Random Thread ~The Duck Saga Pt. 17~

Morning Musume。'14, Berryz Kobo, ℃-ute, S/mileage, Juice=Juice, Hello!Project, TNX, and more

Moderator: Moh

Re: Random Thread ~The Duck Saga Pt. 17~

Postby erilaz » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:38 pm

DSQueenie wrote:In one month it will be my six year anniversary on JPlop.

I just noticed that my tenth anniversary was six days ago. :butbut:
"Experience in the acquisition of European languages can help you to learn Japanese about as much as it could help you to acquire the language spoken by the inhabitants of Mars." — Lafcadio Hearn
erilaz

Favorite Idol: 矢口真里

Postby Celedam » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:24 pm

resop2 wrote:I wonder why at some gas stations I can fill my tank with the pump only stopping once when the tank is full while at other stations the pump will stop every one and a half seconds?

There is a vapor sensor in the nozzle. When it senses the gasoline vapor being pushed back up the fuel filler neck by a full tank, it shuts off the pump. If that sensor is malfunctioning, or if the weather is particularly hot and/or humid (which makes gasoline more volatile, so that it releases more vapor — that’s why we have “ozone action days”), or even if you simply insert the nozzle at the wrong angle, it can prematurely trigger the shutoff.
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby TotallyUncool » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:24 pm

Earlier today, I found a Kindle 4 at Salvation Army for $10.95. I hadn't bothered to get one before (I have the ridiculous habit of accumulating massive amounts of printed books - mostly used/out of print, and cheap, but still rather bulky :roll: ), but I figured the price was right. Naturally, I wound up spending several hours figuring out that it needed a manual firmware update to connect to Amazon, but once I did that, it was fine. And I now have both volumes of Cassandra Khaw's Rupert Wong series on it.

I also managed to get jplop up and running on the Kindle 4's not-very-easy-to-use "experimental browser" - which works, but I think I'll stick to my Galaxy 4 for everyday use. XD

Edit: I just made the mistake of doing a Google search for Kindle hacks - I don't even care that much, but maybe if I'm really, really bored some day... :mikihead:
If madness made us strong, we would all be invincible.
TotallyUncool
#Member

Location: Gaslighting myself, but then again, I would do that, wouldn't I?
Favorite Idol: Siao Fongfong '66

Postby Zunu » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:15 pm

^ That book looks kind of interesting, so I bought it. (Well the combo version.) Thanks. :thumbs-up:
Zunu
Pantaloon

Favorite Idol: @notoarisa

Postby TotallyUncool » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:16 pm

So far, it's pretty entertaining!
TotallyUncool
#Member

Postby DSQueenie » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:38 pm

erilaz wrote:
DSQueenie wrote:In one month it will be my six year anniversary on JPlop.

I just noticed that my tenth anniversary was six days ago. :butbut:

Time moves so fast, I just can't believe I was a teenager when I first posted here!
I used to have a Tumblr about Idols...
DSQueenie
Minion

Postby TotallyUncool » Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:03 pm

In some ways, I feel like I've reverted to being a teenager since I started posting here (and at JPM before that). Which is not a bad thing, all in all - and I'm beginning tot hink that it might actually be one of the defining qualities of at least the early 21st century.
TotallyUncool
#Member

Postby Starra » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:34 pm

I'm supposed to be an adult, but I don't think I am. Though I don't think that's entirely related to JPlop...
♡中澤裕子・紺野あさ美・萩原舞・尾形春水・金澤朋子・田村芽実・梁川奈々美・加賀楓・上國料萌衣・清野桃々姫・山﨑愛生・鞘師里保・須藤茉麻♡
Starra
Prophet

Favorite Idol: Nakazawa Yuuko

Postby DSQueenie » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:38 pm

I'm rudely reminded of my adulthood on the first of the month when I have to pay my bills. (Though it is nice to get paid!)

I think you're right TU the 21st century is the age of the teenager. People don't hide their passions anymore they wear their passions on their sleeves.
I used to have a Tumblr about Idols...
DSQueenie
Minion

Postby TotallyUncool » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:58 am

Yes! In some ways, it's become a world dominated by fandoms, with everybody going full throttle, and making no apologies for the strange and wonderful things they love.

And the amount of back-and-forth communication online - great and small, profound and trivial, or just plain weird and half-crazy - makes us all more like teenagers having an endless and breathless late-night conversation about anything and nothing and everything, all at the same time!
TotallyUncool
#Member

Postby Starra » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:48 am

I think it's a good thing, in a lot of ways. It means people can talk about things without being embarrassed, and more importantly it provides more of an opportunity to learn about a stupidly wide range of topics. It's also enabled like-minded people to find each other and talk about their fandoms, although an echo chamber can also be a very bad thing. But there is a difference, imo.

It also enables nerds like myself to look up answers to questions raised during real life discussions, such as where the words "wazoo" and "razoo" come from, and how many teats horses have.
Starra
Prophet

Postby Celedam » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:57 am

Starra wrote:It's also enabled like-minded people to find each other and talk about their fandoms, although an echo chamber can also be a very bad thing.

Expand that to cover all aspects of social life, not just fandoms, and then take it to its logical end…

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Diamond_Age#Phyles

We're already halfway there today. The Diamond Age was released 1995, when the Internet was just starting to be widely used. Fast forward another twenty or thirty years, and, well… <shrug>
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby Starra » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:29 am

That's an interesting concept. I can definitely see that we're heading towards that kind of thing online in a sense. I try my best not to lock myself in an echo chamber because I disagree with the idea of being in one, but at the same time, some days I just can't be fucked dealing with people who think differently than myself :lol:.
Starra
Prophet

Postby Zunu » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:35 pm

Weird, the political commentator Michael Gerson just mentioned phyles the other day. I guess it's an idea, like "meme" and "cryptocurrency," that had to simmer for a bit and wait for reality to catch up to achieve ubiquity. As for Stephenson, he's one of those authors, like Charlie Stross, who can spit out mind-blowing concepts at such a rapid-fire pace that it literally can take my breath away at times. It's like watching a virtuoso freestyle rap performance with the subject matter being tech instead of yo mama.

Regarding the necessity of leaving the echo chamber, I totally agree in principle, but in practice it often seems that when people with diametrically opposed positions have a "frank and honest dialog" they wind up just becoming more intransigent. Which can be depressing.
Zunu
Pantaloon

Favorite Idol: @notoarisa

Postby Nayoko-Kihara » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:58 pm

The library is having a book sale tomorrow to clear out old rotation and make room for newly donated material. I'm excited that for the first time I'm going to be there when they open instead of 4-5 hours into the sale when everything has been pretty thoroughly picked over.

Way too excited. :lol:
Nayoko-Kihara
Devotee

Postby erilaz » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:50 pm

I've scored some incredible deals on wonderful stuff by being at library book sales right when they opened.

And I've scored some incredible deals on wonderful stuff when I've showed up at library book sales hours after they opened, because I have unusual interests. XD
"Experience in the acquisition of European languages can help you to learn Japanese about as much as it could help you to acquire the language spoken by the inhabitants of Mars." — Lafcadio Hearn
erilaz

Postby Nayoko-Kihara » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:03 pm

I usually come out with something even if I show up late, it'll just be nice to finally have more options beyond a small general fiction section and the overflowing stacks of paperback romances and random "Stark Trek" novels. :lol: It's especially exciting because it's a $1 fill-a-bag sale, and my mom agreed to come with me to find stuff for my sister (and to have a second tote, just in case).

The last time we went to a library sale I made the mistake of bringing a particular friend along instead. I know I'm a slow when browsing, but the speed at which she shot around the room and grabbed up everything I was even mildly interested in was amazing (and annoying). I made it out with two books that day, but the only one I remember is a slightly beat up hardcover copy of "Rebecca".
Nayoko-Kihara
Devotee

Postby TotallyUncool » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:34 pm

I haven't been to a library sale in far too long - my schedule and sleep cycle are so crazy now that I don't even get to yard sales. I miss doing things like that, and at some point, I'd like to get back to sort-of-semi-normal hours. (The other day, I got a full night's sleep and woke up around mid-morning on a day when I didn't have to drive into the office - it was the first time I'd done that in so long that I almost didn't know what to do with myself XD )
TotallyUncool
#Member

Postby Denki » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:14 pm

I only went to my local library once. I went in, and immediately left after finally stepping in. I’m just too shy to go in, which it isn’t the same with book stores. I guess libraries are not for me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
モーニング娘。'16 ☆ アンジュルム ☆ カントリー・ガールズ ☆ つばきファクトリー
☆ 生田衣梨奈・羽賀朱音 ・横山玲奈・牧野真莉愛 ☆ 佐々木莉佳子・笠原桃奈 ☆
☆ 梁川奈々美 ☆ 和田桜子 ☆ 新沼希空・小野田紗栞 ☆ 山崎夢羽 ☆
Denki
Devotee

Favorite Idol: えりぽん

Postby erilaz » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:33 am

I love libraries and always have. When I was a kid, trips to the public library were a necessary part of my life. When I was in junior high and high school, as soon as I finished eating, I'd spend my lunch period in the school library. Nowadays, I swing by Berkeley Public Library most weekends, mainly to borrow DVDs, since I have to go to U.C. Berkeley for the Heavy Linguistic Stuff®. When I graduated from U.C. Berkeley, I spent a few hundred dollars for a life membership in the alumni association, because the perks included a free library card. Best investment I ever made.

And I always love a good Friends of the Library book sale. If I know about it and it's convenient, I'm THERE. Since Berkeley Public Library has had Friends of the Library book shops open year-round (one in the main branch downtown and a larger one in another major business area), their big book sales haven't been as spectacular as they were in the '80s and '90s. Back then, the annual book sale was a Very Big Deal, and I'd be lined up well before it opened on the first day to get the good stuff (which for me means heading straight toward the Foreign Language section). It was especially satisfying when I was in grad school and would find required textbooks at a significant discount. When I took French for Reading Knowledge, most of the students in the class had to pay something like $30 for the textbook, but I had already scored a copy at the BPL book sale for 35 cents. XD
erilaz

PreviousNext

Return to Hello! Project