"THE BIG CHANCE" audition to direct a Morning Musume. '15 MV - Winning MV director has been chosen

Morning Musume。'14, Berryz Kobo, ℃-ute, S/mileage, Juice=Juice, Hello!Project, TNX, and more

Moderator: Moh

Re: "THE BIG CHANCE" audition to direct a Morning Musume. '15 MV - Winning MV director has been chosen

Postby Denki » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:13 am

I think a Maji desuka ska or Mikan type single to show of 12ki with that director would be really great.
Denki

Favorite Idol: えりぽん

Re: "THE BIG CHANCE" audition to direct a Morning Musume. '15 MV - Winning MV director has been chosen

Postby BerryzCelebration » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:14 pm

Well based on Red's past material and his Wagamama MV, it seems like he's either really good with edgier, rock-ish stuff or cute, fun, weird idol-y stuff.

So maybe we'll get a song that fits into one of those categories for the MV?
BerryzCelebration

Favorite Idol: Mikitty/Chinami

Postby Yattaruchan » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:20 pm

Honestly, didn't like the blue or green MVs at all. Particularly the editing in both and the close ups in blue. The music scene can do without that kind of stuff.
Red was interesting, not really what I'd want to see in an official MV, but at least it was fun. Wierd, but fun.
Yattaruchan
Acolyte

Favorite Idol: Eri Kamei

Postby Amped » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:51 pm

Amped
High Priest

Postby CaptainBerryzGiraffe » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:54 pm

I personally thought that, though the other two we nice, the red was probably the best because it was innovative... the other two were more along the lines of your normal MV...
I'm just gonna wait for the next single's MV's now. :P
No Berryz, No Life.
Please people, I'm a "he" not a "she".
CaptainBerryzGiraffe
Devotee

Location: A giant crocodile-shaped island next to a huge apple
Favorite Idol: Cappy, Daaishi, Duu, Maho

Postby koregaboku » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:05 pm

I agree with how the votes went.

Blue didn't stand out enough and I feel like whatever directors H!P has been using could've done that.
Red was weird and cool, although there were moments I didn't really get.
Green was actually really nice but a lot like Blue, it didn't really seem that spectacular. The rain was definitely better done than in Kanashiki Amefuri though. Lol.

My only concern about the Red director is that it may have been a little gimmicky. If he manages to do something innovative that feels genuine I'll be impressed but I could see a couple wrong decisions making the new MV seem gimmicky/cheap/tacky.
koregaboku
Psychic

Favorite Idol: Airiiiiii <3

Postby avanpiper » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:28 pm

I agree that none of the MVs carry the spirit of the original Wagamama, dance heavy and EDM oriented but to be honest, I'm all for fresh new stuffs instead of the same old routine. We have dance shots if we want to see them dance, that's what it's for. I want something different, something that the girls can do other than just dance and some close-up shots. I want some acting as well, some storyline/plot and I won't mind if the plot is redundant or random like what Red did. I thought it was innovative and a nice change of pace. The first Last Supper shot reminded me of Ayu-esque PVs in the past where she'd do something controversial or just plain weird (which is closer to Japanese culture than we think). I think Red deserves the win but I won't put down the rest.

I like that indie-vibe we're getting from Blue, he's captured some great angles, playing with sunlight, tints and nice close-ups too. It feels less polished of course compared to the rest however and not much going on and he did say he just wanted to capture the current cute-ness of the group (which is fine but depending on how MM '15 is gonna shape up their style/image, MM '14 is definitely not cute, more of fierce and cool image). Green's MV is quite surprising in that she went for the slight yuri-ness concept, while I'm not a huge fan of though I have to say some of the girls were really on-point with their expressions, notably Ayumi-Duu pair and Erina-Iikubo, I don't think I've seen them made those kind of facial expressions before so that's new. My vote still goes to Red at the end of the day. I hope he'll give us something really refreshing for MM '15's first video :happy: But maybe with less CG would be nicer.
avanpiper
Acolyte

Postby Nayoko-Kihara » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:00 pm

I only liked parts of the Red video, very few of them, so this is a little disappointing. I do hope whatever concept he comes up with for the actual single is less... whatever this was.
Nayoko-Kihara
Devoted Devotee

Postby Zunu » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:09 pm

Blue made me think of Say Shoo 'n Corrections. There were some really lovely closeups.
Green reminded me of Shabondama a bit.
Red was amazing. I feel like WKNMANJ would've sold a good 40,50k more with that as a PV. Also Haruna looked really good.

I enjoyed them all though.
tending to put ~ on song titles since 2002
Zunu
Pantaloon

Favorite Idol: 能登有沙

Postby otaku_blue » Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:46 pm

I agree that I would've enjoyed Red more if it was more appropriate for the song and MM, although i enjoyed the interpretation.

But looking at his past works, the CGI looks like a rehash of his previous works that he worked into his submission. So it comes off as to me that he decided to showcase his skill, rather than choosing something appropriate to the song, and therefore making something so nonsensical but "unique" video.

I still think Green was the best in terms of appropriateness, and I could imagine HP doing something like that in the future, but the downfall to the video was just the editing. Generally the video looked laggy as well, was there a rendering fail? I really enjoyed the image scenes, everyone had the right expressions, especially Ayumi.
otaku_blue
Devotee

PreviousNext

Return to Hello! Project