Last movie you watched

Manga, Anime, Gaming, Sports, TV, Film

Moderators: Sohee, Moh

Re: Last movie you watched

Postby erilaz » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:34 pm

Silence — Martin Scorsese's latest, based on a novel by Endō Shūsaku about Jesuit missionaries in 17th-century Japan, where being a Christian was a capital offense. Heavy stuff. On a personal level, I was reminded of the persecution of the Armenians and other Christians in Turkey a century ago, including my grandmother, who survived the deportations, and my grandfather's father, who was arrested and executed.

"Sometimes it seems as though the whole point of the Japanese writing system is to keep non-Japanese people from understanding what the hell is going on." — Dave Barry
erilaz
Lazarus

Favorite Idol: 矢口真里

Postby esm » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:54 am

バースデーカード (Birthday Card) (2016)

Watched this on the plane going to Thailand last week. The movie was okay, and it stretched on a little too long, but there was a part where the main character's mom's friend told her about going to see Pink Lady when she and the mom were in high school said that Pink Lady was really popular back then like Morning Musume is now, which I thought was cool.

I watched six movies total during my flights, but I'm too lazy to write about them all.
esm

Favorite Idol: Reina, Eripon, Nakky

Postby erilaz » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:47 am

^ Hooray for her saying Morning Musume。 rather than AKB48! Though I guess this was because it was an older character saying it....

Fun facts: Pink Lady was the best-selling female group in Japan until Morning Musume。 surpassed their sales in 2007, and Mie from Pink Lady was a guest on the very first episode of Hello! Morning。
"Sometimes it seems as though the whole point of the Japanese writing system is to keep non-Japanese people from understanding what the hell is going on." — Dave Barry
erilaz
Lazarus

Postby erilaz » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:58 pm

Liane, die weiße Sklavin (1957, in the original German, without subtitles) — In the sequel to Liane, das Mädchen aus dem Urwald, the blonde jungle girl is abducted by Arab slave-traders.
erilaz
Lazarus

Postby Nayoko-Kihara » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:15 pm

Deliverance (1972)
This was the first in a random trio of movies that someone in the house recorded to the DVR, and I jumped in since I had easy access and had only heard good things. Unfortunately I only enjoyed Ronny Cox and the dueling banjos scene (which the internet had spoiled me on years ago anyway). The movie largely felt like a waste of my time.

A Patch of Blue (1965)
I loved this. I stayed up until 10 a.m. to finish it. I was enjoying the main characters enough that I was left wanting more story at the end, and I think I might revisit a couple of scenes tomorrow. Finding out afterward that Elizabeth Hartman went on to voice my beloved Mrs. Brisby in the Don Bluth "The Secret of NIMH" film was the cherry on top. This was the first live action film I've seen her in, and only my second Sidney Poitier film. I'll be running through both of their filmographies later tonight.
Nayoko-Kihara
Devoted Devotee

Postby erilaz » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:41 pm

I just saw a wonderful Japanese movie from 2009 called Fish Story (フィッシュストーリー). Jumping around, back and forth, among several characters' story lines spanning sixty years, it tells how an obscure Japanese punk rock song from 1975 saved the world from being annihilated by a comet in 2012. Highly recommended!

H!P moment! Two guys in a record store make a big deal about the fact that the rocket crew that is headed to destroy the comet has five members. But the other guy in the store says it's unimportant, since groups of five are not uncommon: "Finger 5 mo, Jackson 5 mo, saisho no Morning Musume。 mo...." But of course the subtitles totally suck: "There were the Jackson 5 and The Finger 5 and... They're all 5." :glare:
erilaz
Lazarus

Postby rikkikow » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:58 pm

The Best Offer (2013)

Reminded me of me and my JPOP collection. :lol: rikkikow watches my back.

trailer
Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.
Panda-san! Panda-san Power! Panda -san!
rikkikow

Postby Zunu » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:11 pm

Was it a good movie? The trailer looked interesting at first but then it seemed to go off in a ridiculous tangent.
tending to put ~ on song titles since 2002
Zunu
Pantaloon

Favorite Idol: 能登有沙

Postby rikkikow » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:38 pm

Zunu wrote:Was it a good movie? The trailer looked interesting at first but then it seemed to go off in a ridiculous tangent.

Just when you think the movie is over it gets real interesting. But one could see the end coming if one is in tune with their dark side. When things are too good to be true beware. It's a rikkikow type of movie if that's any help. XD
rikkikow

Postby rikkikow » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:20 am

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)
Why the world is so screwed right now.
Spoiler: show
Bring him back fast. This is better than the fricking movie! :lol:
https://youtu.be/pTuyfQ5CR4Q?t=4m57s
rikkikow

PreviousNext

Return to TALK: General Talk