[3/8] Morning Musume. '17 63rd single - BRAND NEW MORNING / Jealousy Jealousy

Morning Musume。'14, Berryz Kobo, ℃-ute, S/mileage, Juice=Juice, Hello!Project, TNX, and more

Moderator: Moh

Re: [3/8] Morning Musume. '17 : BRAND NEW MORNING / Jealousy Jealousy (63rd single)

Postby 321BreakinOut » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:59 am

Watching this I honestly thought to myself "Wow Riho and Kanon would have rocked this so hard" but alas life happens. I've never been worried as a fan when the line-up changes and 13th gen in one video has already been a huge improvement compared to what 12th gen has been offering, so I can't wait to see more.

EDIT: not a hate post against 12th gen, just an observation!
321BreakinOut
Devotee

Re: [3/8] Morning Musume. '17 : BRAND NEW MORNING / Jealousy Jealousy (63rd single)

Postby Zunu » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:29 am

I'll keep saying this but Kaedy's just ridiculously pro. If I didn't know MM's membership and someone was like, "This girl here is the group captain," I wouldn't even bat an eyelash if they pointed at her.
Duu's grown up so much. I think she's physically changed the most out of the girls. Ayumi of course the least.
Reina's solo line sounded kind of amateurish just listening to the audio, but in terms of the video it calls attention to her being a fresh young face. It works.
The speak-singing portion ("kanjitai" etc.) sounds so much better than straight-up rap, just sayin, sorry JelJel.
tending to put ~ on song titles since 2002
Zunu
Pantaloon

Favorite Idol: 能登有沙

Postby AyuHikaru » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:57 am

CaptainBerryzGiraffe wrote:THAT WAS <3
Ok ok ok my only real complaint is: Haruna + Miki?! Who's idea was that?? Their voices really don't mesh well. lol

I thought the opposite, they sounded really good together. Miki helped balance out Harunan's rougher singing and Harunans lower tone sounded lovely against Miki's.

1. Eripon really stuck to her word about getting better at singing. She sounds completely different than she did even 2 years ago.
2. Reina redeemed herself with her second solo, it didn't sound as shaky and was pretty decent. She sounds JUST like Zukki though and it's throwing me off. She also had some VERY Kame vibes in some of those shots. She makes me miss Kame so much, but somehow it's endearing me to her.
3. Kaede's line was great, all she needs to do is learn a vibrato and that girl is set. It's really hard not to like Kaede knowing her story. I just find my eye going right to her and tearing up. Someone needs to make her story a Drama lol. Kaede is also really charismatic in front of the camera wow. Her and Reina BOTH ARE.
4. Overall 13th Gen is... interesting. I feel like this is the first time UF* went for people who were polished, ready to go, and talented. Yeah there was always a few smattered in there, but they usual picked girls who would grow into talent. While Kaede and Reina still have a lot of growing to do vocally (Their dancing is really good already) and Reina still needs to work on her expression, they are RIGHT out the gate skilled performers. They really came in that a punch in the gut with this song, just taking the wind right out of your lungs. Watching that I knew I was looking at two girls who will probably change the game and create a paradigm shift. They are... really strong. Ridiculously so. I have to wonder if this is an experiment of UF" - if the fans accept already polished girls, we may see way more in the future.
5. Regardless, it was sad to see the only 12th Gen member pushed this song was Miki. I feel like UF doesn't know whether to push Miki (The most talented singer in 12th and high in ranking overall) or Maria (Looks pretty in the center, has more variety charisma). They just need to double down and promote both of them at the same time, instead of switching every single. Miki is never going to be a visual center (I'm not saying she's not pretty, I think she's cute as hell) and Maria is never going to be the best singer but promoting both of them at the same time will get the best of both worlds (Hannah Montana reference for Miki). I'll have to see what happens for Jealousy Jealousy, cuz I'd like to see Miki sing and Maria still propped up in the middle somewhere. I agree with UF's decision to not really push Haachin and Akane yet (sorry!) I don't think they're as ready as the other two. Give them a year and see where they are. Haachin really needs an Akane moment like from the last single though, give her something!

I'm am super interesting in seeing where MM goes this year because it feels like the winds of change are blowing. Are we looking at another named era? Did we stop doing those because of the numbers at the end? I dunno.
Last edited by AyuHikaru on Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
AyuHikaru
Devotee

Favorite Idol: Harunan, Murotan

Postby coconuts » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:57 am

12th gen who? UF did a good job at making 13th gen the focal point especially Reina.

Zunu wrote:The speak-singing portion ("kanjitai" etc.) sounds so much better than straight-up rap, just sayin, sorry JelJel.

I think that's the one part I didn't like. I like the rap in Jealousy Jealousy.
coconuts
Acolyte

Favorite Idol: あーりー, はーちん

Postby Zunu » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:03 am

It's good to see both songs getting support, then!
tending to put ~ on song titles since 2002
Zunu
Pantaloon

Favorite Idol: 能登有沙

Postby Mirai » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:13 am

Oh man, I love everything about this single! BRAND NEW MORNING is perfection, and everyone sounds great (and Eripon!!).
Mirai
Minion

Favorite Idol: Ai Takahashi

Postby AyuHikaru » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:18 am

Watch Kaede's legs when she's in the front for that "Brand new morning" part of the dance in the chorus, then watch everyone in that line except Ayumi (Since Ayumi does the same thing). When she sticks out her right leg, her left knee goes out - making the dance move look more fluid and way cooler. That is a hard move to pull off (which is why the other girls aren't doing it) it requires more skill and balance then just sticking your right leg out. The fact Kaede can match Ayumi's moves exactly is impressive. Hella impressive.
AyuHikaru
Devotee

Favorite Idol: Harunan, Murotan

Postby CaptainBerryzGiraffe » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:22 am

AyuHikaru wrote:
Ok ok ok my only real complaint is: Haruna + Miki?! Who's idea was that?? Their voices really don't mesh well. lol

I thought the opposite, they sounded really good together. Miki helped balance out Harunan's rougher singing and Harunans lower tone sounded lovely against Miki's.

Personally their voices seemed quite clashing to me, but I guess different people hear things in different ways :o Especially coming off of haruka/sakura which blend perfectly, the latter sound a bit less together, idk. :o

I always wonder how they pair people like that. Is it they just take the recordings and look for which sounded best in that recording and give the solo/duet to that person? Or do they know in advance?
No Berryz, No Life.
Please people, I'm a "he" not a "she".
CaptainBerryzGiraffe
Devotee

Location: A giant crocodile-shaped island next to a huge apple
Favorite Idol: Cappy, Daaishi, Duu, Maho

Postby resop2 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:40 am

CaptainBerryzGiraffe wrote:
AyuHikaru wrote:

Personally their voices seemed quite clashing to me, but I guess different people hear things in different ways :o Especially coming off of haruka/sakura which blend perfectly, the latter sound a bit less together, idk. :o

I always wonder how they pair people like that. Is it they just take the recordings and look for which sounded best in that recording and give the solo/duet to that person? Or do they know in advance?

From http://wotaintranslation.com/2016/12/21/hello-project-complete-album-book-roundtables-the-recording-directors/

Kamata: When the lines are split, they’re often split in categories such as the “unison team” and the “truly talented team.” But Michishige goes into the “rhythm team.” She’s there to support the rhythm. We pair her up with girls who aren’t so great with rhythm — Tsunku♂ really trusts her in that sense. It’s not like Kamei was a perfect singer or anything either. She was the same type. Meanwhile, Tanaka is generally thought of as a good singer, but that’s only because she truly practices that hard.
resop2
Skeptic

Postby Solarblade » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:52 am

Wait really? For me I thought Sakura/Haruka was pretty warbly in comparison to Miki/Harunan
Solarblade
Acolyte

Favorite Idol: Aarii/Zukki

PreviousNext

Return to Hello! Project