed out. I'm trying really hard not to cry in the middle of work, but I just, idk what to do. There's not enough time to do anything, jesus lorslskndalnanlfdkjfd.

I don't know how smart people do it. I can't handle all my readings and analyzing them. Like if I have readings I just can't analyze them well enough to discuss them in class and I just don't have time to think what the fuck. I've been literally reading all day, and there's a little lull in work right now so I'm typing this up, but I have to go help the kids now so I can't it never ends oh dear god.
Bakajo Nono
Acolyte

PreviousNext

Return to TALK: General Talk