Random Thread ~The Duck Saga Pt. 17~

Morning Musume。'14, Berryz Kobo, ℃-ute, S/mileage, Juice=Juice, Hello!Project, TNX, and more

Moderator: Moh

Re: Random Thread ~The Duck Saga Pt. 17~

Postby esm » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:33 am

I've been working out every morning for two weeks now. I started running on the treadmill, and despite never being able to run very well at all my entire life, a mile within 10 minutes or so is pretty doable now, so I want to do at least that regularly and then train myself to do more.

I also went to yoga a few days ago for the first time in 4 years. It's nice to get back to it, and I went with a friend who does it regularly so hopefully we can help motivate each other to go every week.
esm
Devotee

Favorite Idol: Reina, Eripon, Nakky

Postby Nayoko-Kihara » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:57 pm

The book sale was nuts. It was like a mini Black Friday, there were more people than I've ever seen at one of these things in my city. At one point, thirty minutes or so into it, there was at least 50-60 people squished into the (moderately sized) conference room they were using (splitting it between two would've gone a long way in making it more comfortable, and there wouldn't have been a waiting line to get in).

On top of the mass of adults and 7+yrs kids running around, people kept bringing their exceptionally small and upset babies in with them - often in strollers that were way too large (I'm looking at you, woman that brought her 3 walking toddlers and double-wide stroller for her crying twin infants). One woman had a small shopping cart that took up a ton of room. There were three boxes of VHS tapes I was initially interested in, but ALL of them were educational films about trains. And I was right about the overflowing stacks of paperback romance novels.

I spent a straight 4 minutes standing in exactly the same spot at the fiction table because the older woman beside me slowed the line up by looking over the same set of five books and chatting with her friend across the table, while people on either side of her were boxed in. The children's books were extremely popular, every time they brought out a new cart of them half the adults in the room pounced, it's like they were laced with gold. They were down to the last cart just an hour in. By the end of my time I was no longer finding things I really wanted, so I grabbed a few hardcover books of decent quality that I'm going to try trading in at 2nd & Charles for store credit.

I accidentally touched a lot of butts today
Last edited by Nayoko-Kihara on Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nayoko-Kihara
Devotee

Postby TotallyUncool » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:01 pm

That does sound like quite a sale! And accidental butt-touching event.

I really, really need to start exercising regularly again - I feel like I'm burning the candle at both ends and in the middle, and I'm long past the point where I can afford to do that very much. For me, though, it's a matter of finding the time, like just about everything else I should be doing. At least I'm managing to walk about a mile to a mile and a half twice a week after work (doing a circuit around each level of the parking structure up to the top, then back down to my car) - but I should be doing at least that much every day, and probably about three miles.
If madness made us strong, we would all be invincible.
TotallyUncool
#Member

Location: Gaslighting myself, but then again, I would do that, wouldn't I?
Favorite Idol: Siao Fongfong '66

Postby erilaz » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:28 am

I found out yesterday that I missed the Friends of the S.F. Public Library's huge annual book sale at Fort Mason, which happened to be last weekend. Oh well. I don't often go to that sale, since getting there on public transit takes nearly two hours and costs almost $7 each way, even though I usually find something that makes it worth it. Last year I bought ten books there for a total of $18, but nothing I really needed.
"Experience in the acquisition of European languages can help you to learn Japanese about as much as it could help you to acquire the language spoken by the inhabitants of Mars." — Lafcadio Hearn
erilaz

Favorite Idol: 矢口真里

Postby Starra » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:28 pm

So I had that cardiology appointment today...

Spoiler: show
Turns out that I'm perfectly fine. I was hoping that that'd be the case, but I have shit luck and it's also really hard to tell with heart stuff. There is a bit of leakage, but the conduit itself is fine and my heart isn't showing any signs of enlargement/regurgitation. If it continues at this pace, I won't need surgery for maybe 5ish more years or so? It's not imminent at least.

The only bad thing is that it means that now I have to actually start exercising and taking care of my body. And now I have no excuse as to why I can't. Sure as fuck beats having surgery again for now, though.
♡中澤裕子・紺野あさ美・萩原舞・尾形春水・金澤朋子・田村芽実・梁川奈々美・加賀楓・上國料萌衣・清野桃々姫・山﨑愛生・鞘師里保・須藤茉麻♡
Starra
Prophet

Favorite Idol: Nakazawa Yuuko

Postby TotallyUncool » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:41 pm

Congratulations, Starra!
TotallyUncool
#Member

Postby boinsie » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:49 am

^^ Hooray! And hey, you seemed to be able to handle walking a lot more than usual in Japan. Just aim for that at first! Take a daily walk in your neighborhood. :heart:
boinsie
Guru

Postby DSQueenie » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:54 am

Have you considered Pilates? It's low impact but it does wonders for building muscle.

As for book sales... I haven't been to one in a while. I used to shop almost exclusively in second hand booksellers but sometimes it's nice to create the creases in the spine yourself.

Since moving to London (I can't believe it's been two years already!) I haven't been to the library. Unlike Edinburgh it's actually pretty tough to go to the main Library in Kings Cross as it's so popular. They do exhibits there but to get a reading membership is really hard. My local library in West London is pretty lame unfortunately.
I used to have a Tumblr about Idols...
DSQueenie
Minion

Postby Starra » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:40 am

I haven't really looked into anything like that, since I find it hard to even just... sit on the floor :lol:. I'm not flexible at all (blame the back surgery for that one!). It might be an idea, though!

boinsie: I was actually pretty surprised at what I was able to do in Japan. That made me think that I was pretty okay, but it is hard to tell sometimes with heart-related things since the symptoms are so vague and can overlap with so many other things unless it's really fucking bad, lol. But I'm also super unfit, which uh. Doesn't help :fear:.

Also, part of why I was getting a bit worried was that when I had my last surgery they said the conduit would last roughly 10 years. It's been almost 12 (as of next April). I know that that was just a very rough estimate at the time and that they have no real idea (especially when it comes to my exact heart condition). So now it's looking like it might last 15 years? I may need surgery on another part of my heart, but that's quite far in the future too.

I have no idea how I've managed to make it this far considering that I don't exactly take care of my heart, or the rest of my body :fear:. I like to think that it's because I haven't been using my heart that much. Although the cardiologists don't seem to agree :lol:.
♡中澤裕子・紺野あさ美・萩原舞・尾形春水・金澤朋子・田村芽実・梁川奈々美・加賀楓・上國料萌衣・清野桃々姫・山﨑愛生・鞘師里保・須藤茉麻♡
Starra
Prophet

Favorite Idol: Nakazawa Yuuko

Postby TotallyUncool » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:07 am

You have a very active mind, though, and I've been getting the impression from things that I have read that a high level of mental activity is also good for physical health in a lot of ways, so maybe that has made a difference.
TotallyUncool
#Member

Postby erilaz » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:16 pm

DSQueenie wrote:I used to shop almost exclusively in second hand booksellers but sometimes it's nice to create the creases in the spine yourself.

I buy the lion's share of my books second-hand, remaindered, or otherwise discounted. The main exceptions are important new Tolkien books and things I really want that probably won't show up at a bargain price anytime soon (Momoko's last photobook, for example). Even when I have credit card points or a gift card to use on Amazon, I'll most likely buy something on the Marketplace rather than from Amazon proper.
"Experience in the acquisition of European languages can help you to learn Japanese about as much as it could help you to acquire the language spoken by the inhabitants of Mars." — Lafcadio Hearn
erilaz

Favorite Idol: 矢口真里

Postby TotallyUncool » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:48 pm

I buy piles of used books - mostly at a handful of good thrift shops, plus Book-Off. I haven't been in a library in a while - for years (no, make that decades), I spent a lot of time in libraries, but at some point, my habits changed. I think it was around the time the Internet started to become more of a social environment for me (hello, endless chatter, goodbye attention-span!). But I still buy books. I think that the last new book I bought was The Cantos of Ezra Pound (the ones I had read had a major influence on the way that I at least wanted to write when I was younger, and I realized that I didn't have the full set - which is about 800 pages of utterly brilliant, frequently wrong-headed to the point of disaster, multilingual, cross-cultural, semi-coherent madness).
And I've been buying used copies of books on Chinese archaeology and early history (which kind of fits with Pound) on Amazon.
TotallyUncool
#Member

Postby TotallyUncool » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:00 pm

Extremely pointless and unjustified double-post:

I wrote a short, short story:
(Warning: strong language.)

Spoiler: show
The Madness of Snudd

Snudd got mad. He got really, really mad.
He got so mad that he said, "Drat!"
Then he felt better.
And that was the end of the Madness of Snudd.
TotallyUncool
#Member

Postby Moh » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:30 am

I already tweeted it, but happy birthday to boinsie! :party:
Moh
Prophet

Postby CaptainBerryzGiraffe » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:56 am

yayay Boinsieee :D :D :D
Happy ba-sude-!
No Berryz, No Life.
Please people, I'm a "he" not a "she".
CaptainBerryzGiraffe
Devotee

Location: A giant crocodile-shaped island next to a huge apple
Favorite Idol: Cappy, Daaishi, Duu, Maho

Postby Zunu » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:40 am

Apologies for breaking the rules a bit but this is a fairly small gif and apropos to the occasion:

I hereby suggest we call this "BMO DAY" on account of Boinsie and MOh's cake day!

HAPPY BMO DAY!
Zunu
Pantaloon

Favorite Idol: @notoarisa

Postby TotallyUncool » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:00 am

Happy Birthday, Boinsie and Happy Birthday, Moh!
TotallyUncool
#Member

Postby Amped » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:04 am

Happy BMO Day :mp:
Amped
Priest

Postby boinsie » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:24 am

Thank you, guys! :heart:
boinsie
Guru

Postby Moh » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:13 am

Thanks, y'all. And that gif is super cute, Zunu. :lol:

I went to Chili's and had a nice time. I tried a black cherry margarita, and while it was definitely unique, I can't say I liked it much. :fear: The fajitas I had were pretty good, though!

I got 25 dollars and some pretty good spice cake. I already spent the 25, but still have spice cake left. :lol:
Moh
Prophet

PreviousNext

Return to Hello! Project