Last movie you watched

The K-bar's nerdier little brother.

Re: Last movie you watched

Postby erilaz » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:45 pm

^ Wow, it really seems to polarize the audience. Nearly all the Netflix user reviews are either five stars or one. XD

My most recent movie: Soul Kitchen (2009), a comedy by Turkish-German director Fatih Akın. Greek-German Zinos Kazantsakis owns a diner in Hamburg with loyal customers who like his crappy food. Zinos has to deal with his girlfriend moving to Shanghai, and things get shaken up at the diner after he reconnects with a classmate from elementary school, hires a temperamental chef who was fired from a fancy restaurant, and finds his brother out of jail on limited parole, looking for a job (or at least a signed statement certifying that he has a job). I enjoyed it.
"Experience in the acquisition of European languages can help you to learn Japanese about as much as it could help you to acquire the language spoken by the inhabitants of Mars." — Lafcadio Hearn
erilaz

Favorite Idol: 矢口真里

Postby Zunu » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:09 am

I saw that. Yeah, it was surprisingly not unenjoyable, and Smith has a good cartoon voice.
Zunu
Pantaloon

Favorite Idol: @notoarisa

Postby erilaz » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:37 pm

The Mouse That Roared (1959), based on the satirical novel by Leonard Wibberley and starring Peter Sellers, Peter Sellers, and Peter Sellers. The tiny, bankrupt Duchy of Grand Fenwick declares war on the U.S.A., sending an invasion force of 22 men to New York City, so that they can quickly lose the war and reap the benefits of postwar American aid. But you know what happens to the best laid plans o' mice and men....

I'd forgotten that William Hartnell and Leo McKern were in this movie, before they became the First Doctor and Number 2 respectively.
"Experience in the acquisition of European languages can help you to learn Japanese about as much as it could help you to acquire the language spoken by the inhabitants of Mars." — Lafcadio Hearn
erilaz

Postby esm » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:59 am

Since it's been discussed here... I watched Neo Yokio. I don't really know how I feel about it. I watched it all just because it's only 6 episodes long. The last episode was pretty good, but I didn't really like the first five.
esm
Devotee

Favorite Idol: Reina, Eripon, Nakky

Postby erilaz » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:31 am

The Foreigner (2017) — After his daughter (Katie "Cho Chang" Leung) is killed in a terrorist bombing, the owner of a Chinese restaurant in London seeks vengeance. And since he's played by Jackie Chan, you know his very particular set of skills will go far beyond making Kung Pao Chicken....
erilaz

Postby Amped » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:40 pm

Blade Runner 2049 - the dark and deep sequel to the 1982 film. I liked it. There quite a bit Japanese signage and language used in the movie. Its like Japan took over dark Los Angeles in 2049.
Amped
Priest

Postby erilaz » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:13 pm

I saw two films at the Pacific Film Archive today:

Horse Feathers (1932) — Classic Marx Brothers zaniness. Quincy Adams Wagstaff (Groucho), the new president of Huxley University, mistakenly recruits goofballs Baravelli (Chico) and Pinky (Harpo) for his school's football team on the eve of the big game against Darwin University.

"Whatever it is, I'm against it!"

Window to America (美國之窗) (1952)

A New York City businessman meets a window washer hoping to commit suicide and decides to market his grief to the highest bidder in this acidic satire on American capitalism, one made even more memorable by the fact that the entire “American” cast are Chinese actors in whiteface. The greedy Mr. Butler (Shi Hui) convinces the suicidal “Charley” that he might as well endorse some cigarettes as he jumps out of his office window, and maybe wear a particular suit too. A true cinematic oddity, this Korean War–era propaganda piece is a satire that Frank Tashlin could envy.

https://bampfa.org/event/window-america
erilaz

Postby erilaz » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:57 pm

Celedam wrote:Actress Yuu Aoi likes ANGERME…

I just saw her in Tokyo Ghoul (東京喰種 トーキョーグール) this evening at a special screening in Berkeley. Unfortunately, even though she had an important role, she didn't have much screen time.
erilaz

Postby erilaz » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:58 pm

Miike Takashi's 100th(!) film, Blade of the Immortal (無限の住人) — A young girl, out for revenge against the men who killed her father and abducted her mother, seeks the aid of a samurai who cannot be killed, played by SMAP's Kimura Takuya. The cast also includes Toda Erika (who kicks ass) and Kuriyama Chiaki (with blonde hair, but with very little to do in her tiny cameo). As he did in 13 Assassins, Miike fills his jidai-geki with plenty of ultra-violence and a high body count. Fun stuff!

erilaz

Postby Moh » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:55 pm

I saw a few movies while I was in MS during the hurricane evacuation. I didn't post about them, though!
Movie tickets were cheap in Gulfport, btw. :blink:

Independence Day: Those special effects sure were something 20 years ago. :fear: Plot was better than the sequel, though.
The Dark Tower: I haven't read the book(s). Truthfully, I went to see this cause I like Idris Elba. It ended up being a decent movie!
Guardians of the Galaxy: Volume 2: Uhhhh I stopped caring about superhero movies a long time ago. I never saw the first one. The best parts were the soundtrack and baby Groot.
John Wick: I need to see this uninterrupted because I really enjoyed what I saw. :lol:

And today I saw Zootopia! It was fun. Why wasn't Try Everything a massive hit like Let It Go? :roll:
Moh
Prophet

Postby Zunu » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:58 am

Moh wrote:The Dark Tower: I haven't read the book(s). Truthfully, I went to see this cause I like Idris Elba. It ended up being a decent movie!
And today I saw Zootopia! It was fun.

I used to work with someone who was exactly like that lady sloth. She took forever to tell you anything and if you dared interrupt her she's just start over again from the beginning. Good to know about the Dark Tower, been wondering whether it was worth watching on a lazy night.
Zunu
Pantaloon

Postby Moh » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:40 pm

Zunu wrote:I used to work with someone who was exactly like that lady sloth. She took forever to tell you anything and if you dared interrupt her she's just start over again from the beginning.

Wow, sounds like a nightmare. :lol:

Another movie I forgot about during my time in Gulfport: The Equalizer.
I don't remember much about it. Denzel Washington was a home improvement store employee, and he kicked a lot of asses!

Some more from the past couple of days:
Moana: I liked the visuals a lot. Story was interesting, too. I'd probably watch it again.
Wonder Woman: I was really looking forward to seeing this. I ended up feeling really underwhelmed after watching. I'm not sayin' it was awful, but I probably wouldn't see it again unless it was a life-or-death situation. :whistling:
Moh
Prophet

Postby Zunu » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:35 am

Moh wrote:but I probably wouldn't see it again unless it was a life-or-death situation. :whistling:

So if there's, like, this runaway trolley, and it's headed for three babies and an old lady tied to the tracks, and you can pull a lever to make it switch over to a siding rendering the captives safe, but first you have to rewatch Wonder Woman, then in that case, you might see it again, is what I'm hearing? XD

I mean dang, granted the movie was highly overrated, but Gal Gadot is just so adorable, for me it made up for a multitude of sins. Also I kind of have a dudecrush on Chris Pine. Although, yeah, especially if you're tired of superhero films, I imagine that plodding third act would be incredibly hard to sit through. :)
Zunu
Pantaloon

Postby erilaz » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:49 am

Zunu wrote:I mean dang, granted the movie was highly overrated, but Gal Gadot is just so adorable, for me it made up for a multitude of sins.

BAM! My sentiments exactly.

Speaking of superhero movies, I saw Thor: Ragnarok yesterday. Did it live up to all the hype? I suppose so. It was definitely a lot of fun, I laughed a lot, and the Stan cameo did not disappoint. (Of course, the part of my brain that is well versed in Völuspá and the other authentic sources of Norse mythology has to shut down for a couple of hours whenever I see a Thor movie, and "By-frost" is always like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.)
erilaz

Postby Zunu » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:02 am

Yeah, that Buy Frost thing. I mean, it's not like there's an established common (mis)pronunciation of the word and so they were forced to stick with the Americanized version or come off as pretentious. OTOH I get it, seems there's a tendency to for less common words to "want" to converge toward default morphological conventions. The other day, I was listening to a podcast and the hosts who otherwise seemed well-educated, were all mispronouncing a word that used to be commonplace but no longer was. I wish I could remember the exact word. It was something along the lines of "Sony Walkman" where a person under 25 might pronounce as "Sony Walk, man!" but someone in their late 30s would know as "Sony Walkmin."

Lol, that reminds me of "Rowbits."

Spoiler: show
Zunu
Pantaloon

Postby erilaz » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:39 am

^ Ah yes, I've heard that pronunciation many times in '50s sci-fi films. One of my co-workers (who's even older than me) was telling me recently that his ex-wife pronounced it that way, which drove him nuts. I don't think it's why they got divorced, though.
erilaz

Postby Moh » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:39 am

Zunu: Nailed it! :lol: I can agree that Gadot and Pine were definitely eye candy, though.
Moh
Prophet

Postby erilaz » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:17 pm

The Divine Order (Die göttliche Ordnung) (2017) — Switzerland, 1971: Women still don't have the right to vote (!), so a housewife in a small town becomes an activist to fight for change. It was an enjoyable movie with a worthwhile message.

This is one of those rare films in which most of the characters speak Schwyzerdüütsch (Swiss German). Without subtitles I might only have understood about 25-30% of what they were saying. The only characters that I was able to understand perfectly without subs were the Italian woman, who spoke clear but accented Hochdeutsch (standard German), sprinkled with occasional Italian words, and the Swedish woman, who spoke a crazy mishmash of German and English.
erilaz

Postby erilaz » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:14 pm

Let's see... What was the movie I saw most recently? Well, duh.

(Helpful hint: I was a nerdy 11-year-old boy in 1977.)
erilaz

Previous

Return to TALK: Manga, Anime, Gaming, Sports, TV, Film