Last movie you watched

Manga, Anime, Gaming, Sports, TV, Film

Moderators: Sohee, Moh

Re: Last movie you watched

Postby Zunu » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:58 am

Moh wrote:The Dark Tower: I haven't read the book(s). Truthfully, I went to see this cause I like Idris Elba. It ended up being a decent movie!
And today I saw Zootopia! It was fun.

I used to work with someone who was exactly like that lady sloth. She took forever to tell you anything and if you dared interrupt her she's just start over again from the beginning. Good to know about the Dark Tower, been wondering whether it was worth watching on a lazy night.
tending to put ~ on song titles since 2002
Zunu
Pantaloon

Favorite Idol: 能登有沙

Postby Moh » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:40 pm

Zunu wrote:I used to work with someone who was exactly like that lady sloth. She took forever to tell you anything and if you dared interrupt her she's just start over again from the beginning.

Wow, sounds like a nightmare. :lol:

Another movie I forgot about during my time in Gulfport: The Equalizer.
I don't remember much about it. Denzel Washington was a home improvement store employee, and he kicked a lot of asses!

Some more from the past couple of days:
Moana: I liked the visuals a lot. Story was interesting, too. I'd probably watch it again.
Wonder Woman: I was really looking forward to seeing this. I ended up feeling really underwhelmed after watching. I'm not sayin' it was awful, but I probably wouldn't see it again unless it was a life-or-death situation. :whistling:
Moh
Prophet

Favorite Idol: 鈴木愛理・段原瑠々・島倉りか・北原もも

Postby Zunu » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:35 am

Moh wrote:but I probably wouldn't see it again unless it was a life-or-death situation. :whistling:

So if there's, like, this runaway trolley, and it's headed for three babies and an old lady tied to the tracks, and you can pull a lever to make it switch over to a siding rendering the captives safe, but first you have to rewatch Wonder Woman, then in that case, you might see it again, is what I'm hearing? XD

I mean dang, granted the movie was highly overrated, but Gal Gadot is just so adorable, for me it made up for a multitude of sins. Also I kind of have a dudecrush on Chris Pine. Although, yeah, especially if you're tired of superhero films, I imagine that plodding third act would be incredibly hard to sit through. :)
Zunu
Pantaloon

Postby erilaz » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:49 am

Zunu wrote:I mean dang, granted the movie was highly overrated, but Gal Gadot is just so adorable, for me it made up for a multitude of sins.

BAM! My sentiments exactly.

Speaking of superhero movies, I saw Thor: Ragnarok yesterday. Did it live up to all the hype? I suppose so. It was definitely a lot of fun, I laughed a lot, and the Stan cameo did not disappoint. (Of course, the part of my brain that is well versed in Völuspá and the other authentic sources of Norse mythology has to shut down for a couple of hours whenever I see a Thor movie, and "By-frost" is always like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.)
"Sometimes it seems as though the whole point of the Japanese writing system is to keep non-Japanese people from understanding what the hell is going on." — Dave Barry
erilaz
Lazarus

Favorite Idol: 矢口真里

Postby Zunu » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:02 am

Yeah, that Buy Frost thing. I mean, it's not like there's an established common (mis)pronunciation of the word and so they were forced to stick with the Americanized version or come off as pretentious. OTOH I get it, seems there's a tendency to for less common words to "want" to converge toward default morphological conventions. The other day, I was listening to a podcast and the hosts who otherwise seemed well-educated, were all mispronouncing a word that used to be commonplace but no longer was. I wish I could remember the exact word. It was something along the lines of "Sony Walkman" where a person under 25 might pronounce as "Sony Walk, man!" but someone in their late 30s would know as "Sony Walkmin."

Lol, that reminds me of "Rowbits."

Spoiler: show
Zunu
Pantaloon

Postby erilaz » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:39 am

^ Ah yes, I've heard that pronunciation many times in '50s sci-fi films. One of my co-workers (who's even older than me) was telling me recently that his ex-wife pronounced it that way, which drove him nuts. I don't think it's why they got divorced, though.
"Sometimes it seems as though the whole point of the Japanese writing system is to keep non-Japanese people from understanding what the hell is going on." — Dave Barry
erilaz
Lazarus

Postby Moh » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:39 am

Zunu: Nailed it! :lol: I can agree that Gadot and Pine were definitely eye candy, though.
Moh
Prophet

Favorite Idol: 鈴木愛理・段原瑠々・島倉りか・北原もも

Postby erilaz » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:17 pm

The Divine Order (Die göttliche Ordnung) (2017) — Switzerland, 1971: Women still don't have the right to vote (!), so a housewife in a small town becomes an activist to fight for change. It was an enjoyable movie with a worthwhile message.

This is one of those rare films in which most of the characters speak Schwyzerdüütsch (Swiss German). Without subtitles I might only have understood about 25-30% of what they were saying. The only characters that I was able to understand perfectly without subs were the Italian woman, who spoke clear but accented Hochdeutsch (standard German), sprinkled with occasional Italian words, and the Swedish woman, who spoke a crazy mishmash of German and English.
erilaz
Lazarus

Postby erilaz » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:14 pm

Let's see... What was the movie I saw most recently? Well, duh.

(Helpful hint: I was a nerdy 11-year-old boy in 1977.)
erilaz
Lazarus

Postby Zunu » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:46 pm

^ Then I guess I wasn't the only one who saw The Shape of Water, but I have to admit that it did not bear as close a resemblance to that 1977 classic "Tentacles" as I thought it would.
For one it was a good movie.

A movie spoiler about a certain recently released megablockbuster film is contained within:
Spoiler: show
I also saw some other flick on Thursday night which I believe was entitled "The 'Laz, Head High." Pretty sure it was a documentary about a bookish hermit living amongst his odd puffin companions, til he suffered dire consequences from drinking unpasteurized milk.
Zunu
Pantaloon

PreviousNext

Return to TALK: General Talk