Recent purchases

Manga, Anime, Gaming, Sports, TV, Film

Moderators: Sohee, Moh

Re: Recent purchases

Postby erilaz » Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:06 pm

I just bought another Esperanto postcard on eBay, this one from Austria-Hungary (specifically Pardubice in Bohemia) from 1912. I was compelled to get this one because of the unusual handwriting and the old-timey aeroplane. This card reminds me of the first Esperanto postcard I got for my collection, though that one depicts a German village with a zeppelin flying overhead.

"Sometimes it seems as though the whole point of the Japanese writing system is to keep non-Japanese people from understanding what the hell is going on." — Dave Barry
erilaz
Lazarus

Favorite Idol: 矢口真里

Postby Moh » Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:09 pm

Got a lot of bread at the Tastykake outlet. I could live in that place. :fear: Also got some other groceries.
Moh
Prophet

Favorite Idol: 鈴木愛理・段原瑠々・島倉りか・北原もも

Postby erilaz » Sun Sep 04, 2016 10:32 am

Everything at Half Price Books is 20% off this weekend, so I swung by to pick up a couple of books that I was waiting to buy during their next sale and another that I spotted while browsing. To anyone who didn't know me, it would seem like a completely random assortment, but it's a pretty good representation of my usual hodgepodge of interests.

Astro Boy, Volume 7 by Osamu Tezuka, translated by Frederik L. Schodt. I now have volumes 1-12 without any gaps.

Clothes Clothes Clothes Music Music Music Boys Boys Boys by Viv Albertine. Memoirs of the guitarist of the seminal female punk band, the Slits.

Northern Antiquities; or, An Historical Account of the Manners, Customs, Religion and Laws, Maritime Expeditions and Discoveries, Language and Literature of the Ancient Scandinavians, (Danes, Swedes, Norwegians and Icelanders) with Incidental Notices Respecting Our Saxon Ancestors, translated from the French of M. Mallet, by Bishop Percy (London, 1890). I caved in when I saw the stuff on languages and runes, and for $4 after discount, why not?
"Sometimes it seems as though the whole point of the Japanese writing system is to keep non-Japanese people from understanding what the hell is going on." — Dave Barry
erilaz
Lazarus

Postby TotallyUncool » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:54 am

A few days ago, I bought a chainsaw. :fear: :fear: :fear: :fear: :fear: :fear: :fear: :fear: :fear: :fear: :fear: :fear: :fear: :fear: :fear: :fear: :fear: :fear: :fear: :fear: :fear: :fear: :fear: :fear: :fear: :fear: :fear: :fear: :fear: :fear: :fear: :fear:
If madness made us strong, we would all be invincible.
TotallyUncool
#Member

Location: Gaslighting myself, but then again, I would do that, wouldn't I?
Favorite Idol: Siao Fongfong '66

Postby erilaz » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:24 pm

^ I hope you got a lightweight Japanese designer chainsaw like the "Blues Campbell's Right Hand 2" from the movie Stacy. Perfect for dispatching teenage female zombies. XD

erilaz
Lazarus

Postby TotallyUncool » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:40 pm

It would be great if they came in 12-packs -- perfect for zombie parties! XD
If madness made us strong, we would all be invincible.
TotallyUncool
#Member

Location: Gaslighting myself, but then again, I would do that, wouldn't I?
Favorite Idol: Siao Fongfong '66

Postby erilaz » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:43 pm

Check out the book I bought on eBay! It’s called 改進用文 — “Writing for Reform,” “Literature for Progress,” or something like that — printed in Tokyo in Meiji 21 (1888).

The book seems to relate to Japan's focus on modernization and westernization during the Meiji Era, and it includes ten pages on a progressive European invention from the 1880s that is of particular interest to me: the international language Volapük! (Which explains my willingness to pay as much as I did....)

erilaz
Lazarus

Postby Moh » Wed May 17, 2017 12:27 pm

Since UC made me smaller, I ordered some clothing items:
Image Image Image

I like florals, clearly. Also, the dress has a French bulldog print!
Moh
Prophet

Postby erilaz » Mon May 22, 2017 12:29 pm

Himawari-kai's monthly used Japanese book sale was today, so I went and found a couple of $1 paperbacks that were worth buying:

Yowamushi Obake by Watanabe Megumi — It's a children's book about a supernatural being named Coal Tar (コールタール), and it's written at a low enough level that I can probably soldier through it with the aid of a dictionary, even though it's much longer than anything I've ever tried to read in Japanese before. がんばります!

Batoru Rowaiaru by Takami Koushun — Far too long and far too difficult for me to attempt to read it, but Battle Royale in the original Japanese for only a buck? Yes, please!
erilaz
Lazarus

Postby Moh » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:05 pm

The last personal purchase I made on Amazon was in 2015. :?: A very generous relative sent me a 50 dollar gift card!
Since my birthday's coming up, I decided to treat myself. Still have some money on it, too. :lol:

Image Image Image

10/5:
NYX Cosmetics
Love in Paris Eyeshadow Palette - Merci Beaucoup
Love in Florence Eyeshadow Palette - XOXO, Mona
Suede Matte Lip Liner - Little Denim Dress
Suede Matte Lip Liner - Sway
Butter Lipstick Set 4 - Easy Livin, Beach BBQ, Neon Lights
Extra Creamy Round Lipstick - Haute Couture
Moh
Prophet