"THE BIG CHANCE" audition to direct a Morning Musume. '15 MV - Winning MV director has been chosen

Morning Musume。'14, Berryz Kobo, ℃-ute, S/mileage, Juice=Juice, Hello!Project, TNX, and more

Moderator: Moh

Re: "THE BIG CHANCE" audition to direct a Morning Musume. '15 MV - Winning MV director has been chosen

Postby stam4o » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:16 am

BerryzCelebration wrote:I mean, it was a demo MV. The point of it wasn't to the new updated MV for Wagamama and get the "feel" of the lyrics and what not. The point was for three different directors to show their artistic style, and show their different interpretations on an MV. And whoever's MV was liked the most, won. It's not like one of these MVs are going to actually be used for an updated Wagamama. It was just a contest.

That's obviously true, but there's also the factor that it's more important that the director has to be able to become accustomed to the group, while still giving expression to his own ideas, and not so much on the contrary. After all, it's the group who has the group style, and directors' artistic abilities also include adaptation, which is still something to take in count, especially in a contest. Versatility is important, and actually not only in "art", but probably in almost every other principal field too.
stam4o
Minion

Favorite Idol: Akari,Sayumi,Maachan,Riho

Re: "THE BIG CHANCE" audition to direct a Morning Musume. '15 MV - Winning MV director has been chosen

Postby BerryzCelebration » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:28 am

stam4o wrote:
BerryzCelebration wrote:I mean, it was a demo MV. The point of it wasn't to the new updated MV for Wagamama and get the "feel" of the lyrics and what not. The point was for three different directors to show their artistic style, and show their different interpretations on an MV. And whoever's MV was liked the most, won. It's not like one of these MVs are going to actually be used for an updated Wagamama. It was just a contest.

That's obviously true, but there's also the factor that it's more important that the director has to be able to become accustomed to the group, while still giving expression to his own ideas, and not so much on the contrary. After all, it's the group who has the group style, and directors' artistic abilities also include adaptation, which is still something to take in count, especially in a contest. Versatility is important, and actually not only in "art", but probably in almost every other principal field too.

At the end of the day, they're still just 2 minute demo MVs which were entries for the contest. They weren't looking for a completely makeover of Wagamama. They were just looking to see what each director was capable in doing for a Morning Musume MV, and having the fans vote on which one they thought was best. Each entry is a different point of view on the song and it's art direction itself. People are going to have different points of view, especially when it comes to this stuff. You can tell because all three MVs are completely different, and compared to the original 2013 MV, they're nothing like it.
BerryzCelebration

Favorite Idol: Mikitty/Chinami

Postby Solarblade » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:55 am

To be honest i thought blue and green lacked cohesiveness and appropriate visual taste in my opinion, you give them an EDM song and having a greyscale rainshot and close ups with sunlight on a rooftop and neither suited the energy the song has to make them work...then again the red was wacky enough to fit an idol billing but lacked the smoothness of transitions....though i guess it is workable over the main PV Wagamama got (simple closeups and dance shot)
Solarblade
Acolyte

Favorite Idol: Aarii/Zukki

Postby Amped » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:34 am

Mizuki
Did you see it?
On FujiTV’s 『THE Big Chance』, Harunan and I, the two of us appeared live

On the broadcast we got to see the music videos we shot before hand with the finalists, and the viewers voted on who would be the MV director for Morning Musume。’15’s next song! And with that said…

They decided on RED’s Shibue Shuhei-sanーーー!!!

Morning Musume。’14 in a 「Last Supper」 presentation
On the surface we’re having fun and being good friends but behind the scenes we’re fighting! I hear that’s the message in it.
We’re good friends but with rival hearts an exact setup, more so 「Wagamama Ki no Mama Ai no Joke」’s rhythm and choreography and things matched what was going on too, it was fun!

BLUE Sugiyama Hiroki-san’s product, we shot it in good scenery on the top of the studio, wearing white outfits so it had the exact opposite image of the original MV shoot!
Eye and mouth shots and stuff, it felt like one where you reaーlly know the members, it was done really cute♪

GREEN Kouno Emi-san’s product, it was our first time doing dancing and lip-scenes while getting wet from rain, it was very fun, it felt like the kind of MVs we’ve been doing up to now!
There were more good scenes in pretty monotone, I really liked the face slap part!

It was unfortunate that we had to bring it down to one (TДT )

Everyone who voted
everyone who watched
thank you so very much

The new song & MV, we’re looking forward to it too!

http://nantonaku.mittsi.net/?p=53266
Amped
High Priest

Postby Foni Moni » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:19 pm

Yattaruchan wrote:
AyuHikaru wrote:
Yattaruchan wrote:I'm surprised most of the people here keep going on about how good the imagery, like the rain, but don't have any issues with the absolutely atrocious editing in tne Blue/Green videos. The Red one has it's own pacing issues, bur at least it wasn't the complete mess of tne other two, especially blue.

I thought the quick, frantic editing of Green was really really interesting, even if it probably gave the video a more creepy vibe then she was intending.

Each to their own, but I'm still surprised so many people accept it, let alone like it!

For me, quick edits like that I've never liked, and the stuttering, aghh. I do like some of the water shots, but just the way it's all put together doesn't sit well with me. Also, I'm sure the only reason green had "sexy" shots was because the director was female and she knew she could get away with it more then a male director contestant could, and try to use it to her advantage, which for me, is another strike against the video. I like sexy Musume as much as the next person, but there is a time and place for that. Not here.

And like someone here said, I also appreciate the official H!P MVs more after seeing those.

No effect is always good or always bad. Quick edits and stutter effects can be effective in the right context, and both effects in this particular case were quite effective given the style of the music, IMO.

The biggest problem I had with the green video -- aside from the cliche-ridden foundation it's built upon -- is the excess use of solo shots with no singing. That style might fit an indie-rock or folk video, but not so much an EDM idol PV. Without an obvious narrative (as in the Red video) shots like those seem too detached from the music they are supporting.
Foni Moni
Senior Initiate

Postby Yattaruchan » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:07 pm

Yes, they can be okay (maybe even good) in the right context, but I really don't feel it here. For me, it just comes across as using it for the sake of using it, and that's never good. And kinda like what others here have said, kinda, this just comes across as trying to copy a generic MV, and not understanding how to cut it properly. Too many people use quick cuts/stutter/ect just to mask short comings in other areas. I know it's for a music video and not a film, standards need to be kept.
Yattaruchan
Acolyte

Favorite Idol: Eri Kamei

Postby Amped » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:35 pm

director Shibue says thank you for the messages about his MV
https://twitter.com/SHIBUE_SHUHEI/statu ... 0887425025
Amped
High Priest

Postby otaku_blue » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:59 pm

^

he's also directly responding to International fans congratulatory messages on his tumblr in english.

Thank you for sending me the message from Netherlands.
It made me happy. I am going to challenge to new visual for next Morning Musume.’15 video.
Please don’t go anywhere and wait the good video.

And your site is so cool.

http://shuheishibue.tumblr.com/

lol.
otaku_blue
Devotee

Postby forgetmenots » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:08 am

It must be really awesome for him to experience the foreign fanbase so directly. It's one thing to deal with a thing well known in your own country, but then to get messages from all over the world as well. Must be quite the rush. I wish him luck and hope his MV is amazing.
forgetmenots
Queen of All Banners

Favorite Idol: Maachan, Nonaka, Oda

Postby aerosuffly » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:01 pm

Well, he gotta be excited since he knows that his video will be watched million of times on Youtube.
aerosuffly
Minion

PreviousNext

Return to Hello! Project