Switch to full style
Manga, Anime, Gaming, Sports, TV, Film
Post a reply

Re: Last movie you watched

Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:39 pm

^ I haven't had a chance to watch it yet, but I added it to My List after I saw Tilda Swinton promoting it on one of the late night talk shows. The director, Bong Joon Ho, has directed a couple of my favorite Korean films, Barking Dogs Never Bite and The Host.

Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:05 pm

The Old Dark House — An entertaining pre-Code horror-comedy from 1932, directed by James Whale (Frankenstein, The Invisible Man, The Bride of Frankenstein). During a violent rainstorm, travelers are stranded at a spooky old house in the Welsh mountains, inhabited by a strange family and their bearded, scarred, mute butler, played by the great Boris Karloff.

Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:06 pm

I recently watched Alien: Covenant and Life (2017), not exactly back to back, but within a couple of weeks of each other. In my opinion, Life, which was basically a ripoff of the Alien "claustrophobic death ship" trope, was a much better Alien movie than Covenant. The characters were better rounded. Their motivations were clearer. Their unforced errors were more reasonable and more organically derived. The twist ending was a better twist. Covenant was just frustrating because the characters made all the stupid mistakes that the crew made in Prometheus. I understand that there was no way for them to learn from the mistakes of another crew in a different film but they didn't even learn from their own mistakes in the same goddamn film they were already in.

Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:28 am

^ You would think movie characters had never seen a sci-fi movie before. Everybody knows that you never, ever, open the freaking air lock for anybody! :hehe:

Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:26 am

Also, "let's split up to cover more ground" is never a good idea in any movie ever.

Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:47 pm

We had a free HBO & Cinemax trial over the weekend, I've been slowly combing through the things that were recorded.

Hacksaw Ridge ★★★★★
I loved this, my dad loved this, my uncle probably loved it, I will be telling my mother and sister to watch it. I haven't cared much about Andrew Garfield up until now, but I might keep an eye out after watching this.

Good Will Hunting ★★★
I'd never seen this before today and it isn't one that family members have tried to make me watch or one I've seen tons of clips from online already, so I wasn't entirely sure of what to expect. It was enjoyable. I feel no need to watch it again, but I wouldn't object if someone else wanted to.

The Accountant ★★
This was okay. It didn't live up to what I wanted it to be, but I liked the main character. The premise would be very suited to a TV series, and I think a longer format would've helped with the pacing.

Ted 2
I liked it more than the first one? I expected stupid and I got stupid; it passed the time between grocery trips okay.

Keeping Up With the Jonses
Wanted to give it a chance because of Zach Galifianakis. That was a mistake.

Batman vs Superman
I love Batman. My family is a Batman family. This was ugly crap.

Beginner's Guide to Sex -★
This is one of the worst things I've ever watched.

Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:52 pm

Tuesday evening I went to a free screening (with free popcorn!) of Jordan Peele's Get Out (2017) at my local public library. A young white woman takes her black boyfriend to meet her wealthy parents out in the country. The parents seem nice enough, but the boyfriend starts noticing some creepy, weird goings-on.... A very enjoyable horror film! (Or is it a thriller? Sometimes it's a comedy.)

Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:15 pm

^ I'm really looking forward to watching that (eventually). I hope I haven't gotten my hopes up too high - that's happened with the last two horror/thriller movies I was excited to see.

Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:26 am

I wanna see that movie, too. Maybe Redbox will still have it next week.

Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:36 pm

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (2017) — It's chock-full of spectacular visuals (the reason I opted to see it on the big screen), but it just didn't have the appeal or the oomph of Besson's earlier sci-fi masterpiece, The Fifth Element. Valerian and Laureline are weaksauce compared to Korben Dallas and Leeloo.

Movie 43 (2013) — Big-name stars in a collection of seriously effed-up sketches, with a 4% score on Rotten Tomatoes. I enjoyed it more than I probably should have. If you're easily offended — by anything — you should avoid it at all costs. Even so, I still found it far less offensive than some of the stuff I've been seeing on the news recently....
Post a reply