School Rants Thread!

Manga, Anime, Gaming, Sports, TV, Film

Moderators: Sohee, Moh

Re: School Rants Thread!

Postby esm » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:14 am

What's it specifically called? If there is no pre-requisite that you haven't taken then you're as "qualified" to take it as anyone else who has met any designated requirement.

Actually, I find that people in college tend to be more open-minded and overall nicer, since college isn't clique-y like middle and high school. Unless it's some small private liberal arts college or something, but I think you don't have to worry about that.

I'm gonna go shop for notebooks and stuff to pack for lunch. Yay, first day of classes tomorrow. I'm not so nervous because I already know two of my professors; one I worked with in lab for a year, the other I had for class and went to Iceland with. I'm excited four out of my six classes are small (like under 15 people).

Rant: A philosophy professor I want to work with for my senior project seems to not get every other email I sent. I sent four in the past month, and he only replied to the second one (really quickly after I sent it). The third was a response to his email, and the fourth I sent a week later in case he didn't get the previous one. I'll stop by his office tomorrow in my free time.
esm

Favorite Idol: Reina, Eripon, Nakky

Postby Bakajo Nono » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:11 am

LSP 200-123: Sophomore Seminar - Performance Culture/Performance Identity. There's no pre-requisite at all. At my college, every sophomore has to take a sophomore seminar course on multiculturalism. There's a whole bunch of class sections, like mine, Philosophy and Multiculturalism, Psychology and Multiculturalism, Multiculturalism in the US, Multiculturalism after 9/11, Middle Eastern Communities, etc. It's just that, unlike most seminar classes, this one is a performance-based one. So we have to act and stuff. I think everyone (except me, hooray), who takes it will be theater students, and our theater school is pretty damn good xD

But yeah, it should be fun. I just hope I don't suck. Which I won't. Because I am awesome xD

My first day of school is the day after tomorrow. Part of me is really excited, but the other part just wants to chill at home forever.

But... I think ultimately, I'm really excited to be getting back to a routine. I've scheduled out my weeks so I should have time for the gym and stuff after work and everything. I even scheduled in Glee time xD (I'm working while it's on, but I have a break on Wednesdays before work and after class during which I can watch it on Hulu or something. Or during lunch of course xD)
Bakajo Nono
Acolyte

Favorite Idol: Eri Kamei

Postby esm » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:46 am

I just started watching Glee again. Half way through the second season. xD

Good luck tomorrow <3

I had a good first day, mostly because I have three "fun" classes. Swedish is so fun already.
esm

Postby Bakajo Nono » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:05 pm

One of the professors I'm working for just sent me an email asking me about myself.

It's just a friendly gesture, but OH GOD WHO AM I XD I can't think of anything to say xDD
Bakajo Nono
Acolyte

Postby TotallyUncool » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:44 am

That question always seems like a show-stopper at first, but I think you'll find that you've got a lot to say!
If madness made us strong, we would all be invincible.
TotallyUncool
#Member

Location: Gaslighting myself, but then again, I would do that, wouldn't I?
Favorite Idol: Siao Fongfong '66

Postby Bakajo Nono » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:21 am

I just told her boring school-related stuff. She sent such a sweet response. She got godawful reviews on ratemyprofessor from my school, but glowing reviews from another school she taught at. Weird xD
Bakajo Nono
Acolyte

Postby TotallyUncool » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:24 am

I think that sometimes at least, those reviews just represent whether or not a teacher is good for easy, no-brain grades or not.
TotallyUncool
#Member

Postby Bakajo Nono » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:32 am

I think her positive reviews were like that. Her negative ones were more about how she was unclear or disorganized and stuff.
Bakajo Nono
Acolyte

Postby TotallyUncool » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:48 am

Although some of the absolute best (as well as some of the worst) teachers I've had would almost certainly have been rated as unclear and disorganized, so it can be hard to tell...
TotallyUncool
#Member

Postby esm » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:17 am

Bakajo Nono wrote:One of the professors I'm working for just sent me an email asking me about myself.

It's just a friendly gesture, but OH GOD WHO AM I XD I can't think of anything to say xDD

Today in one of my classes we got a little survey on major, previous neuroscience classes taken, plans after graduation, etc. and the professor said write anything on the back. I scribbled like half my resume in. xD Well, more like my interests backed up by what I've done to actually pursue them (that would go on my resume).

ratemyprofessors.com has been accurate in my experience. Even if I don't agree with certain comments, I could see how people might think that way. Of course, it's ultimately just people's opinions. If the professor is new to teaching, chances are they could improve. I had an organic chemistry professor that was teaching the class for the first time, and he slaughtered the class. That was Spring '09. I read more recent reviews, and apparently he's super awesome now because he learned his lesson. It might depend on the class they taught too.
esm

PreviousNext

Return to TALK: General Talk