Last movie you watched

Manga, Anime, Gaming, Sports, TV, Film

Moderators: Sohee, Moh

Re: Last movie you watched

Postby rikkikow » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:38 am

The Great Wall

I liked it. Entertaining and with some humor, and quite a bit different from Wednesday Campanella's Japanese 'Peach Boy" (Momotarō) legend. XD
Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.
Panda-san! Panda-san Power! Panda -san!
rikkikow

Postby Nayoko-Kihara » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:21 pm

Interstellar ★★
Yet again the reveal killed what interest I had, and I fast forwarded my way through the rest of it. I need to be more picky.

Edit:

The Three Faces of Eve ★★★★
TCM always comes through for me at least once or twice a month. Now I very much want to see "Lizzie" and read Shirley Jackson's "The Bird's Nest". I'll also probably read up on Joanne Woodward's filmography.

David and Lisa ★★★
See above comments on TCM and looking out for source material. ^
Nayoko-Kihara
Devoted Devotee

Postby erilaz » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:26 pm

The Beatles in Help! (1965) — in 35mm, at PIXAR! :w00t:

Pixar has free movie screenings every week for employees and their families and friends. A friend of mine whose wife works there invited me, and it was my first time seeing the place (I've seen the movie several times). We had time for a little tour before the film, so I got to see things like concept art for Coco and the glass case full of Oscars, Golden Globes, etc. It looks like such an amazing place to work; it makes me hate my own job that much more....
"Sometimes it seems as though the whole point of the Japanese writing system is to keep non-Japanese people from understanding what the hell is going on." — Dave Barry
erilaz
Lazarus

Favorite Idol: 矢口真里

Postby erilaz » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:33 pm

Oh Lucy! (2017) — Very funny, though it also has some dark moments. It currently has a score of 100% on the Tomatometer. I went to a screening where director Atsuko Hirayanagi was present for Q&A.

"Sometimes it seems as though the whole point of the Japanese writing system is to keep non-Japanese people from understanding what the hell is going on." — Dave Barry
erilaz
Lazarus

Postby erilaz » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:56 pm

Kurosawa Kiyoshi's latest, Before We Vanish (散歩する侵略者) (2017) — Three advance scouts for an alien invasion inhabit human bodies and suck knowledge from others, leaving them without the concepts that the aliens have absorbed. I enjoyed it. Maeda Atsuko has a smallish role, as the sister-in-law of one of the aliens' hosts; I sure seem to see a lot of movies with her in them!

erilaz
Lazarus

Postby erilaz » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:50 am

How to Talk to Girls at Parties (2017) — Croydon, 1977. Three teenage punks find themselves at a party where some very weird stuff is going on. Otherworldly weird. "They must be from California."

It's a bizarre movie and I loved it, but it's definitely not for everybody. Directed by John Cameron Mitchell and based on a short story by Neil Gaiman, both of whom were present for Q&A, this was the film's North American premiere at the San Francisco Film Festival. Trailers give away too much and are best avoided. Opens in the U.S. on May 18th.

I'm looking forward to the mini-series of Good Omens, coming next year. :)
erilaz
Lazarus

Postby rikkikow » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:49 am

Tomb Raider (2018)
IMHO the best Lara Croft movie so far. Very "gamey" just like the video game Tomb Raider. Want more!

Nine years later, in 2018, Lara Croft opened the tomb. :yahoo: (She would of opened it sooner but she had to grow up first.)
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/japan/5419986/Tomb-of-legendary-Japanese-Queen-Himiko-found.html
Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.
Panda-san! Panda-san Power! Panda -san!
rikkikow

Postby Moh » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:47 pm

Proud Mary: Taraji could've played the ultimate badass in this movie! But nothing really happened until close to the end of it. It wasn't bad, but I think they could've done so much more with it. And whoever promoted this movie did a terrible job, cause I forgot that it had ever been out in theatres.
Roman J. Israel, Esq.: Not being a fan of movies/TV shows about lawyers, I went in with low expectations. :lol: But ended up enjoying it pretty well. I'd probably watch it again.
Moh
Prophet

Favorite Idol: 鈴木愛理・段原瑠々・島倉りか・北原もも

Postby erilaz » Sun May 13, 2018 2:41 pm

Bringing Up Baby (1938) — The classic Howard Hawks screwball comedy, starring Katharine Hepburn and Cary Grant.

erilaz
Lazarus

Postby erilaz » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:43 pm

13 Minutes (Elser) (2015) — On 8 November 1939, Georg Elser attempted to assassinate Adolf Hitler, because sometimes people can't just stand idly by while Nazis are destroying their country. The attempt failed, of course: Hitler left the building 13 minutes before Elser's time bomb exploded.
erilaz
Lazarus

PreviousNext

Return to TALK: General Talk