7th Station ~TV, movies, games~

Morning Musume。'14, Berryz Kobo, ℃-ute, S/mileage, Juice=Juice, Hello!Project, TNX, and more

Moderator: Moh

Re: 7th Station ~TV, movies, games~

Postby erilaz » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:12 pm

Celedam wrote:I'm annoyed by the absence of my personal favorites, Nausicaä of the Valley of Wind (1984) and Kiki's Delivery Service (1989).

Both of those were in last year's program.
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2 ... hom-events
"Sometimes it seems as though the whole point of the Japanese writing system is to keep non-Japanese people from understanding what the hell is going on." — Dave Barry
erilaz
Lazarus

Favorite Idol: 矢口真里

Postby Zunu » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:33 pm

^ And I see that "Whisper" was shown in 2016, so I'll have to retract my complaint as well!
tending to put ~ on song titles since 2002
Zunu
Pantaloon

Favorite Idol: 能登有沙

Postby Celedam » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:01 am

iZombie and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. both resumed this week. Yay!
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby Zunu » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:03 pm

^ I'd really like AoS to get off this extended "fugitive" track so they can go back to proactively going after baddies. Operating under the radar is one thing, but being constantly on the run, it gets exhausting and repetitive after a while.
Zunu
Pantaloon

Postby Celedam » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:44 pm

Agreed.

But you gotta admit, the writing this season (so far) has been significantly better.
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby Celedam » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:36 am

Celedam wrote:"I can explain it, I can explain everything… No, I can't."

http://gravitasventures.com/dave-made-a-maze/
https://itunes.apple.com/movie/id1239603044

Now on Hulu, for those who have Hulu…

https://www.hulu.com/watch/1189398

---

Also, Legion Season 2…

"Where ya been?"
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby Celedam » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:21 am

"We got one advantage: he's comin' to us…"

Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby esm » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:21 am

I watched Altered Carbon (on Netflix). It's a lot of cheesy dialogues and okay-ish acting, and the plot went to hell way too fast all of a sudden, but the visuals and overall setup (cyberpunk theme and all that) were good enough that I watched most of the season in a day.
esm

Favorite Idol: Reina, Eripon, Nakky

Postby Celedam » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:57 am

^ I read the book years ago and wasn't impressed by it. I wrote at the time…

Spoiler: show
As a pulp thriller, the story is tight and well paced, and it hits all of the points that a reader would expect from a pulp thriller.

As cyberpunk sci-fi, it's hopelessly cheesy and poorly thought out. It became clear after the first several chapters that the author is not well versed in his chosen genre or in the underlying technology, fictional or otherwise. Some tech described in the story is advanced beyond recognition, while some seems unnecessarily stunted and mundane, and the cultural context doesn't fit any of it.

Unfortunately, the plot of the thriller depends heavily on the described technology, so the story never comes together like it should. The characters' choices and motivations simply don't make sense after a while, given the social and technological options that *should* be available to them.

The book is good enough for me to finish it, but not good enough for me to pick up the next.

Of course, I don't know (yet?) if that Netflix adaptation is better or worse than the book, or even if it is an adaptation and not an all-new story that simply reuses some of the names and concepts from the book.

I love cyberpunk and have almost since the beginning (Sterling, Gibson, Jeter, Williams, Stephenson), but… <shrug> …I'm in no great hurry to watch that particular bit of cyberpunk. I still need to see Blade Runner 2049, and there's plenty of great anime/manga in the genre.
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby Zunu » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:44 pm

I thought the series was enjoyable enough if you didn't squint too hard. The visuals were great. Not quite up to 2046's level but certainly on par with any other cyberpunk prior to Villeneuve's masterpiece. The whole idea of sleeving, while maybe old-hat in 2018 -- it was practically a throwaway tech in the Dark Matter universe -- can still elicit a SFnal thrill here. The lead came off as a cut rate Thomas Jane impersonator, but in his defense I suppose there's only so many ways to play noir without resorting to 1940s shtick. What nearly killed it for me was Dichen Lachman's portrayal. I mean, I practically worshipped the woman before this. Now... It's sort of like Scarlett Johannson post-GiTS, just not the same any more.

I devoured the whole book series back when. It didn't stick with me much, though from what I remember I don't think it aged well. I mean I was devouring Piers Anthony and David Eddings too, enough said.
Zunu
Pantaloon

PreviousNext

Return to Hello! Project