Random Thread ~The Duck Saga Pt. 17~

Morning Musume。'14, Berryz Kobo, ℃-ute, S/mileage, Juice=Juice, Hello!Project, TNX, and more

Moderator: Moh

Re: Random Thread ~The Duck Saga Pt. 17~

Postby resop2 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:02 am

Celedam wrote:You can get pretty much any cable or adapter at Monoprice.

I ordered a new cable from monoprice. Fingers crossed that this will solve the problem. If not, then I am up a creek since all of the other VHS->MP4 solutions out there fail miserably if there are audio dropouts in the VHS tape (which would be all tapes after a certain number of years).
resop2
Skeptic

Postby CaptainBerryzGiraffe » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:50 pm

basically what happened was my friend brought over a bottle of OJ that he mixed with vodka (yanno, screwdriver) and then one of the sushi chefs stuck a bunch of whiskey into the cup as well.
So, i learned my lesson. lol
Same way I've learned everything else... through dumb mistakes. yay life!
No Berryz, No Life.
Please people, I'm a "he" not a "she".
CaptainBerryzGiraffe
Devotee

Location: A giant crocodile-shaped island next to a huge apple
Favorite Idol: Cappy, Daaishi, Duu, Maho

Postby Shoujo Q » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:44 pm

In High School my friends and I use to buy soda and mix them together to make super soda. Looking back now, probably a crazy idea. It tasted alright I guess? I always had a knack for making things taste good.

If I wasn't so introverted I think I would make an awesome cocktail maker/mixologist. I'm pretty good when it comes to mixing alcohol and other things. I've recreated a few drinks I've had out in restaurants, at home. It's my special little gift. XD
Shoujo Q

Favorite Idol: Suu-san

Postby Celedam » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:53 pm

^ Whenever a restaurant has a self-serve soda machine, I mix lemon-lime and cola.

It gets a bit more complicated with the new machines I've encountered at some Burger Kings...

Since everything comes out of the same nozzle, everything ends up tasting like Dr. Pepper.
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby Nayoko-Kihara » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:09 pm

^ Everything ends up with a hint of cherry flavoring at the BK's around here.

On the rare occasion I drink soda I always go with Sprite, and those Burger King machines have ruined me on cherry Sprite.
Nayoko-Kihara
Devotee

Postby Celedam » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:41 pm

Dr. Pepper tastes like cherry-flavored cough syrup to me, so I imagine we're tasting the same thing. That's the power of Dr. Pepper.
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby esm » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:37 am

If I'm getting soda, I always go for root beer. Vanilla root beer, if it's available.
esm
Devotee

Favorite Idol: Reina, Eripon, Nakky

Postby TotallyUncool » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:03 am

I go for lots of caffeine/no sugar, but mostly unsweetened iced tea, or cold water.
For a while at work, I was mixing Coke Zero and Redline - then I realized that if I just wanted to kill myself with Redline, I didn't need the Coke Zero. XD
If madness made us strong, we would all be invincible.
TotallyUncool
#Member

Location: Gaslighting myself, but then again, I would do that, wouldn't I?
Favorite Idol: Siao Fongfong '66

Postby Shoujo Q » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:13 am

I always mix the fruit drinks with the sparkling water and lime. In those new Coca Cola machines. Hack soda minus the extra sugar.
Shoujo Q

Postby TotallyUncool » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:08 am

The new Coke machines remind me a bit of the coffee machines in college -- coffee, hot cocoa, tea, and chicken soup all came out of the same nozzle, so whatever the last person had would get mixed in with your drink. :wacko:
TotallyUncool
#Member

Postby erilaz » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:57 am

Celedam wrote:^ Whenever a restaurant has a self-serve soda machine, I mix lemon-lime and cola.

That's my usual. Or else cola with an infusion of orange soda. When I was a kid, I'd make what we called a "suicide," which was everything mixed together.

The first time I went to Germany, I discovered Spezi, which is equal parts cola and orange soda. Ordering a Coke or a Fanta in a German restaurant, you'd get 200ml, the contents of a single small bottle, sometimes in the bottle. The added benefit of ordering a Spezi was that you got twice as much, and IIRC it was less than twice the price. That's a big deal, since soda is surprisingly expensive in Germany (beer is cheaper), and there are no free refills. (You won't get a free glass of water with your meal, either. If you want water, you buy mineral water. Ask for tap water, and they'll look at you as if you're insane.)
"Experience in the acquisition of European languages can help you to learn Japanese about as much as it could help you to acquire the language spoken by the inhabitants of Mars." — Lafcadio Hearn
erilaz

Favorite Idol: 矢口真里

Postby boinsie » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:16 am

Dr Pepper in a can is probably my favorite soda. If I'm hitting up a the fountain machines, Barq's root beer + a little orange soda. :heart:
boinsie
Guru

Postby Shoujo Q » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:16 am

I always do a bit of a squirt into the reservoir before filling my drink cup.
Shoujo Q

Postby resop2 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:52 am

This has been a bad week for me in terms of olde technology. Now, the disk reader for my PS2 has gotten out of alignment. I think it is time to buy a used one.
resop2
Skeptic

Postby Denki » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:41 am

I used to mix sodas as a child. My parents used to scold me whenever I did. When I the Coke Freestyle machines, I usually get Sprite Zero and add one of the flavors they have. I don't go inside fast food restaurants, so I don't utilize it anymore.

I sorta do it at home. A can of Sprite Zero and a pump or two of sf raspberry torani. I also do it with Mountain Dew.
モーニング娘。'16 ☆ アンジュルム ☆ カントリー・ガールズ ☆ つばきファクトリー
☆ 生田衣梨奈・羽賀朱音 ・横山玲奈・牧野真莉愛 ☆ 佐々木莉佳子・笠原桃奈 ☆
☆ 梁川奈々美 ☆ 和田桜子 ☆ 新沼希空・小野田紗栞 ☆ 山崎夢羽 ☆
Denki
Devotee

Favorite Idol: えりぽん

Postby TotallyUncool » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:20 pm

Since I'm not that big on soft drinks, I guess the equivalent for me would be mixing coffee and tea, then adding semi-random spices, which I started doing when I was a kid. Most of the things I've added more or less make sense, like ginger root, cardomom, pepper, or galangal, but over the years, I've also tried some things like bay leaf and dried bell pepper, both of which are a bit wtf. XD
TotallyUncool
#Member

Postby resop2 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:13 am

resop2 wrote:More random tech problems: I have a digitizer box that I have been using to convert VHS tapes to MP4's. Today when I fired it up I got a funny squiggly pattern on the monitor screen on the software. The video from the VCR is fine on the TV but seems to degrade when sent through the box to the computer. I am wondering if the cable from the box to the computer is bad (firewire six pin to six pin) or if the box has finally bit the dust. Is it possible to still get firewire cable?

I was able to solve the problem. The culprit was not my digitizer box or the firewire cable, it was the AC adapter for the computer! I swapped it out with a spare and the problem went away.
resop2
Skeptic

Postby TotallyUncool » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:21 pm

It seems like you can find a knockoff version of just about any power supply or remote control for a good price online these days, which I like, because I have a not-so-sensible tendency to buy just about any interesting-looking piece of obsolete technology if i find it for a low enough price at a thrift shop. :fear:

Which reminds me - after the knockoff remote for the 2009 Acer VGA projector that I picked up in a thrift shop a while go came in the mail, I dug my Sansa TakeTV video server device (a Big Lots acquisition from around 2007) out of the garage and tried it out -- and it works with the projector (yay - minutes of useless/pointless fun! XD ).

And the TakeTV USB storage device was full of videos that I'd loaded on to it in 2007 and 2009 - kind of a time capsule of my obsessive preoccupations taste at the time:
Spoiler: show
04 - Shiroi Hana.avi
06 - Boku no Tegami.avi
07 - Yume no Kakera.avi
09 - Sae Zuri.avi
10 - Rockin'.avi
13 - True Blue.avi
14 - Taiyo no Kiss.avi
15 - HANABI - Kimi ga Ita Natsu.avi
16 - instrumental.avi
17 - Akashi.avi
20 - Egao Biyori.avi
23 - Glory Colors - Kaze no Tobira.avi
25 - Sotsugyo.avi
Cherry Filter -- The Flying Duck Live.avi
Cpop - girl with bangs and cat.avi
fongfong - ballad video.avi
fongfong - something like wang nu xing_.avi
fongfong 1962 very trad good hq.avi
johhny_kidd_shakin_all_over_josephine_siao___________.avi
Josephine_Siao_Fongfong_____Searchers_Love_Potion_No_9.avi
josephine_siao_movie_4_4_xmas_dance_song_.avi
Matsuura Aya - 100Kai no KISS.avi
my tam - bang bang version.avi
my tam bang bang pv.avi
My_Tam_-_Khi_Xua_Ta_Be_(Bang_Bang).avi
Nagase Miyu - Amazing Grace.avi
Nagase Miyu - Key ~Yume kara Samete~.avi
palmy - yark rong dunk dunk live.avi
Park Ji Yoon - I'm A Man.avi
Park Ji Yoon - Sung In Shik ([V] Korea Channel).avi
Sakura mankai main.avi
Salt5 - GET UP! Rapper ( Hello! Project 2003 Natsu - Yossha! Bikkuri Summer!!).avi
SCANDAL - Don't say lazy (2009.08.16 Music Japan Anime Song SP).avi
SHE 1.avi
siao fongfong very trad .avi
siao fongfong_196x_.avi
Sotsugyo PV.avi
SweetS - Love Raspberry Juice.avi
Takayo - Blue Star PV.avi
Takayo - My Best Friends PV.avi
YeLLOW Generation - Tobira no Mukou he.avi
ZONE - H.A.N.A.B.I ~Kimi Ga Ita Natsu~.avi
ZONE - Shiroi Hana.avi
TotallyUncool
#Member

Postby Celedam » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:23 am

I finally tried LaCroix water, and nope, I don't like it. I've never liked plain carbonated water (e.g., seltzer, club soda); it tastes salty or metallic to me. I know I'm actually tasting the carbonic acid that's formed by carbonation, but still. I don't know why I thought slightly flavored carbonated water might be different.

Anyhow, this happened because for various reasons I've made a hard push to clean out my refrigerator and cupboards and use up stockpiled foods. That leaves me open to trying new things and even new stores. I live in a gentrified college town with several up-market grocery stores and specialty shops near me, so I thought I should at least see what they have to offer. I'm still trying to navigate the insane prices and obvious fads designed to appeal to people who live in a gentrified college town, because I know there is some genuinely good stuff out there as well. The alternative is to go back to the good ol' superstore and stock up again on familiar, easy-to-prepare, not-necessarily-good-for-me convenience foods. Dilemma.

The fact that it's August doesn't help either. If I use the oven, I'll use more air conditioning and run up my electricity bill. (This has been an exceptionally cool summer so far, but it still gets up to the low to mid 80s most days.) So I'm limited to things I can prepare on the stovetop.
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby esm » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:26 am

It took me a while to like LaCroix. I went from not even wanting to finish it because I really couldn't stand it to drinking it regularly. I like the mango, passion fruit, and apricot ones far more than any other flavors though. I haven't bought any in a while because I'm just drinking filtered tap water to save money. My favorite brand of sparkling water is DRY, but it's kind of pricey so I'd only get it as a treat every once in a while.
esm
Devotee

Favorite Idol: Reina, Eripon, Nakky

PreviousNext

Return to Hello! Project