Random Thread ~The Duck Saga Pt. 17~

Morning Musume。'14, Berryz Kobo, ℃-ute, S/mileage, Juice=Juice, Hello!Project, TNX, and more

Moderator: Moh

Re: Random Thread ~The Duck Saga Pt. 17~

Postby boinsie » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:23 pm

My weather is pretty normal: mid-forties (7-8C) with intermittent rain all week.
boinsie
Guru

Postby erilaz » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:28 pm

Celedam wrote:If you’re really missing winter weather that much, you’re welcome to come to the Midwest.

For the record, I wasn't complaining. :)
"Experience in the acquisition of European languages can help you to learn Japanese about as much as it could help you to acquire the language spoken by the inhabitants of Mars." — Lafcadio Hearn
erilaz

Favorite Idol: 矢口真里

Postby CaptainBerryzGiraffe » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:35 am

Just did my taxes and instead of getting ~$300, I had to pay ~$70. Meh.
No Berryz, No Life.
Please people, I'm a "he" not a "she".
CaptainBerryzGiraffe
Devotee

Location: A giant crocodile-shaped island next to a huge apple
Favorite Idol: Cappy, Daaishi, Duu, Maho

Postby resop2 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:38 am

^
That means that the government didn't get to use your money interest free last year.
resop2
Skeptic

Postby Celedam » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:27 am

Anything less than $500 in either direction (refund/due) is negligible. There's no such thing as perfect withholding. It seems like a big deal only if you're young and don't have much income to begin with. (Same reason why time seems to pass more quickly as you get older — each additional year is a smaller and smaller part of your total lifespan.)
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby esm » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:59 am

The weather has been crazy lately. It'd go up to 40℉ and then go down to 20℉ or lower the next day, then up again a day or two later.
esm
Devotee

Favorite Idol: Reina, Eripon, Nakky

Postby TotallyUncool » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:04 pm

I can't even remember the last time that the temperature in the SGV went below freezing - we've had a few hailstorms (including one big one a year or so ago), but the actual air temperature never got that low. The last time that I saw puddles ice over around here was decades ago, I think. I kind of miss days that actually feel a little bit chilly.
If madness made us strong, we would all be invincible.
TotallyUncool
#Member

Location: Gaslighting myself, but then again, I would do that, wouldn't I?
Favorite Idol: Siao Fongfong '66

Postby resop2 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:31 am

My local mall is taking a beating. First Macy's then Sears closes, and now Bon-ton has filed for chapter 11. Also, game stop closed their second store.
resop2
Skeptic

Postby Celedam » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:38 am

Since last Saturday evening, I've been experiencing mild, intermittent swelling and numbness around my left temple and cheek.

While I waited for it to get either better or worse, I did what everyone does these days: I googled the symptoms.

The possible causes are:

- Pinched circulation and/or nerve due to improperly fitted eyeglasses;
- Clenched teeth;
- Viral or bacterial infection, maybe progressing from a stye I had last week;
- Temporal arteritis;
- Trigeminal neuralgia.

It seems to be getting better, so I'm thinking it was an infection.
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby Celedam » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:51 am

^ It's still not 100%, but it's definitely getting better. So, life-changing medical crisis averted.

At its worst, though, my tinnitus was muted and I heard/felt a strange clacking in my left ear whenever I leaned forward. Like a bell clapper hanging down and hitting the side of… whatever. Weird. I'm just going to assume it was swelling due to infection pushing stuff out of place, because I don't want to think about what else it might have been.
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby TotallyUncool » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:47 pm

^It's good that it's turning out to be transient.

Fun With Eyeballs: At the moment, my left eye has an artificial lens, and my right eye still has its natural lens. I'm supposed to have the right eye done in a few months, but for now, I'm wearing interim glasses with radically different corrections for each eye, which is a little strange at times.
The artifical lens is generally quite good - it's the standard monofocal type, set to focus at about arm's length. Beyond that, I'm mildly nearsighted, which is OK, and the colors are quite good (cataracts tend to mute colors).
But I have noticed something a little odd, and kind of funny (in both senses of the word): with my left eye, at the distance where the focus is good (with or without glasses), I've been seeing a noticeable amount of aliasing along distinct edge contours. Aliasing, as in pixelation artifacts. Which you really aren't supposed to see in the everyday world. :fear:
I'm pretty sure that it's a side-effect of the artifical lens (the edges show up as non-aliased in my right eye), but I did grow up reading Philip K. Dick, and with all the current speculation about whether this world is a simulation, I do sometimes wonder...
On the other hand, I'm actually OK if it is a simulation - that seems as good as just about anything else, and better than a lot of possibilities.
But on the other, other hand, I do find myself occasionally saying to nobody in particular as I walk around the house, "Excuse me, but when did this world become so low-res?" :mikihead:
TotallyUncool
#Member

Postby boinsie » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:12 am

Joking aside, that's definitely feedback to give to your opthalmologist. :hehe:
boinsie
Guru

Postby Starra » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:58 pm

So the weather's been in the low 20℃ range lately. At night it's been 6℃ a couple of times :crazy:. Yesterday we had over 50mm of rain after almost a month of nothing (we had about 6mm on the 1st but it didn't feel like much, lol) and it only got to 20℃ but today it's meant to get to 29℃ and tomorrow is meant to be 30℃ and sunny.

But perhaps the worst part is the fucking humidity. As someone who sweats a lot and finds it hard to sleep it sucks. Nature, why? D:

Also, apparently this is the first time it's rained this weekend in this town in 30 years. There's a wine & food festival that's held in this town every year on this weekend because it's *~*guaranteed*~* to be sunny. Except this year.

I (at least partially) blame climate change for the weather being all over the place like this. We keep getting weird weather systems and tropical cyclones and pretty much everywhere has had the hottest January on record (but that's normal for everywhere, lol). I dunno, it just seems pretty bad when one of the places farthest south is reaching 32℃ at any rate.
♡中澤裕子・紺野あさ美・萩原舞・尾形春水・金澤朋子・田村芽実・梁川奈々美・加賀楓・上國料萌衣・清野桃々姫・山﨑愛生・鞘師里保・須藤茉麻♡
Starra
Prophet

Favorite Idol: Nakazawa Yuuko

Postby Celedam » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:18 pm

Today I learned my flatware (knives, forks, spoons) is from a pattern that was discontinued in 1997, shortly after I bought it. Which means it qualifies as antique. Which means its worth something on the aftermarket for replacement pieces.

I learned this because I discovered today that I lost a teaspoon, and it'll cost me $27–35 (depending on the condition) plus shipping to replace it. One teaspoon!

I know it's silly, I can survive with one fewer teaspoon, but this is the sort of thing that will bug the hell out of me. I have a compulsion to complete sets. (I'd call it an OCD, but people with real, crippling OCD hate that.) So I'm spending the money just so I can stop thinking about it.
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby erilaz » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:10 pm

I couldn't care less whether my flatware is a complete or mismatched set, but as a collector I understand your compulsion. I've been working on filling some of the gaps in my collection of mint, never hinged, U.S. postage stamps, and I'm at the point where almost everything that I need is on the pricey side. Recently my focus has been on the Fourth Bureau Issue, and the spotty fill on my album pages is like someone poking me with a pointed stick.

The 1923 Harding Memorial Issue is particularly vexing. I have #610–12, but I will never be able to fill the one empty space (#613) on the album page. When I say never, I mean never: there are no known mint examples of #613, and used it has a catalog value of $40,000, with only 51 known examples. That empty space practically burns my retinas.
"Experience in the acquisition of European languages can help you to learn Japanese about as much as it could help you to acquire the language spoken by the inhabitants of Mars." — Lafcadio Hearn
erilaz

Postby Zunu » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:49 am

See, this is why I don't collect things. Okay, honestly the #1 reason is that I have too much stuff already and not nearly enough place to put it all, nor sufficient motivation to keep it well organized. But secondarily, I always feel like I'm on the cusp between owning things and my things owning me, and I don't like being there. Already it bugs the hell out of me when japanese songs scrobble like "¯Â­µ¼Ö (µ²¥Lª©) — §A­nªº·R" and that's like a first world problem's first world problem.

At the same time I GREATLY admire people who can successfully manage to impose complete order on the entropy of the natural world; their homes, their car, their clothes, their finances, their work environments, their personal relationships; everything appears to be exactly in place. If they own CDs, everything is in the right case, and organized by some overarching principle, everything FLAC/ALAC ripped and tagged, etc. No "¯Â­µ¼Ö (µ²¥Lª©) — §A­nªº·R" for them. An acquaintance of mine is like that. If you talk to her, she seems to not have anything going on in her head, and her professional competence is frankly minimal -- e.g. she's always "losing" email on Outlook. Yet every aspect of her life has to all outward appearances been completely put into shining, burnished order: house and car completely paid for, clothes always stunningly color coordinated and accessorized, secure retirement plans with no debts whatsoever, desk 100% free of clutter, her networking skills are among the best I've experienced; there's never even a slight wobble of instability with her and her longtime bf; it's all been mapped out entirely. I'm positive that if I ever visited her home, not only would her flatware be matched, but more than that, it's inconceivable that she would lose a teaspoon in the first place. I hang my head in the face of that.

About that 1923 Harding, probably the #613 problem would've made me rage-quit stamp collecting entirely. Like tossed the album into the trash and poured pancake syrup over it before I changed my mind. See, this is why I don't collect things. :giggle:
Zunu
Pantaloon

Favorite Idol: @notoarisa

Postby TotallyUncool » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:45 am

I'm a completely unsystematic collector, and I generally maintain an environment that's somewhere between casual disorganization and chaos. I pick up reasonably valuable things (rare books and artwork) more or less by chance at yard sales for next-to-nothing prices (along with a lot of extremely unvaluable junk), or I let things sit in boxes somewhere until they become valuable (or until they become compost).
And they're all kind of random.
I have not one, but two entire sets of mint-condition gold-plated flatware (cheap quality, I have no doubt) sitting on a closet shelf - given to my ex-wife and me by my former father-in-law (who probably picked them up on impulse from some gray-market vendor for not very much at all, since that was pretty much his style). The stuff that I actually use is all utterly unmatched thrift shop/yard sale junk (with an occasional heavily-worn antique thrown in), and to me, that's extremely confortable.
I'd have to say that for me, a lot of the appeal of collecting is the randomness, the casual disorder, and the occasional item of great interest or value that turns up in a pile of random semi-trash. Or maybe that's just the way I conduct my life in genreal. XD
TotallyUncool
#Member

Postby erilaz » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:08 pm

TotallyUncool wrote:I generally maintain an environment that's somewhere between casual disorganization and chaos.

As I've accumulated more and more stuff, my "museum" has veered more and more in this direction. There's a well-organized core, but more recent acquisitions tend to be imperfectly integrated, if they're integrated at all. Certain collections are more organized than others, and I've managed to maintain this organization in some cases better than others. In general, I'm better at maintaining lists of what I have or what I need than I am at storing the actual stuff in an orderly fashion. My stamp collection is probably the best organized of the lot, but even there I have envelopes and (small) boxes of random stuff that doesn't really fit into the organized and catalogued main collections.

Zunu wrote:I have too much stuff already and not nearly enough place to put it all

That describes my own situation perfectly, but unfortunately it doesn't keep me from wanting to accumulate more crap! At least stamps, unlike some other things that I collect, don't take up much space....
erilaz

Postby Zunu » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:45 pm

Changing the subject, went to the movies today and the cinematic bass drop was like in 3 movie trailers AND an M&Ms commercial. Speaking of trailers you would think that there would be some maximum number of trailers beyond which diminishing returns would result and so they would not want to show in excess of that. (Especially now with assigned seats being standard, eliminating the main reason to arrive to your seat early.) But, it appears not.
Zunu
Pantaloon

Favorite Idol: @notoarisa

Postby TotallyUncool » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:58 pm

It's been a while since I've been to a movie theater (watching an actual movie just seems like such a committment), but what always struck me about trailers is how inappropriate so many of them are for the audience and how generally all-around bad the movies they're pitching seem to be.

Stamps and recorded music/video are the kinds of thing that make organization relatively easy (although the bulkiness of vinyl and CDs/DVDs makes wverything difficult after a while XD ).
It's the semi-random printed items - books, posters, handbills, zines, pamphlets, dittoed PTA cookbooks from 1959, semi-tragic teenage love letters written on birchbark in green sharpie (I think that one turned up pressed in the pages of a used book :wacko: ), etc. - that somehow manage to defy all attempts at not only organization, but also coherent storage or display.
(And Japan/Taiwan/HK CD packaging gimmicks deserve a whole chapter of their own in the Big Book of "Where Do I Put This?" :roll: )
TotallyUncool
#Member

PreviousNext

Return to Hello! Project