[3/8] Morning Musume. '17 63rd single - BRAND NEW MORNING / Jealousy Jealousy

Morning Musume。'14, Berryz Kobo, ℃-ute, S/mileage, Juice=Juice, Hello!Project, TNX, and more

Moderator: Moh

Re: [3/8] Morning Musume. '17 63rd single - BRAND NEW MORNING / Jealousy Jealousy

Postby CaptainBerryzGiraffe » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:37 am

Jessi wrote:If billboard sales go down I will care. I hate the new oricon rules. I think they are bogus.

not to get into this topic again, but they're not bogus, they just try to reflect actual sales-to-people as opposed to just "sales" - it's for a different audience- Oricon wants to show who is most popular, billboard wants to show who sold the most.
No Berryz, No Life.
Please people, I'm a "he" not a "she".
CaptainBerryzGiraffe
Devotee

Location: A giant crocodile-shaped island next to a huge apple
Favorite Idol: Cappy, Daaishi, Duu, Maho

Re: [3/8] Morning Musume. '17 63rd single - BRAND NEW MORNING / Jealousy Jealousy

Postby Amped » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:26 am

Amped wrote:Billboard Japan HOT 100 : Morning Musume. '17 @ #2
http://www.billboard-japan.com/charts/detail?a=hot100

ZIP! Morning news 3/15/17

media

As of November 2016, TV programs such as "ZIP!", "Mezamashi TV", "King's brunch", "Music station" are based on Japan Hot 100 "Billboard ranking" and "Billboard music ranking" , As a chart source for their rankings

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billboard_Japan_Hot_100

Nagoya BOMBER-E 3/15/17 - Morning Musume. '17 comment
Amped
High Priest

Favorite Idol: 工どう由愛

Postby Zunu » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:43 pm

Amped wrote:#25 on Oricon with new releases
http://www.oricon.co.jp/rank/js/d/2017-03-14/p/3/

Morning Musume. '17 Jealously Jealousy performance @ Ikebukuro Sunshine
https://youtu.be/R2fmN4r5ccY?t=10m13s

As a performer, Ayumi's really come into her own with this recent single. I used to always get the feeling she was trying too hard to prove herself to be as capable as Sayashi. Even after Riho left, it's felt like Ayumi's been under her shadow, saying, "look at me, am I doing it right?" But in this live performance; she's on fire. At the beginning she gives a moment of the old Daaishi smile, but from there she cuts loose. She stops thinking about pleasing the crowd, or being the best, or vanquishing her rivals. She's not thinking about anything -- she's just alive in the moment. Her movements are simultaneously crisp and free. She's not just performing moves; she's interpreting the song. Look how she gets really low right before popping up like a submerged buoy so she can "pump up." Look how uninhibitedly she swings her hips when they shout "girly."

Other points:
Reina's smile is adorably infectious. She looks like she's having so much fun swinging her "jealousy" hands.
Eripon's antennae are really on point.
The way Oda pronounces "jounetsu" is so cute.
tending to put ~ on song titles since 2002
Zunu
Pantaloon

Favorite Idol: 能登有沙

Postby Starra » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:00 pm

CaptainBerryzGiraffe wrote:
Jessi wrote:If billboard sales go down I will care. I hate the new oricon rules. I think they are bogus.

not to get into this topic again, but they're not bogus, they just try to reflect actual sales-to-people as opposed to just "sales" - it's for a different audience- Oricon wants to show who is most popular, billboard wants to show who sold the most.

But they don't include overseas orders of online CD shops, digital sales, etc. It's not a good indication. It just shows that X amount of people purchased a release under very strict circumstances.

It's not a true reflection of copies sold, and that's what a sales chart should indicate. When you look up how much a release sold, you shouldn't have to take varying factors of how the release was purchased etc into account.
中澤裕子紺野あさ美萩原舞金澤朋子山﨑愛生梁川奈々美加賀楓須藤茉麻田村芽実平井美葉清野桃々姫福田真琳松本わかな岸本ゆめの・松原ユリヤ♡
Starra
Prophet

Favorite Idol: Nakazawa Yuuko

Postby Celedam » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:22 pm

Take it to its logical conclusion: a "performance artist" releases a CD of various bodily noises, and one super-rich super-fan buys a million copies. Should that count?
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby JonCC » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:37 pm

A copy sold is a copy sold is a copy sold.
JonCC
Devotee

Favorite Idol: Sayashi Riho

Postby Amped » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:37 pm

Amped
High Priest

Favorite Idol: 工どう由愛

Postby CaptainBerryzGiraffe » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:32 am

JonCC wrote:A copy sold is a copy sold is a copy sold.

Yes, but Oricon's not trying to reflect a copy sold- they're trying to reflect the Japanese popularity of something. It may not be 100% perfect, but the logic behind what they're doing makes sense, you can at least give them that. On the other hand, billboard just checks copies sold, which is what you want.
No Berryz, No Life.
Please people, I'm a "he" not a "she".
CaptainBerryzGiraffe
Devotee

Location: A giant crocodile-shaped island next to a huge apple
Favorite Idol: Cappy, Daaishi, Duu, Maho

Postby JonCC » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:48 am

Regardless: if you look at what Billboard (as a whole) tracks, it offers a far better view of what's popular in Japan:

From the chart's inception in 2008, to December 2010, the chart combined CD single sales data from SoundScan Japan, tracking sales at physical stores across Japan, and radio airplay figures from Japan's then 32 AM and FM radio stations sourced from the Japanese company Plantech.

In December 2010, the chart was expanded to include sales from online stores, as well as sales from iTunes Japan.

From December 2013, Billboard added two additional factors to the Billboard Japan Hot 100 chart: tweets relating to songs from Twitter data collected by NTT DATA, as well as data sourced from Gracenote on the number of times a CDs has been registered as being inserted into a computer.

From December 7, 2016 onwards, Billboard Japan teamed up with GfK Japan to distribute digital sales of each track on the Hot 100 chart (between the positions of number one to number 50) to the public. The companies will distribute the sales from over 3,900 digital stores nationwide, alongside streaming services with Apple Music, Awa and Line Music, which will commence in 2017 and will be recognised as points (similar to album-equivalent sales).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billboard_Japan_Hot_100

Whereas Oricon:
Chart rankings are based on physical singles' sales. Oricon does not include download sales. In Japan, physical sales decreased sharply in the 2000s, while download sales hit three to four times the amount of single sales.

Every Monday, Oricon receives data from outlets, but data on merchandise sold through certain channels does not make it into the charts. Oricon’s rankings of record sales are therefore not completely accurate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oricon_Singles_Chart

The Billboard Japan Hot 100 offers a far more rounded and diverse view on a groups performance, sales and popularity.
JonCC
Devotee

Favorite Idol: Sayashi Riho

Postby Denki » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:08 am

I guess Oricon should change it from "56879 copies sold" to "56879 people bought at least 1 physical copy of the single."
Denki

Favorite Idol: えりぽん

PreviousNext

Return to Hello! Project