The Pointless *48 Musings/Rants Thread

Groups, Idols, AKB, Gossip, Pop culture

Moderator: Moh

Re: The Pointless *48 Musings/Rants Thread

Postby BerryzCelebration » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:44 am

jeiwa42 wrote:^ There's a good amount of soloists but not really groups (unless it's a band). It'd be interesting for this to push through there. And yes, I think Japanese culture is pretty known there, there's value in young talents there (e.g. The Voice Kids), and definitely a lot of people who want to be famous/singers. I bet they'll be using SM Malls (mall chain) around the country as event venues, as well as possibly some of the big arenas.

True. But it's just refreshing to see a new group representing the Phillippines, an all girl one nonetheless. And there are some really good singers over there, I hope some of those talented voices notice the audition and decide to sign up (if applications are still being take).
BerryzCelebration

Favorite Idol: Mikitty/Chinami

Postby questorminator » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:23 pm

They haven't actually confirmed that they were forming a group yet. The only news so far is that there will be a theatre and it will be called MNL48 in a soon to be built mall called Cool Japan or something. Nobody even knows exactly where it'll be built. Of course a group will inevitably be formed (I mean, why make the theatre if it wasn't part of the deal?) but the news hasn't exactly spread like wildfire here. However, there is a major cosplay event this weekend, and no doubt people will be talking about it there.

I do know a lot of people who are excited that Team 8 is coming. While I honestly would have preferred an H!P group to come, I'm just thankful a major idol group agreed to drop by and I might check it out.
questorminator
Acolyte

Favorite Idol: Sayashi Riho

Postby BerryzCelebration » Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:51 pm

questorminator wrote:They haven't actually confirmed that they were forming a group yet. The only news so far is that there will be a theatre and it will be called MNL48 in a soon to be built mall called Cool Japan or something. Nobody even knows exactly where it'll be built. Of course a group will inevitably be formed (I mean, why make the theatre if it wasn't part of the deal?) but the news hasn't exactly spread like wildfire here. However, there is a major cosplay event this weekend, and no doubt people will be talking about it there.

I do know a lot of people who are excited that Team 8 is coming. While I honestly would have preferred an H!P group to come, I'm just thankful a major idol group agreed to drop by and I might check it out.

Seriously? That's weird of them to start building the theater before actually confirming the group or starting auditions. But then again this is JPOP and not everything in the JPOP world is organized and normal (as much as I'd love it to be). I really hope Team 8 make some type of announcement in regards to MNL48 and how it's all going to work out. I really want our first Team L haha.
BerryzCelebration

Favorite Idol: Mikitty/Chinami

Postby questorminator » Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:56 pm

^
According to one report, they're "testing the waters" to see if the concept works. I imagine auditions to be the least of their worries, especially because we have a lot of entities with vast experience who can help them with it. The first thing they would have to do is sell official merchandise. Like, they have a local music rights holder, but I haven't seen any of their albums or singles being sold anywhere. It's even likelier for Love Machine to be played in Japanese stores than KFC (MM 14's What is Love was played in a Japanese restaurant I've been into......twice).

My take is that they plan to make a physical theater as the starting point and then work from there. Having an official theater makes it easier to bring in teams from any of the 48groups to perform and create a buzz.

Their fan network is much more organized than H!Ps though. Probably because most of us that are left are too busy to organize networks and/or attend fan meet-ups.
questorminator
Acolyte

Postby jeiwa42 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:37 pm

AKB48 Team 8 performed on It's Showtime, a popular noontime show in the Philippines on November 7

I somehow completely missed this episode even though my family always watches this program, I wouldve heard about it since my family knows I'm into Japan stuff.

Anyways, it was amazing to hear that one of the members is fluent/can speak English. Good thing too since the "interpreter" they got doesn't know English too well and pretty much didnt translate anything...(he's actually a celebrity, been in the show business for years, and while not prominent, is a known figure, especially being one of the few Japanese in Philippine tv in years).

I smiled at the end where one of the hosts essentially performed a handshake event XD
KAE-DID IT!!! I am proud to have kept her KSS photo as my avatar since Feb 2, 2014, three years ago!!!
jeiwa42
Minion

Favorite Idol: MuroMinaTaguKisoORisaKaedi

Postby questorminator » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:29 am

Oh I remember this! Wasn't able to watch it on TV because I was on the way to the mall to watch their first show. I never expected AKB48 to have a pretty huge following here. And I even saw a guy walking with an H!P shirt.

The event was fun. I heard even they were surprised at the reception they got.
questorminator
Acolyte

Postby Denki » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:16 am

43rd single to be released March 8, 2016. The special 10th anniversary commemoration single will feature graduate members Acchan, Yuko, Tomochin, Mariko, Takamina and a senbatsu of 16. (21 in total.)

As a main A-side, I really hate the idea, especially now that the Yuihan era started. :(
Denki

Favorite Idol: えりぽん

Postby Pavlova » Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:08 am

I'm literally the only person who is happy about this lol
Pavlova
Minion

Favorite Idol: Shimizu Saki

Postby esm » Fri Dec 25, 2015 6:32 am

Whoa, that seems really cool. Like for me who hasn't been keeping up with the current group much lol.
esm

Favorite Idol: Reina, Eripon, Nakky

Postby erilaz » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:59 pm

Same here. I just watched the two-hour "Air Handshake Event" on the 0 to 1 no Aida DVD, and I could count on my fingers the current members that I'd be able to identify in a police lineup. And that's for ALL the ***48 groups put together.
"Sometimes it seems as though the whole point of the Japanese writing system is to keep non-Japanese people from understanding what the hell is going on." — Dave Barry
erilaz
Lazarus

Favorite Idol: 矢口真里

PreviousNext

Return to JPOP: The Rest