Switch to full style
Read me now, please.
Topic locked

SHORT PASSWORDS availability period OVER.

Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:43 pm

It's come to my attention that people are asking for shorter passwords. To be honest, I don't really understand the need for this, because,

1) Your browser remembers your password for you, you don't have to put it in after the first time anyways. And

2) If you have a 16 char minimum password requirement, just make it the same 8 char password twice. Or a 6 char password 3 times. For example, KaorinKaorinKaorin. No that's not my password :fear:

Anyway whiners and whingers, for at least 12 hours (possibly longer) from the time of this post, you'll be allowed to re-set your password to a 5 character minimum. Also we'll get a lot of bot registrations, so if you're using this opportunity to sign up for the first time, I would suggest posting something in the introduction thread or in this thread right away so I know you're a real person and I don't deactivate you by mistake. (I don't recommend PM'ing me, I'm not always logged on at this account.)

Re: SHORT PASSWORDS temporarily available.

Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:47 pm

Wow, in TEN MINUTES since reducing the PW length, we already got a spam registration and post.
:|

Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:29 pm

Have you considered adding Captcha or something like that? That's apparently quite good at keeping those bots away.

Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:23 pm

You know what's even better at keeping bots away? Sixteen character passwords.

Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:20 am

You should have just kept the 16 char. Password
I mean there is a reason why it exist, if people don't like it too bad -___-
it's better than having bots :S

Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:24 am

It's just temporary, so people can update their own accounts. We'll switch back and get rid of the crazies very soon. :)

Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:53 am

The only reason I dislike the super-long passwords is because sometimes the cookies go crazy and log me out. :/ But that hasn't happened in a while so I will keep my fingers crossed.

Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:01 am

^ Yeh but you don't have to keep your fingers crossed any more, you can change it to something short right nau.

Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:14 am

jplopper wrote:It's come to my attention that people are asking for shorter passwords. To be honest, I don't really understand the need for this, because,

1) Your browser remembers your password for you, you don't have to put it in after the first time anyways.

For realz :lol:

Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:21 am

Still though, might as well take the opportunity right now to change it to something shorter and more memorable.
I totally would do it, too, except that I've had the same (short) password since inception. :hehe:
Topic locked