The Morality of Idolatry

Morning Musume。'14, Berryz Kobo, ℃-ute, S/mileage, Juice=Juice, Hello!Project, TNX, and more

Moderator: Moh

Re: The Morality of Idolatry

Postby TotallyUncool » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:35 am

Chibs wrote:Image
does this mean i am a horrible person? Because I do want Eririn to return.

Zunu wrote:Thought you wanted Eric to marry Aichan for a sec.

Either of those sounds perfectly reasonable to me. XD
If madness made us strong, we would all be invincible.
TotallyUncool
#Member

Location: Gaslighting myself, but then again, I would do that, wouldn't I?
Favorite Idol: Siao Fongfong '66

Re: The Pointless H!P Musings/Rants Thread

Postby Bakajo Nono » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:17 pm

Celedam wrote:Idols exist to sell you a product, and that product is a little bit of relief from your real-world problems. CDs, DVDs, concert tickets, and merchandise are just the tokens by which they sell you that product.

So we can't question the morality of an industry itself just because it exists to sell a product? Nope. Don't buy it.
Bakajo Nono
Acolyte

Favorite Idol: Eri Kamei

Postby resop2 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:26 pm

You know, following the idol industry is really bad. We should instead follow more morally upright forms of entertainment, like the ballet.

Oops, never mind.
resop2
Skeptic

Postby Bakajo Nono » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:30 pm

Yeah, because that's what we're talking about and is completely comparable. Why do you need to make this into some straw man argument?
Bakajo Nono
Acolyte

Postby resop2 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:07 pm

^
The post was a joke, based on the ongoing scandal at the Boshoi Ballet where the artistic director Sergei Filin was brutally attacked with acid as a fall out of his not pushing a ballerina who had crossed the director at a previous company.
resop2
Skeptic

Postby Bakajo Nono » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:14 pm

My bad.
Bakajo Nono
Acolyte

Postby questorminator » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:36 pm

Bakajo Nono wrote:
Celedam wrote:Idols exist to sell you a product, and that product is a little bit of relief from your real-world problems. CDs, DVDs, concert tickets, and merchandise are just the tokens by which they sell you that product.

So we can't question the morality of an industry itself just because it exists to sell a product? Nope. Don't buy it.

I believe we can question about the morality of the industry itself. Changing it to satisfy our concept of a morally "right" industry is another.

Of course there's also the fact that we absolutely can't do anything about it..... :whistling:

Not going against you, mind you. I believe you when you say we can question it simply because we can as fans/consumers.
questorminator
Acolyte

Favorite Idol: Sayashi Riho

Postby Bakajo Nono » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:27 am

questorminator wrote:
Bakajo Nono wrote:

I believe we can question about the morality of the industry itself. Changing it to satisfy our concept of a morally "right" industry is another.

Of course there's also the fact that we absolutely can't do anything about it..... :whistling:

Not going against you, mind you. I believe you when you say we can question it simply because we can as fans/consumers.

I don't mean to like ~*~*~*~call anyone out~*~*~*~ or anything. I know we can't do anything. But it's just something I've wanted to talk about with other fans since it's always been a bit of an ethical dilemma for me and this is the only forum where I can do so XD

And sorry, what do you mean by?:
Changing it to satisfy our concept of a morally "right" industry is another.
Bakajo Nono
Acolyte

Postby AyuHikaru » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:48 am

We can't change it, but we can QUESTION it which can, in some cases, lead to change. Change didn't happen by keeping your mouth shut. It's a long shot, considering we're Westerners and it isn't geared toward us, but it's good to question the problems in ANY thing.

Like I said before, Comic Books, Hollywood, Television, video games, and even BOOKS have their fair share of problems, as well. It's not like it's limited to just the idol industry, but as fans we absolutely have the right to question that which we enjoy.
AyuHikaru
Devotee

Favorite Idol: Harunan, Murotan

Postby questorminator » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:15 am

^
^
It means I should screen my comments before I post them and not write them as they come off my brain. :mikihead:

Anyway, it depends on what kind of change we actually want. Will it make the industry itself thrive, or do we want change simply because we don't want certain elements in it?

Of course there will be stuff that some of us can't take. It took me years to buy my first photobook, and up to now, I still can't leave it where other people can see it. I imagine there are lots of foreign fans who can't take a bikini shot of a 14-year-old girl. Maybe UFP can consider making more fashionable PBs with less skin? Still a stretch, but if UFP listens to their non-Japanese audience, they can market their idols in ways that doesn't have to be hardcore Japanese.
questorminator
Acolyte

Favorite Idol: Sayashi Riho

PreviousNext

Return to Hello! Project