Last movie you watched

Manga, Anime, Gaming, Sports, TV, Film

Moderators: Sohee, Moh

Re: Last movie you watched

Postby rikkikow » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:53 am

Himalaya (1999)
Description: Oscar nominated Nepali Movie in The Himalaya Country Nepal.
“An aging chief's last stand, lessons for the new, and the education of a young chief-to-be played against the harsh Nature in Nepal's Dolpo.”

Local products are not sufficient to guarantee the community’s survival. Rock salt is traded to the lower parts of Nepal for grain. Yaks are used as pack animals, and for milk, meat, and hide. The movie was shot on location in a region that can only be reached on foot, filmed with no special effects, and with all but two characters played by real chiefs, lamas (high priest) and local villagers. The acting is superb. The film depicts universal human themes. According to the special features the story is based upon the true story of a community of Tibetans known as Dolpa. Filming began in 1997 using 200 porters, 150 yaks, and 15 film crew members over a nine month period.

trailer:
https://youtu.be/vN--9D7rmlQ

Movie has a great sound track. Yaks seem to be very trustworthy and obedient animals. :notworthy:
Spoiler: show
https://youtu.be/OqnAxJgVw3Y
[One yak and two bags of salt go to the Mountain Demons.]
https://youtu.be/UECRCq1ip-U

edits done
Some of these people may have never seen a tree, definitely never seen a movie.
More about the Nomads of Dolpo here: http://voices.nationalgeographic.com/2015/07/12/nomads-of-dolpo/
Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.
Panda-san! Panda-san Power! Panda -san!
rikkikow

Postby erilaz » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:36 am

In the theater:
Kedi (2016) — Hundreds of thousands of cats run freely in the city of Istanbul, cared for by people who are not their owners. This delightful documentary focuses on seven of these cats, their distinctive personalities, and the people in their lives.

On DVD:
This Girl Is Badass (Jukkalan) (2011) — Thai martial arts star Yanin "Jeeja" Vismitananda plays a bike messenger who gets mixed up with an assortment of dangerous (and often ridiculous) characters. The action scenes are fantastic, but the comedy is really silly.

"Sometimes it seems as though the whole point of the Japanese writing system is to keep non-Japanese people from understanding what the hell is going on." — Dave Barry
erilaz
Lazarus

Favorite Idol: 矢口真里

Postby erilaz » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:08 am

The Promise (2016) — Oscar Isaac stars as Michael Boghosian, an Armenian medical student in Constantinople at the outbreak of World War I, in a romantic drama set amid the genocide of Christian populations in the Ottoman Empire: Armenians, Assyrians, and Greeks. It's an excellent film and a timely reminder about an episode in history that should never be forgotten. Կը յիշեմ եւ կը պահանջեմ։
"Sometimes it seems as though the whole point of the Japanese writing system is to keep non-Japanese people from understanding what the hell is going on." — Dave Barry
erilaz
Lazarus

Postby Moh » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:19 am

I watched Sing the other night. It was cute. The best part was Tori Kelly's solo at the end, honestly. :lol:

I also watched (mostly listened) to The Force Awakens. I don't really remember the other Star Wars movies, but this one wasn't too bad. Now I'm excited to see John Boyega in that Pacific Rim sequel. :fear:
Moh
Prophet

Favorite Idol: 鈴木愛理・段原瑠々・島倉りか・北原もも

Postby Nayoko-Kihara » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:35 pm

I probably won't watch any of these again:

Beautiful Creatures
It was on TV while I was doing other things. Turned out to be as boring as the book.

Cast Away ★★
I love Tom Hanks. This did not live up to expectations.

Cirque du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant ★★
I liked this book series a lot. It was a mistake to try and turn it into films, it was a mistake to try and cram a bunch of it together. It would've worked better on TV (and still would). I didn't dislike everything though; Selma Hayak with a beard was fun and I didn't expect to see Kristen Schaal.

American Psycho
See "Cast Away": This did not live up to expectations. Christian Bale's manner of speaking was annoying. The soundtrack was great. If I ever go back I think I would be better off reading the novel and imagining things for myself.

Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising ★★★
This was mindless fun that wasn't boring. I was happy to be introduced to Beanie Feldstein and Nora Lum.

Straight Outta Compton ★★★
I understand why this was raved over, but I have no real personal connection to the music or the history discussed so at best it was a somewhat entertaining film about a music genre I don't often listen to. I probably wouldn't have watched this had we not been given free HBO over the weekend.
Nayoko-Kihara
Devoted Devotee

Postby Zunu » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:10 pm

Nayoko-Kihara wrote:I probably won't watch any of these again:

Beautiful Creatures
It was on TV while I was doing other things. Turned out to be as boring as the book.

I always get the title of that movie mixed up with "Heavenly Creatures" which was like the start of a decade-long Kate Winslet crush for me.
tending to put ~ on song titles since 2002
Zunu
Pantaloon

Favorite Idol: 能登有沙

Postby erilaz » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:42 pm

^ Funny that you should say that! When I saw Beautiful Creatures in Nayoko's list, I thought, "I loved that movie!" But then I thought, "No, wait, I'm thinking of Heavenly Creatures!" XD

Speaking of creature features, today I saw Colossal, in which an out-of-work writer, played by Anne Hathaway, discovers that she controls the actions of a giant monster that is wreaking havoc in Seoul. Great fun!

erilaz
Lazarus

Postby Zunu » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:38 am

^ When you say "Great fun" do you mean, so bad it's ridiculous, or that it was actually a quality movie?
tending to put ~ on song titles since 2002
Zunu
Pantaloon

Favorite Idol: 能登有沙

Postby erilaz » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:59 pm

^ The concept is absurd, of course — perhaps even more absurd than that of kaijū films in general — but I thought the film was well done, and I enjoyed it very much. I certainly wouldn't class it with the likes of, say, Plan Nine from Outer Space, Manos: The Hands of Fate, or Satan's Cheerleaders, all of which I love, even though they are most definitely schlock. Be advised, however, that "great fun" for me doesn't necessarily mean that Colossal is a laugh a minute; this movie gets pretty dark at times.
erilaz
Lazarus

Postby Nayoko-Kihara » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:30 pm

The Perks of Being a Wallflower ★★
Did a lackluster job trying to combine serious emotional elements with watered down versions of "high school movie" tropes. Two stars for effort. I hope the book is better since it's so popular. Emma Watson's American accent was a horrible distraction, I hope it's less obvious in the upcoming Tom Hanks film.
Nayoko-Kihara
Devoted Devotee

PreviousNext

Return to TALK: General Talk