Last movie you watched

Manga, Anime, Gaming, Sports, TV, Film

Moderators: Sohee, Moh

Re: Last movie you watched

Postby erilaz » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:23 pm

Today I enjoyed an eclectic mix of movies on DVD and TV:

Theatre of Blood (1973) — Vincent Price plays a Shakespearean actor who exacts lethal revenge on his critics, with the assistance of his daughter, played by Diana Rigg.

The Four Musketeers (1974) — Richard Lester's rollicking sequel to his 1973 The Three Musketeers with the same star-studded cast, including Oliver Reed, Raquel Welch, Michael York, Faye Dunaway, and Charlton Heston. Christopher Lee is fantastic as the villainous, one-eyed Rochefort.

Bad Reputation (2018) — Kevin Kerslake's excellent documentary about rock 'n' roll legend Joan Jett.

Them! (1954) — A hugely influential sci-fi classic, the first of the giant mutated bug movies, starring James Whitmore as a police sergeant and James Arness as an FBI agent. A young, uncredited Leonard Nimoy even shows up in a blink-and-you'll-miss-it role as an army sergeant.
"Sometimes it seems as though the whole point of the Japanese writing system is to keep non-Japanese people from understanding what the hell is going on." — Dave Barry
erilaz
Lazarus

Favorite Idol: 矢口真里

Postby rikkikow » Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:49 pm

Big Trouble ...
what can I say except I must have seen the movie a hundred times and counting XD
Spoiler: show

HBO will be showing it again on Halloween :yahoo:
and on these dates too.
Thursday 10-31-19 Halloween
Sunday 11-03-19
Sunday 11-10-19
also on these dates too Nov. 12, 14, 15, 18, & the 22nd.

As Jack Burton would say at a time like this, "what the hell?" XD
Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.
Panda-san! Panda-san Power! Panda -san!
rikkikow

Postby Amped » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:18 am

Parasite (2019) a Korean dark comedy movie
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parasite_%282019_film%29

The movie reminded me of similarities to Japan's Shoplifters, except it's a little more gruesome.
Amped
High Priest

Postby Zunu » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:59 pm

^ I saw that about a week ago. Good point about Shoplifters. I was so busy seeing the more blatant similarities to “Us” and of course “Snowpiercer” that I totally forgot about Shoplifters.

Anyway, great film. I can’t wait to get it on DVD if there’s some kind of commentary track. There are a bunch of good analyses on YouTube already.
tending to put ~ on song titles since 2002
Zunu
Pantaloon

Favorite Idol: 能登有沙

Postby erilaz » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:35 pm

I saw Parasite three weeks ago, and I enjoyed it very much.

I had a busy, movie-filled day today:

Charlie's Angels (2019) — I had my doubts about this going in, but I ended up liking it a lot. It's a popcorn movie, of course (what else would you expect from Charlie's Angels?), but I think it's a worthy addition to the franchise.

The Banana Splits Movie (2019) — The costumed Hanna-Barbera characters from my childhood have become homicidal animatronics in this twisted addition to today's remake-mania.

The Gorgon (1964) — Hammer horror meets Greek mythology with Hammer superstars Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee, plus Patrick Troughton before he became the Second Doctor.

Mara of the Wilderness (1965) — A professor and his wife are killed by a bear while studying wolves in Alaska. Their orphaned daughter lives among the wolves for 12 years and becomes beautiful, fur-clad, pre-Petticoat Junction Linda (not yet Lori) Saunders, who is found by a doctoral student working for the Department of the Interior, played by pre-Batman Adam West.
"Sometimes it seems as though the whole point of the Japanese writing system is to keep non-Japanese people from understanding what the hell is going on." — Dave Barry
erilaz
Lazarus

Postby erilaz » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:00 pm

Last night on YouTube:

The Blood Drinkers (Kulay dugo ang gabi) (1964) — The first Filipino vampire movie in color, though only a few scenes were actually shot in color, the rest being tinted black-and-white footage. It was pretty cool, but the fake bat disrupted the atmosphere with its cheesiness.

This evening at the Roxie in San Francisco:

Decoder (1984) — German cyberpunk industrial weirdness, starring F. M. Einheit of Einstürzende Neubauten, who instigates a wave of sonic terrorism that causes rioting throughout West Germany. The cast also includes Christiane F. (an actress and musician who had been a heroin addict and prostitute by the age of 14), Genesis P-Orridge of Throbbing Gristle and Psychic TV, and countercultural icon William S. Burroughs.
erilaz
Lazarus

Postby erilaz » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:22 pm

My first movies of 2020 (on Tubi):

Slumber Party Massacre (1982) — It's a slasher film directed by a woman, with a screenplay by feminist writer Rita Mae Brown! Be that as it may, it still has female nudity. The main draw for me is my favorite B-movie actress, Brinke Stevens; this was her first credited speaking role, not to mention her first shower scene.

Astro-Zombies M3: Cloned (2010) — Ted V. Mikels's second abysmal sequel to The Astro-Zombies (1968), featuring the final cinematic appearance of the great Tura Satana. Sort of. She was very ill when it was filmed, so what we get of her is some poorly recorded audio and a "hologram" of how she looked in the 1968 film. She also appears in some clips from Mark of the Astro-Zombies (2004), as does Brinke Stevens. The film also stars Francine York, reprising the role of Sabrina from Mikels's The Doll Squad (1973), which also starred Tura Satana.
erilaz
Lazarus

Postby erilaz » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:53 pm

I celebrated Chinese New Year by seeing Ip Man 4: The Finale (2019) at the 4 Star Theatre in San Francisco. Ip Man goes to San Francisco in 1964, where he encounters racism from White Americans as well as from the kung fu masters in Chinatown.

One thing that struck me as odd was how the White villains hurled racist epithets at the Chinese and their kung fu, while they continued to crow about the superiority of their own "kuh-roddy" — as though 空手 were a homegrown product of W.A.S.P. Amerikkka.
erilaz
Lazarus

Postby Moh » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:30 am

Gemini Man: Current day Will Smith fights young, "Fresh Prince of Bel-Air" era Will Smith! A particularly badass Mary Elizabeth Winstead also fights young Will Smith! Clive Owen plays a bad dude! Lots of shooting, killer stunts, and explosions!

Wasn't sure what to expect from this film, as I can't even tell you the last movie I ever saw with Will Smith in it. :lol: I saw some reviews online saying it wasn't bad, so I picked it up from a Redbox. And yeah, it was actually pretty darn cool. Kudos to the people doing the computer graphics! They did a hell of a job with incorporating his younger face into the movie.
Moh
Prophet

Favorite Idol: 鈴木愛理・段原瑠々・島倉りか・北原もも

Postby rikkikow » Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:22 am

Kinamand (Chinaman)
A slow paced Danish subtitled (in English) movie. “Chinaman” becomes a man’s nickname after 25 years when his wife leaves him. He starts eating at a local Chinese restaurant daily eventually eating everything on the menu and setting up a schedule routine for meals with the owner. I was waiting for the man to get screwed by the Chinese owner because of the owner’s scheme and money being involved. I was wrong but true to life he gets screwed by life in the end. Kind of sad.

PS
The movie ends on a very nice positive note with his wife and with the restaurant owner.
Last edited by rikkikow on Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.
Panda-san! Panda-san Power! Panda -san!
rikkikow

PreviousNext

Return to TALK: General Talk