7th Station ~TV, movies, games~

Morning Musume。'14, Berryz Kobo, ℃-ute, S/mileage, Juice=Juice, Hello!Project, TNX, and more

Moderator: Moh

Re: 7th Station ~TV, movies, games~

Postby Celedam » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:10 pm

Twitch was bought by Amazon, and Amazon has been cross-promoting its other streaming video services through Twitch.

One way Amazon is doing that is by running marathons of old television shows on the channels TwitchPresents and TwitchPresents2. The idea seems to be to get Twitch users hooked on the shows and then remind them that they can use Amazon to catch up on episodes they missed.

For the month of August, TwitchPresents is running a K-drama marathon in order to promote DramaFever, which can also be bought through Amazon.

This is a roundabout way for me to explain how I happened to spend the last four hours watching the first three episodes of Goblin: The Lonely and Great God

DramaFever wrote:A fabled "goblin" attempts to end his life by marrying a human priestess, but things get complicated when he starts to actually fall for her, and in turn, finds a new reason for wanting to stay alive.

https://www.dramafever.com/drama/4914/goblin-the-lonely-and-great-god/

AsianWiki wrote:In ancient times, Kim Shin (Gong Yoo) is an unbeatable general in wars, but the young king (Kim Min-Jae) is jealous of Kim Shin and kills him. Kim Shin becomes Dokkaebi (Goblin), possessing an immortal life. At first he thinks that he is blessed, but he realizes that he is cursed.

Closer to the present day, Kim Shin has waited 900 years for a human bride to end his immortal life. One night, he saves a dying pregnant woman (Park Hee-Von) who is destined to die. Meanwhile, the Grim Reaper (Lee Dong-Wook) is unable to find the dead pregnant woman. The woman gives birth to a baby girl named Ji Eun-Tak (later played by Kim Go-Eun). Nine years later, Ji Eun-Tak lives with her mother and is able to see ghosts. One night, her mother suddenly dies. On that night, she meets the Grim Reaper.

In the present day, Ji Eun-Tak is a high school student. She still sees ghosts and hears their whispers of “Dokkaebi’s bride”. She now lives with her aunt’s family, but she is mistreated by them. On her birthday, Ji Eun-Tak sits by the sea with a lighted birthday cake. At that time, Kim Shin suddenly appears in front of her. Kim Shin does not know why, but he can hear her voice and appears in front of her against his will. Coincidentally, Kim Shin lives with the Grim Reaper at the same house.

Now, Kim Shin appears in front of her against his will, whenever she turns off the lights. One day, Ji Eun-Tak tells him that he is Dokkaebi and she is his bride.

http://asianwiki.com/Goblin_%28Korean_Drama%29

I enjoyed the hell out of it. It's hilarious and sweet and epic and tragic all at the same time, and it is exceedingly well produced to boot. A lot of the humor comes from the friendly rivalry between the Goblin and the Grim Reaper, who inadvertently become housemates near the beginning of the series. And the female lead, the Goblin's Bride, is adorable.

Now I have to figure out how to watch the rest of this series within DramaFever's free trial period. If I start over from the beginning — and I probably will — it's equivalent to a three-hour movie every night for a week.
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby Celedam » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:24 am

Celedam
Devoted Devotee

"luc-warm"

Postby Zunu » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:53 pm

I have somewhat lukewarm feelings about this. His body of work as Jean Luc Picard stood well on its own. It will now have an altered legacy. Will that legacy be improved, exactly the same, or diminished? Obviously we can't know, but there are relatively few ways to make something great even better, and myriad ways to make it worse.

I also wonder how much time will have passed. In real life he's about 25 years older than the end of the series. In his era, I'd imagine that for someone to have apparently aged 25 years, that at a minimum 50 of their years would have passed. (In the first TNG Episode, Bones looked maybe 40 or 50 years older than his TOS self but he was actually around 90 years older.) Those future people should damn near be like Bagginses with their life extension therapies, and increasingly closer to immortality as time goes on. And the passage of 50 years should yield some seriously improved technologies from what we've seen. If ancient tech like transporters continues to have a worse safety record than BASE jumping, that's a problem. Transporters should be 99.999% foolproof. (Consider that even now in the crude early 21st century we've made airplane travel almost perfectly safe.) I don't have extremely high confidence that they will be able to convincingly demonstrate that Federation technology and engineering has advanced far beyond Voyager levels. But I'd certainly be happy if they do.
tending to put ~ on song titles since 2002
Zunu
Pantaloon

Favorite Idol: 能登有沙

Postby Nayoko-Kihara » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:08 pm

This is probably one of the few things that could make me consider returning to the new Trek show(s).
Nayoko-Kihara
Devoted Devotee

Postby Zunu » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:46 pm

So a smart move on their part then. (It'll be on "CBS All Access," a/k/a "CBS Paid Access.")
tending to put ~ on song titles since 2002
Zunu
Pantaloon

Favorite Idol: 能登有沙

Postby Nayoko-Kihara » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:54 pm

If I go back to them, it will be via DVD only (assuming they release them). :lol:
Nayoko-Kihara
Devoted Devotee

Postby Shoujo Q » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:33 pm

Is it still possible to do region changes with Netflix? Because from what I’m aware, where CBS All Access isn’t available, shows like Star Trek Discovery are being given to Netflix for people to watch.
Shoujo Q
Devotee

Favorite Idol: Suu-san

Postby Celedam » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:35 pm

Not within an existing Netflix account. You’d have to use a VPN to create a new account from another country.
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby CaptainBerryzGiraffe » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:35 pm

I started watching this over-the-top show called "Into the Badlands". It's very very good, but has a few flaws that can be overlooked. (Acting, props, special effects are sometimes a bit meh.) Story is compelling, characters have great development, and overall just a great show. 3 seasons so far, ~8 episodes each, and there's a fourth incoming.
No Berryz, No Life.
Please people, I'm a "he" not a "she".
CaptainBerryzGiraffe
Devotee

Location: A giant crocodile-shaped island next to a huge apple
Favorite Idol: Cappy, Daaishi, Duu, Maho

Postby Celedam » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:25 am

For anyone who cares but did not yet hear the news: Season 3 of Attack on Titan has begun and is already up to Episode 4. I just learned this yesterday, while I was reviewing my various queues.

https://www.funimation.com/shows/attack-on-titan
https://www.crunchyroll.com/attack-on-titan
https://www.hulu.com/attack-on-titan
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

PreviousNext

Return to Hello! Project