7th Station ~TV, movies, games~

Morning Musume。'14, Berryz Kobo, ℃-ute, S/mileage, Juice=Juice, Hello!Project, TNX, and more

Moderator: Moh

Re: 7th Station ~TV, movies, games~

Postby erilaz » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:04 pm

The one film that I absolutely have to see at this year's SF Indiefest:

"Sometimes it seems as though the whole point of the Japanese writing system is to keep non-Japanese people from understanding what the hell is going on." — Dave Barry
erilaz
Lazarus

Favorite Idol: 矢口真里

Postby Zunu » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:25 pm

FYI, Vimeo has that movie for rental/purchase. Not free, but a bit cheaper than Indiefest. Sometimes half the fun of those goofy j-films is to see them with enthusiastic crowds, tho. :unsure:
tending to put ~ on song titles since 2002
Zunu
Pantaloon

Favorite Idol: 能登有沙

Postby erilaz » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:56 pm

^ Thanks, but I do enjoy the experience of going out to the movies and seeing things on the big screen. I also like to show my support for the kinds of movies that I like, especially foreign and indie films, when they show up at festivals or in wider release. And if directors or cast members show up for Q&A, so much the better.

Be that as it may, at least 80% of the (many) movies that I see each year are viewed at home, whether on DVD, Blu-ray, VHS, streaming, or even an occasional crappy low-res download, if I can't find a better version.
"Sometimes it seems as though the whole point of the Japanese writing system is to keep non-Japanese people from understanding what the hell is going on." — Dave Barry
erilaz
Lazarus

Favorite Idol: 矢口真里

Postby Celedam » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:55 am

I'm not a DC guy — the only recent DC movie I liked was The Dark Knight, and that was mostly for Heath Ledger's performance — but this looks promising…

Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby CaptainBerryzGiraffe » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:15 am

Going to see Lazer Team today!

I love roosterteeth, and them coming out with a movie will make it all the better! I CAN'T WAIT!!! :D
No Berryz, No Life.
Please people, I'm a "he" not a "she".
CaptainBerryzGiraffe
Devotee

Location: A giant crocodile-shaped island next to a huge apple
Favorite Idol: Cappy, Daaishi, Duu, Maho

Postby Celedam » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:02 am

Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby Celedam » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:51 pm

With the recent talk about the NEXT YOU drama, Kago's latest comeback, OGs going on to become actresses, and the general classiness of UF and H!P, I decided to re-watch Satoshi Kon's first major film, Perfect Blue

The last time I watched the film was many years ago, before I got into H!P and developed a personal interest in specific idols. Before then, I only knew of idols as part of the overall Japanese pop culture industry. So watching it again now was significantly creepier, because it's a little too easy for me to imagine a member of H!P in the role of the protagonist. Knowing the twist ending made it easier to spot the clues, however, much like with The Sixth Sense.

Unfortunately, the film has not aged well otherwise. It was produced in the mid-90s during the real-life dark age for idols, before SPEED and the original Morning Musume made them popular again, so its portrayal of idols and their place in the industry is… not kind. Also, the technology shown in the film is conspicuously outdated now, and one of the plot points depends on the protagonist's ignorance of that technology. Such ignorance might have been plausible at the time, but not anymore.

Nevertheless, I recommend the film to any of you who like psychological thrillers and have strong stomachs.
Last edited by Celedam on Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby Celedam » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:35 am

"The long night is comin', and the dead come with it."

Valar morghulis, baby.
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby Celedam » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:48 am

I just got back from seeing Deadpool with my friends.

(yes, we waited until the second weekend. we're not cattle. we don't do crowds.)

Believe the hype. It's fantastic. The commercials and previews, as exhaustive (and exhausting) as they might seem, actually show very little of the movie. In fact, they're padded with off-shots that aren't in the finished movie.

If you enjoy superhero movies — or action-comedies in general — and don't mind the R-rating, I recommend the hell out of it. This sucker deserves every penny it has made and will make.

And believe what you've heard: it is a hard R. You have been warned. If you see any kids in the theater, smack their parents.
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby Nayoko-Kihara » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:38 pm

Consumed a lot of TV while my computer was out.

Managed to catch up on/start "The Walking Dead", "Downton Abbey", "Penny Dreadful", "Outlander", "Z Nation", "The Returned", "Call the Midwife", and "Jessica Jones". Maybe little bits of one or two more that I'm forgetting, we had a lot of long nights.
Nayoko-Kihara
Devoted Devotee

PreviousNext

Return to Hello! Project