7th Station ~TV, movies, games~

Morning Musume。'14, Berryz Kobo, ℃-ute, S/mileage, Juice=Juice, Hello!Project, TNX, and more

Moderator: Moh

Re: 7th Station ~TV, movies, games~

Postby Zunu » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:32 am

Starra wrote:Yeah, R&S was too much for me -- never really liked it. Then again, I was probably a bit too young and didn't get it.
Also, I should probably mention that my favourite genre is comedy. I enjoy a good laugh more than anything. Darker things are okay from time to time, but eh, they're not really for me.

Celedam was definitely right about Aeon Flux, then. It wasn't really funny ha-ha at all, just funny strange. I'd still recommend you give The Venture Bros. a peek. It's kinda hilarious. Well, it's hilarious to me, but then again, it's hilarious to me. :fear: I introduced it once to a friend and we were very nearly not friends after that, :lol: . Anyway, the backstory is this:

There was once a 1960's American adventure cartoon called Jonny Quest which must've been very popular with young boys, because it got replayed for decades and even rebooted a couple of times in the 1980's and 1990's. It was about a kid named Jonny who tagged along on adventures in mysterious savage lands with his genius scientist/adventurer/widower father, a loyal tough-as-nails pilot, a mystical Indian orphan boy, and a little bulldog. And they battled some recurring villains and inhabited this world which was a mishmash of spies, dictators, archaeologists, mad scientists, and aliens. A kind of proto-Indiana Jones universe but with a very 1950's-1960's sensibility.

Now imagine that, in an alternate universe, a Jonny Quest type character grew up, but unlike his genius father, had reverted to the mean and was a man of no particular talent. He eventually inherited all of the toys, gadgets, the fortune, the huge research complex, the oversized ego, and a certain status based purely on his father's reputation. But he never really understood how any of the advanced products and prototypes worked beyond the script kiddie or tinkerer level, and was now just a kind of middle aged has-been/never-was sliding into oblivion; playing at being a distinguished scientist with all kinds of important ideas and arch-enemies, but fooling no-one but himself. He calls himself Doctor Venture. Now he has his own badass sidekick (voiced by Patrick Warburton!) and goes on bumbling quests with two teen boys of his own, who are even stupider than he is. He has one arch-nemesis who is a similarly incompetent evil mastermind, and a motley assortment of other failed super-friends and foes whom he frequently crosses paths with.

He spends his days trying to make a discovery or invention that will finally push him out of his father's shadow, and validate his own super-scientist credentials, but is forever doomed to mediocrity and endlessly whiny self-pity.

So anyway, if that sounds interesting, give it a shot. The first season, though probably necessary, is arguably worst, because (1) certain aspects weren't quite fleshed out yet (2) their writing/animation/voice acting skills were still immature and (3) the writer/creators hadn't quite realized just how far they could turn the knobs on their world and get away with it. Hint: Very far. Very very far.
tending to put ~ on song titles since 2002
Zunu
Pantaloon

Favorite Idol: 能登有沙

Postby Panic Nancy » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:40 am

All this talk reminds me how much I hated dark or adult themes in my animated shows when I was a kid. It wasn't that I didn't like that kind of stuff, but if it was in something animated, it terrified me. The scariest thing to me was the main character being alone or being surrounded by insane people with no one friendly to talk to. And... shirtless men. That was the worst, lol.

My favorite animated series is probably Little Bear. :fear:
Panic Nancy
Minion

Postby otaku_blue » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:52 pm

OMFG

Diigimon 15th Anniversay Special. 1st Season characters in High School adventures, spin off of Season 2?
otaku_blue
Devotee

Postby Nayoko-Kihara » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:56 pm

They've been teasing it for a little while now with silhouette images of the characters. I hope it's as much fun as the original series was (and that it gets released over here with a dub; Digimon has, for whatever reason, always been one of those shows I don't like watching without a dub).
Nayoko-Kihara
Devoted Devotee

Postby otaku_blue » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:42 pm

I hope they make it somewhat a little bit mature for the fans who grew up, and still want to watch it but don't have to tolerate something as lame as Digimon Xros Wars.
otaku_blue
Devotee

Postby Nayoko-Kihara » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:12 pm

There is going to be a manga series based on Agatha Christie's "The A.B.C. Murders". While exciting, the sample art for Poirot is terrifying; he looks like he just tied Random Damsel to the train tracks and will begin his evil laugh any moment now.
Spoiler: show

Though I will probably still (try to) read it.
Nayoko-Kihara
Devoted Devotee

Postby stam4o » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:29 am

Hmmmmmmm..... :smoke:
stam4o
Minion

Favorite Idol: Akari,Sayumi,Maachan,Riho

Postby DSQueenie » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:53 am

It's the eyebrows that are off, they are freaky. O-O
I used to have a Tumblr about Idols...
DSQueenie
Acolyte

Postby Celedam » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:09 am

Well, David Suchet's Poirot is considered definitive, so for comparison…

Spoiler: show
Celedam
Devoted Devotee

Postby Nayoko-Kihara » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:12 pm

It wouldn't be as creepy if they just rounded the eyebrows a little more (though I can see where they got the arch idea from, thanks Celedam), and made the pupils slightly bigger to balance the size of the eye.

Though I freely admit to having been spoiled by the NHK Poirot.
Nayoko-Kihara
Devoted Devotee

PreviousNext

Return to Hello! Project