Suzuki Airi thread - 4th album "28/29" [2024.03.20]

Morning Musume。'14, Berryz Kobo, ℃-ute, S/mileage, Juice=Juice, Hello!Project, TNX, and more

Moderator: Moh

Re: Suzuki Airi Thread - [6/6] Solo Debut Album "Do me a favor"

Postby Amped » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:17 am

Entame Magazine June issue

Suzuki Airi 1st live report preview
https://twitter.com/gekkan_entame/statu ... 9285551105
Amped
High Priest

Postby Amped » Wed May 02, 2018 5:34 pm

To promote Airi's new album, Ray magazine will be collaborating with Airi to open up a Suzuki Airi themed cafe "#DMAF CAFE" in Harajuku Area Q for a limited time.

AIRI SUZUKI presents #DMAF CAFE supported by Ray will be open for 17 days beginning 5/25 till 6/10.

Ray magazine is celebrating its 30th anniversary. In the cafe collaboration, there will be a Suzuki Airi Ray model exhibition. Also Airi's live outfits and photos will be on display. There will also be special menu drinks and food

the official site has more details and pics of the collab menu items.
http://www.areaq.jp/airisuzuki_dmafcafe/

This cafe is in the same space that also had the Morning Musume. 20th anniversary cafe.
Amped
High Priest

Postby Amped » Thu May 03, 2018 1:20 am

3 MVs for Airi's album

#DMAF (Promotion Edit)

start again (Promotion Edit)

DISTANCE (Promotion Edit)
Amped
High Priest

Postby Moh » Thu May 03, 2018 1:31 am

Man, Airi really does have the whole package. I'm not even gonna call her an idol anymore, cause at this point she's an artist. :lol:
Moh
Prophet

Favorite Idol: 鈴木愛理・段原瑠々・島倉りか・北原もも

Postby koregaboku » Thu May 03, 2018 6:30 am

^same.

Like, at this point, this is a self-esteem exercise for every other talent at UF* (especially H!P OGs) because no question about it Airi is getting the biggest push of any artist in recent memory from UF* and for an album, no less.

The resources poured into Airi's solo career easily surpasses that of any other (active) Berryz or C-ute member. The only OG that feels close is Sayu and although she's gotten comeback stage/album it still pales in comparison to the full fledged effort Airi's been given.

Like damn. I hope this turns out to be a (relative) success.

On another note- Airi referencing her experience in c-ute/buono to build her album feel appropriate without being carbon copies. I also appreciate that they hired professional dancers as opposed to using kenshuusei.
koregaboku
Psychic

Favorite Idol: Airiiiiii <3

Postby Zunu » Thu May 03, 2018 9:46 am

koregaboku wrote:The resources poured into Airi's solo career easily surpasses that of any other (active) Berryz or C-ute member.

Probably, but maybe by not as much as it may seem. I mean, with Miya they went and hired two full time group members to accompany her. Similarly, outside of HPK, Reina's got a whole group hired as her backing vehicle. Airi's still, as you say, solo, which means that the day to day costs to support her are lower, even if they did outlay a crapton for her PVs and other promo.

Plus I think we're in agreement that she totally deserves it. How many pro-level singers has H!P had, ever? Meaning with the power and voice control of a professional soloist. Ayaya, Linlin I suppose, Aichan on the cusp, Meimi...but not until after she quit really. And she has the beauty, charm, attitude to help her own cause. If Up-Front can't do something with Airi they should just forget about pushing solo artists, period.
tending to put ~ on song titles since 2002
Zunu
Pantaloon

Favorite Idol: 能登有沙

Postby Sohee » Thu May 03, 2018 12:31 pm

I think it helps that Airi has a clear vision of what she wants to do. I don't know about the rest of Berikyuu but Reina really didn't/doesn't. :lol:

Having that said.

Queeeeen Airi man. I'm so excited jfjfl
Sohee
Hierophant

Favorite Idol: Kamei Eri

Postby koregaboku » Fri May 04, 2018 3:58 am

Zunu wrote:Plus I think we're in agreement that she totally deserves it. How many pro-level singers has H!P had, ever? Meaning with the power and voice control of a professional soloist. Ayaya, Linlin I suppose, Aichan on the cusp, Meimi...but not until after she quit really. And she has the beauty, charm, attitude to help her own cause. If Up-Front can't do something with Airi they should just forget about pushing solo artists, period.

Oh absolutely in agreement. Although I would debate your point a little about her being a pro-level singer having anything to do with (it definitely doesn't hurt, but we've all seen singers debut... Who are nowhere even close to as good as Airi).

For me, I think it's that Airi has that totally intangible, unteachable, not-completely-describable "It/X-Factor." We've definitely seen glimmers of it in other H!P girls (Karin, Riho, Aichan come to mind) but noone who just oozes it in endless supply the way Airi does.

Also, I have thoughts on the PV and songs but haven't formed them yet. I shall be back.
koregaboku
Psychic

Favorite Idol: Airiiiiii <3

Postby aerosuffly » Fri May 04, 2018 7:44 am

I see it as UF is going all out to push Airi as their current era Ayaya (cough after they failed to push Reina cough), and, like everyone has said, they can only do it because she is a total package with a clear vision of what she wants to do. Didn't she do music management or composition for her degree at Keio? Plus, UF probably want to experiment on how to manage a solo artist in the current market because a few other current H!P members (Sakura, Karin, maybe Masaki) will probably want to go that route when they graduate.
aerosuffly
Minion

Postby Zunu » Fri May 04, 2018 11:57 am

One thing that will impress me about Airi forever, regardless of what happens with her debut, is how she behaved in the aftermath of SHOCK!, C-ute's single from 8 years ago. For those who don't remember, Airi was given "center" in this song, to an overwhelming extent. Although there had previously been other album solo cuts featuring Airi or other members, as a single, this song was basically her solo debut, with the rest of C-ute merely as backup.

Even back then, UF realized what they had on their hands with Airi. One can speculate that had this song been a smash, Airi might've been spun off as a soloist way back then. But that's not what happened, quite the opposite. The fans rebelled with their wallets; it was their lowest-selling major single up to that point, and led to a period of repeated low sales, the nadir of C-ute's career, until it was revived by "Jitensha." Anyway, UF apparently realized that the fans weren't ready for Airi to go solo or to become the main featured singer -- that wasn't what C-ute was about. Singles released after that were strongly ensemble-oriented.

And what did Airi do? She just slid right back into being one of the regular members, no pouting, no drama. She simply continued to give her all to C-ute as a group for seven more years until they disbanded. We've all seen how she eagerly and joyfully shared the spotlight, and continued to be kind to her bandmates and humble and self-effacing in public. From SHOCK!, she just patiently waited 8 years to debut, never once acting entitled or above the rest.
tending to put ~ on song titles since 2002
Zunu
Pantaloon

Favorite Idol: 能登有沙

PreviousNext

Return to Hello! Project