Last movie you watched

Manga, Anime, Gaming, Sports, TV, Film

Moderators: Sohee, Moh

Re: Last movie you watched

Postby erilaz » Fri May 30, 2014 4:33 pm

Christiane F.: Wir Kinder vom Bahnhof Zoo — Ulrich Edel's 1981 film version of the true story of Christiane Felscherinow, who was turning tricks to support her heroin habit at the age of 14. The soundtrack is by David Bowie, who also appears in a concert scene in the film.

It's really grim stuff, of course, but it's an excellent (though abbreviated) adaptation of the book, which I read in the original German not long before I first saw the film, about ten years ago.
"Sometimes it seems as though the whole point of the Japanese writing system is to keep non-Japanese people from understanding what the hell is going on." — Dave Barry
erilaz
Lazarus

Favorite Idol: 矢口真里

Postby erilaz » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:48 am

At the San Francisco Silent Film Festival:

Cosmic Voyage (Космический рейс) (1936) — A Soviet sci-fi film about a trip to the moon, set in 1946, with wonderful art deco sets and some cool special effects using animation and miniatures. The film was aimed at children, but rocket scientist Konstantin Tsiolkovsky was consulted in order to make it as scientifically accurate as possible.

Dragnet Girl (非常線の女) (1933) — Who knew that Ozu Yasujirō, one of the most revered directors in the history of cinema, made a Hollywood-style gangster flick?
"Sometimes it seems as though the whole point of the Japanese writing system is to keep non-Japanese people from understanding what the hell is going on." — Dave Barry
erilaz
Lazarus

Postby erilaz » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:18 am

We Are the Best! (Vi är bäst!) (2013) — The latest from Lukas Moodysson, director of the similarly wonderful Show Me Love (Fucking Åmål). A couple of unpopular middle-school girls in 1982 Stockholm decide to form a punk-rock band. IT'S SO MUCH FUN!

"Hata sport! Hata sport! Hata hata hata sport!" :music:

erilaz
Lazarus

Postby erilaz » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:43 pm

Double Dare (2004) — An entertaining documentary about veteran stuntwoman Jeannie Epper (Lynda Carter's stunt double on Wonder Woman) and relative newcomer Zoë Bell (Lucy Lawless's stunt double on Xena). We get to follow along while Jeannie mentors Zoë as she auditions to become Uma Thurman's stunt double in Kill Bill.

Bonus points for Shonen Knife's "Top of the World" playing over the end credits!
erilaz
Lazarus

Postby erilaz » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:17 pm

Coffy — Jack Hill's 1973 blaxploitation classic. Pam Grier stars as a nurse who's out for revenge against the dope pushers who got her little sister hooked on smack.
erilaz
Lazarus

Postby rikkikow » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:13 pm

Ikiru
A black and white movie from 1952 about a post war Tokyo bureaucrat with terminal cancer
and his last months of life and funeral.

Dersu Uzala (1975 film)
A boring movie with a touching story. Winner of Academy Award foreign film.
Based on the memoirs of a Russian explorer in 1903 – 1910.
http://youtu.be/CdIQm91IF4U
Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.
Panda-san! Panda-san Power! Panda -san!
rikkikow

Postby erilaz » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:31 am

^ On a Kurosawa kick, I see! There are still a few of his that I haven't seen.

A Hard Day's Night — The Beatles' first (and best) film. Criterion just put out a new DVD/Blu-Ray combo edition, so that was something I had to buy. I still need to watch most of the extras.

Life Itself — The new documentary about Roger Ebert. Rated R because of some language and clips (with nudity) from Beyond the Valley of the Dolls, but a must-see for any aficionado of the cinema. :thumbs-up:
erilaz
Lazarus

Postby rikkikow » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:48 pm

erilaz wrote:^ On a Kurosawa kick, I see! There are still a few of his that I haven't seen.

Yeah.
Rashomon (1950)
http://youtu.be/xCZ9TguVOIA
It was so far over my head that I had to watch it over with the commentary on to see what all the fuss is about. Yeah, it’s something else alright.
It reminded me of the film Hero (2002) in that there were various realities told of the same story. The emperor figures out the truth himself in the end.
http://youtu.be/Sv64wuxjP4E

47 Ronin (2013)
Fantasy added to the famous true story.
Not what I expected, but still entertaining.
Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.
Panda-san! Panda-san Power! Panda -san!
rikkikow

Postby erilaz » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:25 pm

This weekend at the Japan Film Festival of San Francisco, three U.S. premieres:

Count Five To Dream Of You (5つ数えれば君の夢, 2014) — Drama in a girls' high school, starring TOKYO GIRLS' STYLE, who were there for Q&A after the film.

Kotodama: Spiritual Curse (学校の怪談 呪いの言霊, 2014) — High school horror, also starring TOKYO GIRLS' STYLE, who were back for more Q&A.

Why Don't You Play In Hell? (地獄でなぜ悪い, 2013) — Sono Shion's latest dose of cinematic insanity, about a group of amateur filmmakers called the Fuck Bombers, who get involved with a ten-year yakuza vendetta. I've never laughed so much at a yakuza film before.

erilaz
Lazarus

Postby esm » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:45 pm

The Immigrant (2013)
I'm already into immigration history, so I immediately watched this when I saw it on Netflix last night. It was a beautiful film. I loved it.

Julie & Julia
I watched this on the plane last week. It was nice and relaxing to watch. I liked the movie a lot.
esm

Favorite Idol: Reina, Eripon, Nakky

PreviousNext

Return to TALK: General Talk